Tatar Gone. Who Joins the Top 6?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Iirc, Ken Daniels said during the broadcast that paper sending Bert and Jared didn't go against our call ups.

Seems to be an commonly misunderstood rule.

If you look at Khan and HSJ Tweets/articles from yesterday, Khan reported that papering up and down Coreau and Bertuzzi burned two, while HSJ said they have all 4 after doing the paper deals.

I can't find where it's spelled out, but the way I've always understood the "papering" assignment and recall, in relation to the post deadline call up rule is as follows:

-To be eligible for the AHL playoffs, that player has to be on the AHL roster at the expiration of the trade deadline. Hence why players go down "on paper" and then get called back up after the deadline.
-The teams are allowed 4 non-emergency call ups between the expiration of the deadline and the end of the regular season.
-Since the "papered down" players are recalled as a non-emergency recall after the expiration of the trade deadline, their call up counts as one of the four the team is limited to.

IIRC, the basis of these rules caters to:

-the integrity of competition in the AHL by not allowing NHL teams to pack a ton of waiver exempt guys that spent most of the year in the NHL on the farm for the AHL playoffs or handicap the AHL team by calling up a bunch of young guys down the stretch
-the NHLPA trying to give the David Booths of the world the chance to showcase themselves for any possibility of a future NHL contract and/or reach the number of games required to get a pension from the league, rather than sit in the pressbox while the team ices guys from the farm
-I would imagine it also limits teams from REALLY tearing it down at the deadline, since they can only bring up four guys after the deadline, and any they recall before that don't get papered down can't go back for the playoffs

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Coreau isn't really a kid. Blash isn't going to kill his career by playing that guy for no reason. Hronek and Svech I hope see some games. Not sure if Hronek is ready but a few games would be interesting at least.
Yeah, that was a separate thought (with Coreau).

Can’t we just tell Blash he’s getting canned no matter what and tell him who to play? Lol.
I guess it depends on what Blash can tell other teams during interviews if he wants to keep coaching. If he can say he played the roster he was given, and was ordered by management/ownership to play the roster a certain way, maybe he feels like he has cover for any poor performance. But we can't expect him to take on a big risk of looking even worse by playing kids 20 minutes a night and just getting destroyed over and over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad