Tatar Gone. Who Joins the Top 6?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Few Red Wings fans ever thought Bootland or Matt Ellis or any of those guys would ever contribute.
He had 50+ points and kicked everyone's ass in the AHL. A lot of us thought he'd be an awesome 4th liner that would beat the crap out of people. Why the f*** are you bringing up Matt Ellis?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I laughed for two reasons, most on this board are too young to know who that is and also he is someone we thought could contribute on our team 10+ years ago.

Hes no Robin Bigsnake but Bootland did have 27 goals and 390 pims one year in Grand Rapids. Of course people had high hopes for that!

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
He had 50+ points and kicked everyone's ass in the AHL. A lot of us thought he'd be an awesome 4th liner that would beat the crap out of people. Why the **** are you bringing up Matt Ellis?

Because the year Bootland scored 56 points, Ellis scored 48. Both were UFA prospects around the same time.

Sarah Lindenau, who used to write for Matt Wuest's site, used to write a lot of good things about Ellis' work ethic and two-way game.

Personally, I never saw anything in either of them.

In the end, Bootland was too slow for the NHL.
Ellis, to his credit, managed to turn his work ethic into 356 NHL games.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't care who it is. None of them are difference makers at this point. If you put a gun to my head I'd say Bert or Frk. But my dream is to just call up Svech and see what he's got. I know he's struggled in the AHL but so what? Let's just give him a few games. Can't make us worse off than we already are.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He had 50+ points and kicked everyone's ass in the AHL. A lot of us thought he'd be an awesome 4th liner that would beat the crap out of people. Why the **** are you bringing up Matt Ellis?

Yep I dont remember anyone thinking he was gonna play on a line with Datsyuk or anything but the wings had just lost Dmac.. A lot of peolpe thought he would be a tough guy that could maybe score 10 goals a season and be a fan favourite

Reactions: Konnan511

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Call up Svechnikov Instill some confidence in the kid

Svech would be better getting his confidence and his game back in Toledo rather in Detroit. Should have done this weeks ago.

Be interesting to see when Puempel comes back from injury (Wed) if Svech goes back to the 3rd line or not and back on the 2nd pp unit.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
holland_ken_big.jpg

Holland is working very hard in this very moment trying to convince Cleary to come back from retirement.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It should be Bert , but i like to see Svechnikov . Svechnikov will looks very good with AA and Larkin, so we can trade him at draft to join his brother

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
It should be Bert , but i like to see Svechnikov . Svechnikov will looks very good with AA and Larkin, so we can trade him at draft to join his brother
Svechnikov would actually be a perfect fit with Larkin and AA

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yeah I don't give a f*** if they think Svechnikov can steal a job from Frk or Helm. All I care is he's 6'0, 215 lbs., and chosen as the 19th best in the world 3 years ago. The Wings' over-ripening strategy needs to end. Start rolling the dice on these younger players earlier.

Sadly I doubt we'll see him until the day after the Wings are mathematically eliminated.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nyquist-Z-Mantha
AA-Larkin-Bert

Yeah I don't give a **** if they think Svechnikov can steal a job from Frk or Helm. All I care is he's 6'0, 215 lbs., and chosen as the 19th best in the world 3 years ago. The Wings' over-ripening strategy needs to end. Start rolling the dice on these younger players earlier.

Sadly I doubt we'll see him until the day after the Wings are mathematically eliminated.
He was going to get a chance but got injured and struggled a lot after coming back. But don’t let real life circumstances stop you from making a tired old argument for the 962nd time.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
But my dream is to just call up Svech and see what he's got.

I will not wake you up on your "dream" until September 2018, when Wings training camp starts and you will see Svech there trying for a Wings roster spot.

Realitywise, come to Grand Rapids and watch several Griffins games here and you can see and judge for yourself how players do over here in all facets of their game. Plenty of players to watch and judge. It would make my job much easier that's for sure. Not many home games left after this week. Due to a family gathering, I will not be at the Griffins Saturday night's game vs the Milwaukee Admirals (Star Wars Night). My first missed game in nearly 2 years.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I will not wake you up on your "dream" until September 2018, when Wings training camp starts and you will see Svech there trying for a Wings roster spot...

First of all I want to say again your updates and take on the Wings/Griffins guys are much appreciated and respected.

I understand clearly what's been said about the immaturity in Svech's game this season but here's my challenge: what does it matter? Especially now with 2% chance at the PO's? When the Wings were competing for a president's trophy yearly, yes there's no room to carry a weak prospect. Unfortunately those days are done.

We know Holland doesn't believe in "entitlement" or putting ice-time on a platter because your imagined to be a star in the making. Great in principle but look where his standards have led the Wings nearing a decade, nowhere but spiraling down a toilet bowl.

Just a thought, but may be Svechnikov doesn't have to win MVP of the AHL to be gifted( yes gifted) a spot on the big team. Roll with the gamble that while we might allow a few more goals we're speeding up his development. Practicing with Larkin and the other young cats, immersed in the speed and pressure of the NHL. Start him on the 4th line like many greats also began at. How could 10 minutes a night and practice/training with the big club be a detriment? Holland's delusional talk of making the playoffs the last years should not be the priority.

If given a full season would ES really be any worse than Bertuzzi? I'm not seeing a whole lot out of him right now. A few plays and a turnover now and then caused from his forecheck but it's not like he's setting the world on fire.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Abdelkader or Bertuzzi most likely. I think Svech gets called up in a few weeks.

Nyquist-Z-Mantha
AA-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Helm-Nielsen-Abdelkader
Booth-Glendening-Frk

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We have two call-ups the rest of the year because we burned half of them sending Coreau and Bertuzzi up and down to maintain their eligibility in GR. I can't imagine we call anyone up unless we have to for any extended amount of time. Outside of more injuries forcing a call-up, and likely allowing us to sidestep the call-up limit to some degree, calling up Svech and Hronek for a few games at the end of the year should be the only moves considered. Give them a cup of coffee to see the NHL, to see what hockey is like with the big club, and to give them something concrete to work towards over the summer. Guys like Tangradi, Street, etc. are AHL guys. If they're called up it's not to evaluate anything for next year but just a pat on the bank and a thanks for being good vets. I'd rather give the kids a cup of coffee, though.

As for who gets moved up, I hope it's Bert.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Iirc, Ken Daniels said during the broadcast that paper sending Bert and Jared didn't go against our call ups.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Play the kids. Call up Hronek and Svech. Put Coreau in net. Only thing that matters is development from here on out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We will ruin their development and turn into Edmonton if we do that :sarcasm:

Yeah, we’ve been developing so many quality defenseman that we should probably not change our process at all.

Plus I sill can’t believe how bad we ruined Larkin.

:sarcasm:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Play the kids. Call up Hronek and Svech. Put Coreau in net. Only thing that matters is development from here on out.
Coreau isn't really a kid. Blash isn't going to kill his career by playing that guy for no reason. Hronek and Svech I hope see some games. Not sure if Hronek is ready but a few games would be interesting at least.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Iirc, Ken Daniels said during the broadcast that paper sending Bert and Jared didn't go against our call ups.

I don't know, that goes against the grain of everything I've read about how the waiver/call-up thing worked yesterday. Have to admit, it doesn't really change what I'm expecting to see. I don't think Holland wants to screw with GR too much while they fight for the playoffs, and I have a hard time seeing him benching guys in Detroit right now in favor of a kid or two since Kenny didn't just find a way to ship them for a fifth or something.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Coreau isn't really a kid. Blash isn't going to kill his career by playing that guy for no reason. Hronek and Svech I hope see some games. Not sure if Hronek is ready but a few games would be interesting at least.

Yeah, that was a separate thought (with Coreau).

Can’t we just tell Blash he’s getting canned no matter what and tell him who to play? Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad