Helene St. James Tatar the latest Detroit castoff to disappoint

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
he has 8 points after 6 games . Its like Larkin + Mantha
Hopefully that will make it easier to move Mantha. You can make the case that nearly everyone's numbers in Detroit are depressed due to lack of coaching, talent and skill. Mantha should be a 20+goal scorer on a decent team. It'd be nice if we could move him for either a good young PMD or a similar trade to what we got for Tatar. I'm sure Philly would drool over Mantha's size and projected offensive contributions.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Always liked Tatar, but if you look at his 3 goals its all puck luck. Hence, I don't think his hot start will continue for the entire season.

Hope he does well despite playing for Monterey.

Being from Montreal and getting to watch him play up close most nights, I can agree that his goals have been pretty lucky, but he looks explosive every night as he once did for the red wings.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
You have two options;

Continue to collect a paycheck and tow the company line.

Or

Be unemployed

I think it's hilarious people give HSJ crap. Then again, most can't see the forest from the trees.

And as someone who has a journalism degree, I certainly know what I'd do

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You have two options;

Continue to collect a paycheck and tow the company line.

Or

Be unemployed

I think it's hilarious people give HSJ crap. Then again, most can't see the forest from the trees.

And as someone who has a journalism degree, I certainly know what I'd do

She can collect the paycheck, just don't be upset when somebody says she is on the take for it.

I get your point a job is a job and as a lot of us know not everything in life ties off in the beautiful little bow everyone wants. But on the flip side when HSJ tanked her credibility to me as a journalist during the Cleary saga it is what it is. I don't dislike and distrust her stuff because I have some secret vendetta. Just this is how she operates and I don't care for her stuff. I do however pay attention to it, because if you're of the opinion that she mostly just reports exactly what she is told to well, that is the real organizational points you want to key in on. There are just times as a journalist I wish she would question them more is all. One of the more interesting developments is the Wings seem to have given her the green light to be a bit harder in the post-game scrums this year.

Almost every time they have a long Q & A, especially pre-Custance I would find myself yelling straight Green Street Hooligan esk stuff about journalists. :laugh:

Tricky job at times to be sure though, she needs the bridges people often want her to burn.

By the way this particular kind of stuff, the team hit pieces that she is charged with is the kind of stuff she deserves heavy criticism for in my opinion. HSJ is almost always the first to kick somebody that just left town and sorry if I don't like it all that much when the Wings do this kind of crap. For an organization that at times has had a sterling reputation, they should avoid running Tatar, Mrazek and other guys on the way out of town in my opinion. It is something players notice is my most practical reason against it beyond just other decency reasons.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
As someone employed by a newsradio station, I know what I'd do.

There's thousands of other chumps salivating at the mouth to stand where she is. If HSJ decided to take a noble stand like many on here want her to, you can bet there's a line of 'journalists' waiting to "take her job" and would promise to offer more loyalty to the DRWs political agenda.

Being unemployed and broke sucks!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't really understand all the criticism of Helene St. James. Her job is basically the equivalent of being the color commentator for games. Being a homer comes with the territory.

And ultimately hockey is entertainment. It'd be different if she were talking world events but I don't really expect some hard hitting expose from any local sports writer.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
There's thousands of other chumps salivating at the mouth to stand where she is. If HSJ decided to take a noble stand like many on here want her to, you can bet there's a line of 'journalists' waiting to "take her job" and would promise to offer more loyalty to the DRWs political agenda.

Being unemployed and broke sucks!
So does having a job and doing it while selling your soul and comprising your integrity.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't really understand all the criticism of Helene St. James. Her job is basically the equivalent of being the color commentator for games. Being a homer comes with the territory.

And ultimately hockey is entertainment. It'd be different if she were talking world events but I don't really expect some hard hitting expose from any local sports writer.
She gets criticism because she pretends to be impartial when she is clearly biased and has an agenda to not be critical of Hollands moves

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If you are paying for the Athletic... you are getting good reporting... else you get the mouth pieces for the Red Wings.... Thats how it works.
That means it's right? So basically you have to pay to find out the truth or DRW pay to spam the local papers...

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If you are looking for an "angry" newspaper person to go into the locker room

Then write articles about how the players are trash, suck, should be bought out or traded, and expect to do that weekly... You arn't going to get that.

Infact no one is going to write as angrily as posters here want (some of them). Its just not something people want to read.
And yes, its hard to write those pieces.

I understand HSJ is crap... i dont read her stuff.
I do however know the Athletic provides much better reporting, and yes you have to pay for that, because print media is going out of business... We are lucky there are ANY reporters with jobs left to be honest.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Then write articles about how the players are trash, suck, should be bought out or traded, and expect to do that weekly... You arn't going to get that.

Infact no one is going to write as angrily as posters here want (some of them). Its just not something people want to read.

I do however know the Athletic provides much better reporting, and yes you have to pay for that, because print media is going out of business... We are lucky there are ANY reporters with jobs left to be honest.

I think you can ask a little tougher questions than the soft balls the super friends lob. I understand the business angle of it, but she is caught trying to project a different image than what she really is at times is the reason she gets called out the most of that group.

I am not saying it is an easy gig, but there are times where they all run the same story and some of that stuff that it is hard to take a lot of our beat-writer staff seriously.

The Athletic has provided much better coverage but there is your point of Craig Custance isn't going to burn down relationships and go full internet poster when asking questions, you just cannot do that.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

How much is the athletic?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How much is the athletic?

When I signed up it was for a discount, but I think it is like $3 something a month.

The hockey coverage at The Athletic is very good. I am not as into the other sports so you can get utility out of that in terms of other posters thinking about this, but for me at this point The Athletic is a must as a hockey fan.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think you can ask a little tougher questions than the soft balls the super friends lob. I understand the business angle of it, but she is caught trying to project a different image than what she really is at times is the reason she gets called out the most of that group.

I am not saying it is an easy gig, but there are times where they all run the same story and some of that stuff that it is hard to take a lot of our beat-writer staff seriously.

The Athletic has provided much better coverage but there is your point of Craig Custance isn't going to burn down relationships and go full internet poster when asking questions, you just cannot do that.

I couldn't possibly care any less about "softball questions". If I want critical analysis, I'll pay for the Athletic or search out a national thing that doesn't have a vested interest in reporting the team. If I'm reading HSJ or Khan, I'm reading it to hear who's playing or if there is some kind of contract news.

I can't believe there are people who seemingly want the antagonistic media like the NY or Boston media from their own beat writers.

Look at how Caldwell would do pressers, look how any coach does halftime interviews or whatever, you're not going to get anything worth a damn out of a conversation with a coach unless they want it out there or they've just gone off the deep end like Mike Gundy. Your beat reporters aren't gonna all of a sudden find Maxwell's Silver Hammer and crack open the back rooms of the team.

Hell, this goes for FSD broadcasts too. They're trying to keep people watching. A good way to not have people watching? ***** about how the team is doing. Ask fiery questions and all that.

Lastly, I know he is radio and not print... but there are so many times when Mike Valenti gets so bad you can't listen to him. I bet today he'll have some 45 minute diatribe split over three segments about how we were all stupid to like the Lions and how they're trash. Like, you think you want "hardball questions" or "them to not toe the company line", but then if you actually get it, you stop listening. Basically, the line to straddle when it comes to being rightfully critical and being an arrogant asshat is way too fine for the people who become beat reporters.

As an example, C Trent Rosecrans is a jerk. His "hard questions" just led Bryan Price to go off the rails. You can say you want that, but I don't think anyone actually does. You'll get what the coach wants you to get out of him, unless you've pissed him off so much that he forgets where he is.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Lastly, I know he is radio and not print... but there are so many times when Mike Valenti gets so bad you can't listen to him. I bet today he'll have some 45 minute diatribe split over three segments about how we were all stupid to like the Lions and how they're trash. Like, you think you want "hardball questions" or "them to not toe the company line", but then if you actually get it, you stop listening. Basically, the line to straddle when it comes to being rightfully critical and being an arrogant asshat is way too fine for the people who become beat reporters.
Not sure the Valenti show is a good example considering it is one of the most popular radio shows in the nation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad