Value of: Tavares at the deadline

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
AFAIK, his fiance is a physical therapist. I don't think she has a medical practice. Of course he will take her needs into account, but she would have no problem with employment anywhere. Between team owners, sponsors, and medical staff, every sports team has plum connections to the medical community. A well placed phone call easily gets the wife of the star player in the door.

That said, his income will be like 100 times greater than hers. I think that might factor in their decision.
Shes Way More Than A Simple Physical Therapist. Shes Working On A Masters degree And be On staff At Whatever hospital she Chooses.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
AFAIK, his fiance is a physical therapist. I don't think she has a medical practice. Of course he will take her needs into account, but she would have no problem with employment anywhere. Between team owners, sponsors, and medical staff, every sports team has plum connections to the medical community. A well placed phone call easily gets the wife of the star player in the door.

That said, his income will be like 100 times greater than hers. I think that might factor in their decision.

Well... I wonder what kind of rules there are, to hire the wife to a lucrative contract? Tavares to a 7 year, $7.5 million deal, the Mrs. to a $7 million deal???

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Patch, Mete is a solid core. The potential for the Habs to be a top 10 defense in the league is very good and Drouin and Galchenyuk are still maturing in their early 20's.

Current players under contract or RFA control...

- Price >>> Greiss

- Drouin < Barzal
- Patch = Eberle

- Weber = Leddy

- Petry > Boychuck

- Mete = Pulock

- Danault = Nelson

- Gallagher > Ladd

- Lehkonen = Beauvillier

- Galchenyuk = Lee

Habs core is also younger vs the Islanders!

Almost none of those names matter to me except Barzal, who is far and away the best piece in either organization.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Patch, Mete is a solid core. The potential for the Habs to be a top 10 defense in the league is very good and Drouin and Galchenyuk are still maturing in their early 20's.

Current players under contract or RFA control...

- Price >>> Greiss

- Drouin < Barzal

- Patch = Eberle

- Weber = Leddy

- Petry > Boychuck

- Mete = Pulock

- Danault = Nelson

- Gallagher > Ladd

- Lehkonen = Beauvillier

- Galchenyuk = Lee

Habs core is also younger vs the Islanders!
Your Nuts Buddy Lee Is Better Than Chucky And Boychuck When Not Injured is Better Than petry And You Totally Forget Bailey And Dehaan And The Isles 2 Firsts And 2 Seconds And The Isles Deeper Prospects Pool And Barzal Is Better Than any player you Have.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Well... I wonder what kind of rules there are, to hire the wife to a lucrative contract? Tavares to a 7 year, $7.5 million deal, the Mrs. to a $7 million deal???

If that was allowed, you would probably see it done all the time by the richest teams. Mrs. Stamkos would be the highest paid woman in Toronto.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your Nuts Buddy Lee Is Better Than Chucky And Boychuck When Not Injured is Better Than petry And You Totally Forget Bailey And Dehaan And The Isles 2 Firsts And 2 Seconds And The Isles Deeper Prospects Pool And Barzal Is Better Than any player you Have.

BS! Factor in age and potential.

- Lee is not better than the younger Galchenyuk. They are close and Galchenyuk is just touching his prime years and showing maturity.

- Boychuck is 4 years older than Petry and signed longer. Petry is clearly the better defenseman at this point.

- De Haan is a pending UFA. Until he is re-signed, he don't factor in

- Habs have a better 1st round pick and we also have 3-2nd round picks. Depends if the Islanders win the draft lottery I guess.

---- Islanders current projected top 100 picks: 12, 15, 43, 46, 74, 105
---- Habs current projected top 100 picks: 4, 35, 39, 56, 66, 97, 99*, 109

Unless the Islanders win one of the 1st 3 spots in the lottery ahead of the Habs, the Habs likely walk away with a very solid haul in this draft. Islanders will get a decent return as well but the Habs get a top 5 pick and a potential game changer talent.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Tavares with the Habs core >> Tavares with the Islanders core: Habs are deep on wing and in net while we have a better D vs the Islanders. Adding Tavares up the middle is a game changer for our line-up. Not saying he will sign with us for sure but we will meet with him if he becomes UFA.

Habs:
- Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Patch, Lehkonen, Danault, Petry, Mete, Lindgren, Hudon, Juulsen, Scherbak, Poehling
- 2018 Pending UFA's: Pleky, Hemsky, Jerabek, Niemi
- 2018 Key Pending RFA's: Danault

Islanders: Barzal, Leddy, Eberle, Ladd, Lee, Boychuk, Nelson, Clutterbuck, Greiss, Beauvillier, Pulock, Aho, Bellows, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle
- 2018 Pending UFA's: Tavares, Bailey, De Haan, Hickey, Seidenberg, Halak, Chimera, Kulemin
- 2018 Key Pending RFA's: Nelson, Puluck

Habs with Tavares... Not trying to offend you but he fits. Only RFA and contract the Habs need to worry about is Danault.

Patch / Tavares / Gallagher
Galchenyuk / Drouin / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Danault / Shaw
Deslaurier / DLR / Byron

Hudon, McCarron

Mete / Weber
Alzner / Petry
Schlemko / Benn

Juulsen, Morrow

Price
Lindgren
You ruined your own argument by having Gallagher on the top line. The Habs are week on the RW and don’t have a 1RW since Radulov left.
As for the Habs D.... it’s not that good.

If JT is smart, he blocks Bergevins number and stays as far away from Montreal as possible.
Habs need a rebuild, not a chance to ruin John Tavares’s career.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If that was allowed, you would probably see it done all the time by the richest teams. Mrs. Stamkos would be the highest paid woman in Toronto.

Well... maybe she didn't like the job, Canadian Tire had offered her in the meeting!!!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
BS! Factor in age and potential.

- Lee is not better than the younger Galchenyuk. They are close and Galchenyuk is just touching his prime years and showing maturity.

- Boychuck is 4 years older than Petry and signed longer. Petry is clearly the better defenseman at this point.

- De Haan is a pending UFA. Until he is re-signed, he don't factor in

- Habs have a better 1st round pick and we also have 3-2nd round picks. Depends if the Islanders win the draft lottery I guess.

---- Islanders current projected top 100 picks: 12, 15, 43, 46, 74, 105
---- Habs current projected top 100 picks: 4, 35, 39, 56, 66, 97, 99*, 109

Unless the Islanders win one of the 1st 3 spots in the lottery ahead of the Habs, the Habs likely walk away with a very solid haul in this draft. Islanders will get a decent return as well but the Habs get a top 5 pick and a potential game changer talent.

Sorry, neutral fan, and if given the choice of either roster, with Tavares, I'd take Islanders. I just think it is a better group, with more depth, and better prospects.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

Well, your argument is kind of... Isn't he getting paid wherever he goes? :laugh:

I think the Islanders would have the same selling points they have now - he knows the organization, he knows the area, he knows - apparently - that it's a place where he can imagine spending the rest of his career. I can't imagine him not being able to envision other places having appeal, as well, particularly in regards to being competetive for the cup, so I don't think any rental campaign would be an eye-opening experience. Depending on how he settles into life beyond the rink in that place, it might well embolden his long-term preference for Long Island.

I think we have to agree to disagree here, because in my opinion a rental would be, no, maybe not eye-opening, but an important experience that could affect his decision. But that would depend on where he would get traded - if to some place like Toronto then yeah, I could see him yelling "please let me go back to Long Island NOW I'll sign anything" :laugh: after a week, Cup contender or not, but if it were St. Louis, I would be worried.

I got the impression you were an Isles fan - as such, I'd imagine these discussions around JT would be rather omni-present in your hockey-experience, these days. And those dramatizations and mischaracterizations get especially old through repetition, in my experience. :)

Uuuuuuuh, well, I suppose you could say I am. I was way more into hockey before moving to Europe, then I said my goodbye to it, because I needed to have a sleep schedule of a normal person. But now with how the team was doing in the begining of this season and Barzal, who's getting more and more fun to watch I started getting interested again. I just like hockey. And Tavares seems like a good person and a great player, but what do I know, I'm not a hockey expert, more like someone who enjoys watching the game.

So I have a different perspective, because when I left, Tavares was the guy, true, maybe a little slow on ice, but there was a general consensus that he's a great player, great leader, has a great hockey IQ and he's the future of the Islanders. Now I'm back and he's too old, too slow, makes bad passes and it's like he's the worst thing that happen to this team. And I wonder if his game got that much worse (and I can't see it) or the fanbase is turning against him.

But no, I won't be crying if he walks. I will wish him all the best. (And yes, I'll be happy if he stays.)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You ruined your own argument by having Gallagher on the top line. The Habs are week on the RW and don’t have a 1RW since Radulov left.
As for the Habs D.... it’s not that good.

If JT is smart, he blocks Bergevins number and stays as far away from Montreal as possible.
Habs need a rebuild, not a chance to ruin John Tavares’s career.

Gallagher is a solid RW option on either your top line or 2nd line. Give your head a shake.

Habs don't need a rebuild. We disagree on this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No need to shake my head, but you might want to give it a go if you think Gallagher is a legit 1RW.

Gallagher had two injury seasons in 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 but has rebounded nicely this year. Here is an article written in 2016. Not saying Gallagher is ranked 9th still but I do think he is a legit top 50 RW in the NHL today. Some would have him in the top 30 for sure. He's ranked 36th in RW scoring at the moment playing with Pleky as his center.

Ranking the top 20 right wingers in the NHL, by the numbers - Sportsnet.ca

You also don't think Gallagher can put up Bailey numbers if he was playing with Tavares? Come on man.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I think we have to agree to disagree here, because in my opinion a rental would be, no, maybe not eye-opening, but an important experience that could affect his decision. But that would depend on where he would get traded - if to some place like Toronto then yeah, I could see him yelling "please let me go back to Long Island NOW I'll sign anything" :laugh: after a week, Cup contender or not, but if it were St. Louis, I would be worried.
Oh, sure, I certainly can't rule that out - that's well said. Sure, with Toronto for example, the entire craziness of such markets makes it particularly obvious. But even on another level, when guys have made a home in one place, you never really know how they settle in elsewhere. But obviously, that can also go the other way, and fueled by an emotional high of a successful playoff run - it certainly could shape his decision to move on.

Uuuuuuuh, well, I suppose you could say I am. I was way more into hockey before moving to Europe, then I said my goodbye to it, because I needed to have a sleep schedule of a normal person. But now with how the team was doing in the begining of this season and Barzal, who's getting more and more fun to watch I started getting interested again. I just like hockey.
Yeah, NHL hockey and a normal person's sleep schedule are a bit tough over here. :laugh: I'm kinda still transitioning from university student sleep schedule, which mostly reflected the Pacific Time Zone given Ducks games, and now settling into something the body of a person working regular hours can sustain. It's an... uneven process, so far.

And Tavares seems like a good person and a great player, but what do I know, I'm not a hockey expert, more like someone who enjoys watching the game.

So I have a different perspective, because when I left, Tavares was the guy, true, maybe a little slow on ice, but there was a general consensus that he's a great player, great leader, has a great hockey IQ and he's the future of the Islanders. Now I'm back and he's too old, too slow, makes bad passes and it's like he's the worst thing that happen to this team. And I wonder if his game got that much worse (and I can't see it) or the fanbase is turning against him.

But no, I won't be crying if he walks. I will wish him all the best. (And yes, I'll be happy if he stays.)
The relative distance in between those points of reference probably makes it a somewhat odd thing to see happen. The good thing about tying your passion for hockey to the game itself rather than any individual players certainly is a bit of a different perspective on the decisions that come with the business side of it. Certainly a healthy attitude.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think the Blues likely wait until the off-season, but we are one of the few teams 1) not in the East, 2) have the cap space and need with Stastny coming off the books, 3) have the supporting cast and contender status to land Tavares in FA or in a trade.

What better location than STL?

Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Hoffman?
Steen Berglund Thompson
Upshall Brodziak Jaskin

Dunn Pietrangelo
Edmundson Parayko
Bouwmeester Schmaltz

Allen
Hutton

Mike Yeo
Doug Armstrong

We can afford to pay Tavares 11.5Mx7, and there is no better roster than that for contention next year.

If we had to trade for him at the deadline, STL offers (according to the Kovalchuk package):

Thompson
Sobotka
Barbashev
‘19 1st
‘18 2nd

But we would honestly offer any prospects in the system, including Kyrou, Thomas, Kostin, Walman, and Husso - in addition to being able to offer Fabbri.
The Sharks are another interesting team for Tavares. We might not be able to offer as much in a trade but

Couture-Tavares-Hertl
Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Donskoi-Tierney-Labanc
Hansen-Goodrow-Sorenson

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
but it wont get him, unfortunately for habs fans Tavares doesnt crave the spotlight, in fact he avoids it.

if I had to bet my life on it, montreal is the very last place he'll end up

Tampa, Toronto, even the Rangers I can see as possible, Montreal no chance he doesnt want the constant spotlight. one of his best friends is Pk Subban and from what Ive heard from people who know both, Subban told him that he'd want no part of the circus
is this true? has he ever said this?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Gallagher is a solid RW option on either your top line or 2nd line. Give your head a shake.

Habs don't need a rebuild. We disagree on this.
The Habs suck. They literally have no character and roster a team full of, at best, very vanilla players. Who is a superstar on that team? (Hint, it ain't even the goalie.... way to overpay).

The Habs need to tear it all down and build over the next five years. Instead, enjoy your veteran bandaids.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
is this true? has he ever said this?
Yes he has. before he was drafted he talked of being the buffalo bandits stickboy with his uncle John and how being part of a small community for his whole career like his uncle resonated with him. He said he doesn't crave the spotlight as some athletes seem to and tries to avoid it. And after being an islander, he said it suited him, he's said being an islander is like a family. He's even referred to his teammates as his "Brothers" So saying I want to be an Islander is entirely consistent with everything he's said since before he was even drafted.

Does that sound like A guy who would enjoy the "All Habs, All The Time" Circus of Montreal to You?

Last edited:
Reactions: Instant

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Oh, sure, I certainly can't rule that out - that's well said. Sure, with Toronto for example, the entire craziness of such markets makes it particularly obvious. But even on another level, when guys have made a home in one place, you never really know how they settle in elsewhere. But obviously, that can also go the other way, and fueled by an emotional high of a successful playoff run - it certainly could shape his decision to move on.

It's a high risk - high reward (well, at least to some of the people) situation. The question is does the risk of trading him and losing in the consequence is worth getting the pick? Or maybe forget about a pick and get the extra months to try to convince him to resign.

Let's not forget that in his career in the NHL Tavares played only for the Islanders. It's only one team, one front office and it looks like they work in the exact way they did 15 years ago. Sure, he has friends in other teams who can talk about their experiences and sure, he can imagine some of it, but it will always be different than actually being there and playing there and living there.

Yeah, NHL hockey and a normal person's sleep schedule are a bit tough over here. :laugh: I'm kinda still transitioning from university student sleep schedule, which mostly reflected the Pacific Time Zone given Ducks games, and now settling into something the body of a person working regular hours can sustain. It's an... uneven process, so far.

I was on a normal person's sleep schedule during uni. It's when I finally got a job that I could make some changes to accomodate hockey games. It helps that I don't need to be at the office every day. But you gotta love the 1 pm ET games!

The relative distance in between those points of reference probably makes it a somewhat odd thing to see happen. The good thing about tying your passion for hockey to the game itself rather than any individual players certainly is a bit of a different perspective on the decisions that come with the business side of it. Certainly a healthy attitude.

Ooooh lord, do I get attached to players... It's tragic :laugh: But I also always wish them all the best in their career and try to understand the reasons behind their decisions. And Tavares has a lot of reasons to try something other than the Islanders, so who could blame him? Definitely not me.

Reactions: Vipers31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad