Value of: Tavares at the deadline

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The Isles already own 2 first rd and 2, 2nd rd picks this upcoming draft. They could add a 3rd 1st if they deal JT. I look at it as an opportunity to rebuild the roster around Barzal. I know they have a new Finnish head scout named Kautonen. Looking at his picks he seems to be going more euro. But he did pick Bellows which looks like a great pick right now. So maybe this is not such a bad idea. Plus if they want to resign JT in the summer, they still could.
Their advantage to signing JT is the extra contract year. If they trade him they lose that, and I don't see him coming back. That said, if he doesn't sign by the deadline I absolutely trade him, and I'd start listening to offers now.

Reactions: IODCPiper

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Their advantage to signing JT is the extra contract year. If they trade him they lose that, and I don't see him coming back. That said, if he doesn't sign by the deadline I absolutely trade him, and I'd start listening to offers now.
I have no problem with your decision because youve come out and in no uncertain terms made a decision. I do have one with those who will blame Garth if he does as you suggest, and you know there is a section of our fan base who will

trading John is a step back for the team, we all know that. but there is an argument to be made for it. After all the cap is a real thing. I applaud your willingness to state your position beforehand,

like Vanek and Nino before, there are decisions that are made tha tare forced upon you, that youd rather not make if you had your druthers. Im just tired of the people who unlike you, choose to second guess. People have a right to decide as you have. I acknowledge that, respect that, I just expect people to own their decisions like you have

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If Tavares reaches July 1st without a contract, Marc Bergevin is going to throw anything and everything including the kitchen sink at him!

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
If Tavares reaches July 1st without a contract, Marc Bergevin is going to throw anything and everything including the kitchen sink at him!
but it wont get him, unfortunately for habs fans Tavares doesnt crave the spotlight, in fact he avoids it.

if I had to bet my life on it, montreal is the very last place he'll end up

Tampa, Toronto, even the Rangers I can see as possible, Montreal no chance he doesnt want the constant spotlight. one of his best friends is Pk Subban and from what Ive heard from people who know both, Subban told him that he'd want no part of the circus

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If he leaves the Islanders, money isnt the issue, its winning. Which puts a big fat X on Montreal.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
but it wont get him, unfortunately for habs fans Tavares doesnt crave the spotlight, in fact he avoids it.

If he leaves the Islanders, money isnt the issue, its winning. Which puts a big fat X on Montreal.
I’m not saying Tavares will sign in Montreal.
Hell, I’m not even saying I want him to.
I’m just stating that Bergevin will go all in to get him.
Whether thats enough to do it or not, is out of my hands.
But MB will go after him, hardcore!!

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
he most likely will on that i agree, but why bring that on himself, Bergevin I mean, he has to know if he doesnt get tavares the fans will crucify him

even more than they do now

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

I agree. If Tavares makes it to free agency, many teams will go all in to get him. It's very difficult to get a legit 1C unless you have a top draft pick and even that is no guarantee unless you're picking in a good draft.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Tampa, Toronto, even the Rangers I can see as possible, Montreal no chance he doesnt want the constant spotlight. one of his best friends is Pk Subban and from what Ive heard from people who know both, Subban told him that he'd want no part of the circus

He would not want the spotlight of Montreal but would want to go to Toronto or the Rangers? I don't think you thought that out.

Tampa will have almost 12 mil in cap next year needing 8 players, I don't see how they afford Taveres.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
He would not want the spotlight of Montreal but would want to go to Toronto or the Rangers? I don't think you thought that out.

Tampa will have almost 12 mil in cap next year needing 8 players, I don't see how they afford Taveres.
i didnt say thats where he'll end up I just said they were possibilities that under the right circumstance could happen, i think they arent likely for a variety of reasons. but I am saying that he'd NEVER consider montreal because of what his buddy went through

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I know JT's stats are good this year, and I am not surprised he is flirting around top 10 in points. But really I have not been impressed by his play of late. Still producing but not at the level or impact one would expect for a player seeking a big payday. As mentioned earlier in the week, I would make him available. He could be the Kessel for a team that is close to winning a Cup. Perhaps the piece to put a team over. For the Isles they can add a 3rd 1st rd pick this summer which would be very enticing. Plus a prime prospect. And if they still want to re-sign JT this summer they can.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
That's... Interesting. So to be completely sure I understand what you wrote, you want to trade Tavares. A player who openly speaks about how he wants to stay, how he does not want to be traded, how he wants to be one of the players who play for one team for their whole career. A player who has been with NYI for his whole career up to this point and not because he didn't have better options.

And you want to trade him because he's currently having a bad month?
And you really think if Islanders trade him he will happily sign July 1st?
Oh wow.

But I mean, if a 3rd 1st round pick is more enticing than re-signing your franchise player... :huh:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
That's... Interesting. So to be completely sure I understand what you wrote, you want to trade Tavares. A player who openly speaks about how he wants to stay, how he does not want to be traded, how he wants to be one of the players who play for one team for their whole career. A player who has been with NYI for his whole career up to this point and not because he didn't have better options.

Oh wow.

But I mean, if a 3rd 1st round pick is more enticing than re-signing your franchise player... :huh:

I have to agree, with you, but I do understand where winter soldier is coming from. he like many are afraid of losing him for nothing

to be honest i think John miscalculated here, in his personal life he's getting married and he didnt realize how much of a distraction his status would be for the team. and it has been, but he wont negotiate n season he just doesnt believe in it. his focus is on the game and making the playoffs

John is indeed a distraction and it has hurt the team, but I wouldnt trade him either. knowing him and how important the things you correctly mention are to him, I have no choice but to give him the benefit of the doubt. if ever there was an Islander player whose earned that it is John. Loyalty is the focus of Johns life and Garth Snow knows that.

I may be wrong but I stand by our captain, and i fully acknowlege the risk

he's earned that respect

how can he be loyal to us if we arent to him? its a fair question

I understand islander fans fears, we have been burnt before many times, but never by John, he's given his all to this franchise since day one.

isnt a little faith in him something he has earned from all of us

well isnt it?

Bravo instant, Bravo for all I Know you may be Aryne Fuller his intended. if so please tell John. Islander fans are human, but for all our frailties we love this team as he has, its just the uncertainty has brought back deep seated fears, it wouldnt be so hard if we didnt love John.

Last edited:

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I know this situation is far from perfect and there's no obvious solution.

But I strongly believe that trading Tavares will result in losing him for good. He doesn't have a good reason to stay. The team is a mess more often than not, coaching situation is... well, let's just say I would love to have a serious talk with Weight, the GM is completely incapable of playing with the big boys, there's also the arena thingy and probably something that I'm not remembering right now. So right now the smart thing for Islanders would be to hold on to any kind of advantage they have. And that would be the fact they can offer him an extra year and the fact that they could be loyal to him the way he is loyal to them (he is, really, and if someone doesn't see that they're beyond help).

Trade him and you lose that.

The thing is, Tavares does not have a team that could take the weight of things when he's down, an advantage that many great players on other teams have. So when he is a bit down, when he plays a bit worse than in the begining of this season, there's no one to step up. I mean, Barzal kind of was, but I think Weight broke the boy, hopefully temporarily.

And I don't know if this is some kind of defence mechanism, but I really can't see the love the Islanders' fans have for Tavares lately. I know, I know. Crappy situation. But even if he's not traded, even if he signs with other team as an UFA, good lord, the guy gave the organisation and fans 9 years of his life. Was really all of it so bad that they can't spare a bit of love and respect for him?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
That's... Interesting. So to be completely sure I understand what you wrote, you want to trade Tavares. A player who openly speaks about how he wants to stay, how he does not want to be traded, how he wants to be one of the players who play for one team for their whole career.

Why is that talk supposed to have significant meaning at a point where he could simply translate those feelings into a signature on a contract?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I know this situation is far from perfect and there's no obvious solution.

But I strongly believe that trading Tavares will result in losing him for good. He doesn't have a good reason to stay. The team is a mess more often than not, coaching situation is... well, let's just say I would love to have a serious talk with Weight, the GM is completely incapable of playing with the big boys, there's also the arena thingy and probably something that I'm not remembering right now. So right now the smart thing for Islanders would be to hold on to any kind of advantage they have. And that would be the fact they can offer him an extra year and the fact that they could be loyal to him the way he is loyal to them (he is, really, and if someone doesn't see that they're beyond help).

Trade him and you lose that.

The thing is, Tavares does not have a team that could take the weight of things when he's down, an advantage that many great players on other teams have. So when he is a bit down, when he plays a bit worse than in the begining of this season, there's no one to step up. I mean, Barzal kind of was, but I think Weight broke the boy, hopefully temporarily.

And I don't know if this is some kind of defence mechanism, but I really can't see the love the Islanders' fans have for Tavares lately. I know, I know. Crappy situation. But even if he's not traded, even if he signs with other team as an UFA, good lord, the guy gave the organisation and fans 9 years of his life. Was really all of it so bad that they can't spare a bit of love and respect for him?
well said...

theres a certain section of our fanbase who have no loyalty whatsoever, they are entitled whiny children who I call the "chicken littles" they want everything Now and think they have a god given right to it. its just best to ignore them because they will never learn, they grew up being bullied by Ranger fans and they have a permanent inferiority complex, they cant help themselves. most of them missed the dynasty years so they feel they were cheated and as GOD is their witness somebody is gonna pay. in truth they are truly pathetic creatures because with 31 teams just by random chance you could go 40 years and win squat, but they wont accept that. like newborns who dont know any better, and they operate on one rule: 'cry and I'll get fed"

so as a newbie here Maam first let me say WELCOME and second be careful where you step, they tend to leave there dirty diapers lying to and fro, and I applaud youre very correct final paragraph, but like Newborns, they have no concept of gratitude, that only comes with maturity, sad but true.

where they came to the conclusion John Tavares owes them Something I'll never know. he's given this franchise his heart and soul. that should be enough

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Oh wow.

Why have Tavares. When you can have 3 picks that have a minute chance to be half as good as Tavares?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Why is that talk supposed to have significant meaning at a point where he could simply translate those feelings into a signature on a contract?

Because sometimes we do not get to have things that we want. Because contracts worth 70-100 million dollars can be quite tricky. Because Tavares don't want to do this during the season. Because he wants to resign ASAP, but needs something from the organisation/owners/whoever. Because he didn't make a conclusive decision.

And even when it comes to this and Tavares leaves (because sometimes we just don't get to have what we want), he still deserves the respect. What he doesn't deserve is calling his character and/or intentions into question, underselling his hockey talent and whatever else is going on at this moment.

well said...

theres a certain section of our fanbase who have no loyalty whatsoever, they are entitled whiny children who I call the "chicken littles" they want everything Now and think they have a god given right to it. its just best to ignore them because they will never learn, they grew up being bullied by Ranger fans and they have a permanent inferiority complex, they cant help themselves. most of them missed the dynasty years so they feel they were cheated and as GOD is their witness somebody is gonna pay. in truth they are truly pathetic creatures because with 31 teams just by random chance you could go 40 years and win squat, but they wont accept that. like newborns who dont know any better, and they operate on one rule: 'cry and I'll get fed"

so as a newbie here Maam first let me say WELCOME and second be careful where you step, they tend to leave there dirty diapers lying to and fro, and I applaud youre very correct final paragraph, but like Newborns, they have no concept of gratitude, that only comes with maturity, sad but true.

where they came to the conclusion John Tavares owes them Something I'll never know. he's given this franchise his heart and soul. that should be enough

Hey! I totally missed the dynasty years! I wasn't even born then :laugh: But thank you for the welcome and sure, I'll be extremely careful where I step!

I just think that at this point Tavares more than fulfilled his contractual obligations (well, he still has a few games to play, but I think you get my point), so if he wants to walk, if he really wants the real shot at the Cup... I will be sad, but I will also remember all the good things he did for this team. https://www.diki.pl/slownik-angielskiego?q=fulfill+contractual+obligations

Why have Tavares. When you can have 3 picks that have a minute chance to be half as good as Tavares?

Solid logic :laugh:

Reactions: 72hockey guy

ALEXIVICH CHULKATURI

Dec 5, 2010
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
This is just nonsense rhetoric. We're not willing to lose him just for another first round pick we're willing to lose him for the opportunity to sign future UFAS like Karlsson and Doughty. John Tavares has been playing uninspired hockey of late now picture him making 11 million dollars a year, the fans will make him rue the day he signed that contract. Then compound that with us having to forcefully trade are RFA's cause we can't keep them cause of cap restrain. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Because sometimes we do not get to have things that we want. Because contracts worth 70-100 million dollars can be quite tricky.
Not really. NHL contracts are standardized, and you have seasoned pros working on both sides. They were free to negotiate these things for years and could have finalized things since July 1st. The complexity of contracts isn't a valid reason.

Because Tavares don't want to do this during the season. Because he wants to resign ASAP, but needs something from the organisation/owners/whoever. Because he didn't make a conclusive decision.
There really is no reason to not want to do it during the season. He has an agent to do the actual negotiation, if he wants to stay rather than figure certain things out first, it's reasonable to just have his agent tell him what the numbers on the table are or when they met a number he's willing to go to. I agree that he might/probably needs something and/or hasn't made up his mind entirely. Those are the reasonable interpretations. That doesn't go against what I was saying.

And even when it comes to this and Tavares leaves (because sometimes we just don't get to have what we want), he still deserves the respect.
Unconditionally agreed.

What he doesn't deserve is calling his character and/or intentions into question, underselling his hockey talent and whatever else is going on at this moment.
What I said really isn't about his character (let alone his talent; I am aware you're most likely not talking about me there, but I'd prefer to deal with arguments that actually apply to my point). It's about realistically interpreting things professional athletes say to the public. Few dare admit they have questions about where their future lies, and the few that do tend to be harshly criticized (as we, probably including JT have rather recently witnessed with Doughty and Karlsson). Saying that you want to stay is the absolute standard in the business. Taking it as anything more in the light of everything that can be observed in this business just seems naive.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
When a player signs a contract a 18, he knows when he under that teams control for 7 years.
When a team signs a player at age 18, they know they have a control of that player for 7 years.

Now in this case Tavares signed an earlier contract an extension earlier and went past his 7 years as Islander.

I don't understand why fans are upset at players for using their contractual rights as UFAs and move on from their club. These same fans aren't upset when a UFA joins "their" team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad