Value of: Tatar to LA Kings

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Nothing mentioned here really makes me want to pull the trigger. Rather wait and see if something better can be shaken loose from another team before Tatar's contract is up.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Tatar is a high end complementary player. His current stats are more related to the guy driving his line than him. Stick him with Kopitar and a competent D hes easily a 30 goal scorer. If you look at how he is being deployed internationally it is pretty clear GMs think the same. It would not be unreasonable to see him put up 40 goals with the right setup man or men. For whatever reason he is just one of those guys that gets chemistry with very specific people. On Detroit we simply do not have the passing or puck carriers from the D to utilize Tatar fully. Tatar is not a particularly skilled puck carrier.

I am not sure what he is worth but probably gets a 1st. Probably not Vilardi. Range is probably Mid Second and Upper Mid Prospect up to Vilardi (but not necessarily including).
what are you high on? you could put Tatar with Gretzky in his prime and he wouldnt score 40 or anywhere near that. this is a guy with 7 even strength goals in 55 games. thats a pace of 10 a season

step back into reality

Reactions: deaderhead28

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Tatar is a high end complementary player. His current stats are more related to the guy driving his line than him. Stick him with Kopitar and a competent D hes easily a 30 goal scorer. If you look at how he is being deployed internationally it is pretty clear GMs think the same. It would not be unreasonable to see him put up 40 goals with the right setup man or men. For whatever reason he is just one of those guys that gets chemistry with very specific people. On Detroit we simply do not have the passing or puck carriers from the D to utilize Tatar fully. Tatar is not a particularly skilled puck carrier.

I am not sure what he is worth but probably gets a 1st. Probably not Vilardi. Range is probably Mid Second and Upper Mid Prospect up to Vilardi (but not necessarily including).

The difference is huge between Vilardi - who went 12th and probably should have went top 5 - and a mid-second rounder with a upper-mid prospect.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
what are you high on? you could put Tatar with Gretzky in his prime and he wouldnt score 40 or anywhere near that. this is a guy with 7 even strength goals in 55 games. thats a pace of 10 a season

step back into reality

Sorry, buddy, but Tatar has already scored 29 goals in a year where he spent half the year with Datsyuk and half the year with Sheahan.
He would easily score 40 with a Gretzky in his prime.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Sorry, buddy, but Tatar has already scored 29 goals in a year where he spent half the year with Datsyuk and half the year with Sheahan.
He would easily score 40 with a Gretzky in his prime.

one year in a 7 year career, he scored 29 thats called a fluke and thats still nowhere near 40

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Would love to see him with Kopitar, just can't see us throwing more than a 3rd and a mediocre prospect out for anyone. No offense to Tatar/Wings, I think he's worth more than we can give.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

step back into reality

Tatar scored 29 goals with Sheahan as his center. I'm pretty sure he could do better with 'prime Gretzky' than he did with Riley Sheahan.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
i'd be willing to trade for Tatar even if it costs us either JAD or Amadio

the $$$ on Tatar's contract is the issue since we currently have roughly $3m in capspace
If that's the only hangup, Detroit would do some retention if they liked the return enough.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'd probably make the deal JAD + 2nd for Tatar. But I'd wait to see where LA is at the TDL. Its a tough ask. LA is low on good prospects, so I wouldn't make that move if the Kings don't have a chance.

Yeah seems like this is a pretty fair deal and a lot of fans on both sides think roughly the same. If Tatar was a rental I think a prospect like JAD would be pretty fair but Tatar has term left so you add a second round pick. If Detroit takes on a contract or retains salary you might see the price go up a bit.

But overall thats a pretty good start I think. Someone above mentioned how Tatar is a really good complimentary player and its true. You stick him with a good center he can really finish. I would expect 30 goals playing Kopitar.

Would a 2019 first rounder be available or whats LA's take on moving first rounders?

Reactions: Petes2424

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
To trade that first, on top of the already proposed pieces, I’d reckon that half of Tatar’s contract needs to be eaten.

Not advocating it as LA needs their draft picks, but there it is.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
OK, here's the deal. We want your goal scoring winger. Tatar
Great! Let's negotiate.

But, you can't have a first. Oh. And you can't have Vilardi. Or Clague.
Oh, OK.

How about Dolan?
Oh, not him either.

OK, Amadio could work.
Sorry, he's already penciled in on our team.

Realistically, the Kings aren’t looking to trade their first, Clague, or Vilardi. Dolan and Amadio are definitely fair game, as are a few of the defensive players the Kings have (LaDue, Forbort, Gravel, Folin, Fantanberg).

Clague and Vilardi are the only blue chip prospects the Kings have, but Tatar won’t likely command a blue chip prospect in return.

Some Kings just ask for too much :)

For what it’s worth, JAD looks like a stud in the making.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
JAD and a 2nd is ideal. Problem is the Kings would have to send salary back so either Thompson, Mitchell or Clifford.
Just can't see Kings giving up Thompson.Good PK guy and has grit this team has been missing.Clifford would be the player I would guess would go.Center depth is a must.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I like JAD + 2nd round pick. Tatar provides goal scoring and will likely score anywhere from 20-30 goals each year he's under contract. This Wings team has little in the way of play making forwards or d-men and that's probably why his stats are so mediocre this year.

Detroit could probably eat salary to make the deal work.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
You said Gretzky in his prime. Not me.
yes i did , dave semenko never scored 40 with Gretzky did he?

You cant take dog meat and turn it into filet mignon no matter how fancy you package it. Tatar on a pace for 10 even strength goals this year qualifies as dog meat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad