Seravalli: Tarasenko still wants to be traded, Blues gauging market on Krug

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
A top six scoring forward and a 2nd pairing puck moving dman are exactly what Dallas needs. Sadly Dallas doesn't have the trade pieces or money for this.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
He is damaged goods with that shoulder. His next injury could end his career. It’s awesome he came back strong and personally I’d hoped they’d work it out as he always seemed like a great Blue. I wouldn’t offer much for him because of the potential for injury and contract status moving forward. Great player, not a great fit for everyone.
I'd actually have a lot of confidence in the shoulder, since the whole issue was that the Blues docs f***ed it up the 1st two times and an outside doc was apparently able to fully fix it without much issue.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Both Krug and Tarasenko have full NTCs so I imagine a situation similar to McDonagh’s.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think it is funny that people don’t want to give much for a free agent with a full year left, but then make trades at the deadline for same person with a half a year left for even more futures?
The deadline always brings the prices up because a series of teams are after a few players, and they know they are contenders. Paying for a rental in the summer doesn’t come with the same sense of desperation, and teams can budget for a rental that they couldn’t afford all season. It’s not funny it’s common sense.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'd actually have a lot of confidence in the shoulder, since the whole issue was that the Blues docs f***ed it up the 1st two times and an outside doc was apparently able to fully fix it without much issue.
Doctors have said if he injures it again there’s little they can do, the two times he previous injured it was on innocuous plays. It’s great they’ve stabilized it enough for what’s happened this season but he’ll always be one awkward movement away from injuring it again. I’ve known many coworkers and hockey friends who struggle with shoulders. Pretty rare to have a surgery and just be good the rest of the way if they’re competing at this level.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Both Krug and Tarasenko have full NTCs so I imagine a situation similar to McDonagh’s.
Last Summer Tarasenko gave a list of 10 teams he would like to be traded so if that list remains it makes it a different situation than McDonagh. McDonagh didn't want to be traded while if rumors are true Tarasenko wants to be traded

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think it is funny that people don’t want to give much for a free agent with a full year left, but then make trades at the deadline for same person with a half a year left for even more futures?

There is actually a good reason for that: salary cap. A player acquired at the deadline has less cap impact than one acquired at the start of the off-season. A player traded at the halfway point of the season has half his cap hit given to each team. Further, every bit you were under the cap for the first half of the season gives you even more cap for the back half. You can add an $5M player at the deadline if you were running like $2M under the cap until that point.

Plus teams know their injury situation much better at the deadline and can pay for players with LTIR. A team that in the off-season has all its pieces in place, but loses a top 6 winger to season-ending injuiry is suddenly a lot more interested in making a deal. Or barring injury, if you anticipated a rookie or off-seson acquisition would make more of an impact, but didn't, you may be looking to add a piece later that wasn't as interesting in the off-season.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Doctors have said if he injures it again there’s little they can do, the two times he previous injured it was on innocuous plays. It’s great they’ve stabilized it enough for what’s happened this season but he’ll always be one awkward movement away from injuring it again. I’ve known many coworkers and hockey friends who struggle with shoulders. Pretty rare to have a surgery and just be good the rest of the way if they’re competing at this level.

I have followed the Tarasenko situation very closely and never saw a quote from his or any doctor stating this. Without evidence of the quote I am going to assume you just pulled this straight from your ass.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I have followed the Tarasenko situation very closely and never saw a quote from his or any doctor stating this. Without evidence of the quote I am going to assume you just pulled this straight from your ass.
Straight from the article in the athletic right in the middle of this situation last summer, through my ass….to you now.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Straight from the article in the athletic right in the middle of this situation last summer, through my ass….to you now.

Do you have a link cause I have one right here, link. With direct quotes from Vladdy's doctor that says that his shoulder is stable and strong. So take you BS agenda and move on somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbonium

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Can you pull the quote? I’ve also followed it extremely closely and don’t recall that being said.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis

So a third party, who had no direct contact with Vladdy's case weighing in the day before he returns from injury. When you put his certainty against the doctor who actually treated Vladdy's shoulder certainty, I just don't know who to believe.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

You mean this one with no doctors that actually worked on him. "None of the three has worked directly with Tarasenko, nor are they familiar with his official diagnoses or with the exact surgeries that were performed."

Still all of the doctors were optimistic. “'I think he will be OK, and like I said, I will be happy to take him on any of our three teams,' Noy said." Another other said that as long as their is no arthritis he'd be fine, and he doubted there would be arthritis. The last one is the only one that said anything remotely resembling your claim: “Honestly, this is probably his last shot. But like I said, the recurrence after Latarjet is really small. It’s a very successful procedure for stabilizing the shoulder.” So while one doctor thought it could be his last shot, he also thought the chances of re-injury were really small.

This quote sums up the whole article the best: "If I had like six more pieces of information, I could probably tell you with 99 percent accuracy what was done, what should have been done or what should be done.” However they didn't have that information. Most of the article was them guessing what the actual injury was and what procedure was done. They were all speculating based on watching video of the injury. None know as well as Tarasenko;s actual doctor quoted in Blanick's article above.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Since Krug controls his own destiny like McDonagh, He probably wont get much. I like Krug better than Petry. As a Wings fan i'd do the Washington 2nd and a lesser prospect of the Blues choice.
I proposed the same on the Blues board, minus the prospect.

But that would still work.

1yr of Tarasanko at $7.5mil.

What do Blues fans think the realistic value is and what are your needs?

Is this a "we need a comparable player back" or a "we need cap space, picks, prospects" situation?
This is mostly about cap space, but we need a legit top-4 all-situations LHD.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You mean this one with no doctors that actually worked on him. "None of the three has worked directly with Tarasenko, nor are they familiar with his official diagnoses or with the exact surgeries that were performed."

Still all of the doctors were optimistic. “'I think he will be OK, and like I said, I will be happy to take him on any of our three teams,' Noy said." Another other said that as long as their is no arthritis he'd be fine, and he doubted there would be arthritis. The last one is the only one that said anything remotely resembling your claim: “Honestly, this is probably his last shot. But like I said, the recurrence after Latarjet is really small. It’s a very successful procedure for stabilizing the shoulder.” So while one doctor thought it could be his last shot, he also thought the chances of re-injury were really small.

This quote sums up the whole article the best: "If I had like six more pieces of information, I could probably tell you with 99 percent accuracy what was done, what should have been done or what should be done.” However they didn't have that information. Most of the article was them guessing what the actual injury was and what procedure was done. They were all speculating based on watching video of the injury. None know as well as Tarasenko;s actual doctor quoted in Blanick's article above.
Of course stl fans want to believe his dr…..who of course is going to say he’s perfect. Shoulder dislocations are frequently chronic…..surgery or not. Plenty of reason to be concerned about it, especially on top of the trade demand. This is all going into a obvious hf argument that now he’s worth a first and an amazing prospect with no retention because nothing is wrong. The player demanded a trade, he’s playing for a team he doesn’t want to play for with the potential for further injury. All season long I’ve seen Blues fans say there’s no trade request anymore because he’s scoring and everyone is happy….and yet here we are. He hasn’t been traded yet because no one would pay the price for obvious reasons. I’m sure there’s more interest now but I wouldn’t touch it for a high price. I wouldn’t want to rent him either though I’m sure the Canes are interested because they love a “distressed asset”.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I feel like Tarasenko would be a decent addition for the Islanders.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
The sense of urgency vastly differs across various scenarios: TDL, draft, free agency, in-season trades.

Each scenario has its own sense of urgency and it is that sense of urgency that provides impetus for transactions that can leave you scratching your head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad