Confirmed with Link: Tarasenko 50% & Mikkola to NYR for 1st RP, 4th RP, F S. Blais, and D H. Skinner

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
That reaction from Kane is glorious. Nothing warms the heart quite like Patrick Kane tears…almost as good as his reaction in 2016 when the Blues scored the GWG in game 3 with Kane in the penalty box!

IMG_CT-ct-hawks-kane-met_2_1_7A9K9324.jpg

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Do you even watch hockey? You're telling me that last year if it had not been for Kadri you think we had no chance for a deep run? We would have easily walked into the cup finals last year if we had beat the Avs.
Because every underlying possession metric, they were getting dominated by the Avs for the majority of the series (that includes Game 5 in which they won in OT I believe). Kuemper was also dealing with a vision problem from the Nashville series and played like shit as well.

Binnington played at an insane level. They likely take the series to 7 but nothing beyond that.

Now, if they had avoided Colorado altogether, that’s a different discussion.

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
If we’re using hindsight, the time to trade him was last summer, not the summer before our eventual cup run.
its not hindsight, ive been saying it since his 40 goal season because I felt he was one dimensional and overrated and a feeling that season would be his peak.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
its not hindsight, ive been saying it since his 40 goal season because I felt he was one dimensional and overrated and a feeling that season would be his peak.
I really understand the overall sentiment in your post, but I cannot disagree more. Although, I understand that you're bringing up feelings and thoughts you had way back then.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If you told me you wanted to change the tape guys used on their sticks prior to 2019, I’d object. Nothing that could disrupt the magical Cup run. Any changes to decisions since then, sure , Fire away. But I could not countenance going back in time and trading Tarasenko prior to those playoffs, no can do.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If you told me you wanted to change the tape guys used on their sticks prior to 2019, I’d object. Nothing that could disrupt the magical Cup run. Any changes to decisions since then, sure , Fire away. But I could not countenance going back in time and trading Tarasenko prior to those playoffs, no can do.
exactly. this is why i don't begrudge any of the bad deals or bad luck prior to that point. everything that ever happened led us to that Cup.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Interesting interview with Blais on the Blues’ official site. He openly acknowledged that he took it really hard when he got traded to the Rangers. Sounds like he didn’t want to leave and was never comfortable there.

I originally was indifferent about acquiring him back but if he truly wants to be here, then I’ll take it. He’s a free agent this Summer so he may not want to risk going to a different organization again and ruining his career more if it doesn’t go well. My bet is he will accept a cheap ‘prove-it’ deal with the Blues to re-gain his confidence and try to rekindle some of the success he had.

At the very least, he’s a solid 4th liner and depth piece who will play hard.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Because every underlying possession metric, they were getting dominated by the Avs for the majority of the series (that includes Game 5 in which they won in OT I believe). Kuemper was also dealing with a vision problem from the Nashville series and played like shit as well.

Binnington played at an insane level. They likely take the series to 7 but nothing beyond that.

Now, if they had avoided Colorado altogether, that’s a different discussion.

Please, no stats matter once Binnington got hurt. It also was not how good Binny was playing but how his style and puckhandling negated the Avalanche puck possession and speed. Can't dump it in and forecheck with speed when the goalie stops it and passes it out. He completely changed how the Blues were playing against the Avalanche and was the key factor.

Interesting interview with Blais on the Blues’ official site. He openly acknowledged that he took it really hard when he got traded to the Rangers. Sounds like he didn’t want to leave and was never comfortable there.

I originally was indifferent about acquiring him back but if he truly wants to be here, then I’ll take it. He’s a free agent this Summer so he may not want to risk going to a different organization again and ruining his career more if it doesn’t go well. My bet is he will accept a cheap ‘prove-it’ deal with the Blues to re-gain his confidence and try to rekindle some of the success he had.

At the very least, he’s a solid 4th liner and depth piece who will play hard.

Kind of weird how that's 2 French Canadians that love the French city of St.Louis

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Yep, and it’s also a sly way of Tarasenko avoiding saying that he wouldn’t be returning regardless; he can just say instead “well, no contract was offered.” He was no doubt coached to say that.
It's like me complaining that I wasnt offered the open manager spot at work after saying I didn't want to be a Manger

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
It's like me complaining that I wasnt offered the open manager spot at work after saying I didn't want to be a Manger
I don’t blame Tarasenko for using this language - I’m sure he doesn’t want to outright say “I didn’t what to be in St. Louis and wouldn’t have signed there.” He’s being more professional this way, as he’s usually been; but, it is a bit transparent what he’s doing.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Yep, and it’s also a sly way of Tarasenko avoiding saying that he wouldn’t be returning regardless; he can just say instead “well, no contract was offered.” He was no doubt coached to say that.

It's almost like a player teling fans that "No really, I want to be in St.Louis" is a bullshit lie. Like, imgine not negotiating in good faith and secretly having another teams private jet ready to whisk you away the very second free agency starts but you do that while telling fans you really want to be in St.Louis.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Please, no stats matter once Binnington got hurt. It also was not how good Binny was playing but how his style and puckhandling negated the Avalanche puck possession and speed. Can't dump it in and forecheck with speed when the goalie stops it and passes it out. He completely changed how the Blues were playing against the Avalanche and was the key factor.

If that’s the case, they wouldn’t have lost Game 1 which was arguably Binnington’s best game in OT.

The Blues were good last year, but relied on an unusually high shooting percentage overall as a team as well as the defense playing at its absolute ceiling after Leddy was acquired and being bailed out by Husso through January in addition to Binnington having a .949 save % in 4 games in the postseason.

I don’t think the team is as bad as they’ve played this season but everything that could go wrong has.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
It's almost like a player teling fans that "No really, I want to be in St.Louis" is a bullshit lie. Like, imgine not negotiating in good faith and secretly having another teams private jet ready to whisk you away the very second free agency starts but you do that while telling fans you really want to be in St.Louis.
Oh the freaking memories...

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa

You’re one of the more vocal complainers whenever the former captain is brought up in threads that don’t have anything to do with him.

Anyway, I’m glad for Tarasenko. I haven’t seen him look that happy in years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad