Tanner Jeannot trade

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Montreal didn't overpay for anderson, they overpaid him.
Domi and a 3rd was fine at the time but Bergevin gave him too much money and term.
He's still a much better player than jeannot, and aside from his atrocious year, he's good for 20 goals a year in a middle six role -
Yeah I meant the contract. I didn't even remember what he was traded for. Anderson barely played that year and some people even saw him as borderline negative value as he was due for a contract, Columbus wasn't keeping him and his health/form was a question mark.

Whether we're talking contract or trade is besides the point, GM's will always value these guys and are willing to take risks because not a lot of teams have that physical presence with the required offense needed to play top 9.

You mention Anderson is good for 20 goals, and that's what Jeannot did the year before. I'd even say the season Jeannot had was better than most of Anderson's seasons. He was really bringing the physicality while scoring 24 goals, 41 points and racked up 130 PIMS. I'm sure Tampa looked at that and thought they could get that player instead of the Jeannot we see now.

Which to be fair, was something they haven't had in a long time. They had their own playoff disappointments in the past lacking physicality against the Caps for instance, and losing their 3rd line that brought a different element allowing them to win those cups was a big blow.

It was a bad mistake, but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
One could argue that Pogge had upside. Jeannot has always sucked as a hockey player and/or enforcer and will never amount to anything. There is no argument for overpaying as much as Brisebos did.
Pogge may have been Leafs choice there but has nothing to do with the trade. Rask for Raycroft is worse than paying some draft picks for Jeannot
hell the Kessel trade was worse then this too lol Kessel cost them Seguin and Hamilson (if they picked Hamilton) as well a 2nd which didnt turn into anything

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This trade was absolute debacle for TB

Jeannot is terrible and isn't even a good 4th liner at this point

Giving away a 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th for him has to be one of the worst and most lopsided trades in recent NHL history

What the hell was TB GM thinking with this trade?

Despite Hagel being great for them giving up those 1st's + this trade really set up TB to have very little in cupboards going forward just as there window appears to be closing or maybe even already has closed
To think some use to say Brisebois is a legend.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He had one good season and because of that I remember fans and media saying he was the next Tom Wilson and I think the TB GM bought into the hype. Even the following season he struggled and they still gave up a ransom. The best bet for both teams might be a trade the Wild perhaps his old coach can get something out of Jeannot. Seems like a player Guerin would like as well.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
When you’re in the position to win every year and have an aging core, you need to go all in while it lasts. It was an overpay but don’t forget Jeannot had just scored over 20 goals and filled a big need for them. Hindsight is 20/20.

The biggest screwup is dumping McDonough tbh. Their D desperately needs depth and experience.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jeannot was really good in that one season. Fighting, trucking people, scoring goals. He just fell off for whatever reason.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
the better question is, if that's what he was worth with 5 goals, what was his value in 2022 when he scored 24 goals?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
What’s different about his play? I believe he had an unreasonable shooting percentage, but he should still be putting up more points than this.

1) style difference between the two teams?
2) he just isn’t good? Thought he’d keep showing growth, personally.
3) injuries? Did dude speed run the Clarkson career path? Seriously though, he’s young, hope he can bounce back.

Easy to criticize the trade now (and then), but he was a hot commodity for a minute there. Nashville cleaned up nicely.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
When you’re in the position to win every year and have an aging core, you need to go all in while it lasts. It was an overpay but don’t forget Jeannot had just scored over 20 goals and filled a big need for them. Hindsight is 20/20.

The biggest screwup is dumping McDonough tbh. Their D desperately needs depth and experience.
Coincidentally, that McDonagh trade is also working out pretty well for Nashville

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Coincidentally, that McDonagh trade is also working out pretty well for Nashville
Yup and I’m not surprised at all. I was really shocked they gave up on such an important guy. I know he’s older and has only a few years left but guys like that win cups and stabilize an entire D. Sergachev is hurt but he’s pretty weak n his own end when he’s not.

I’d rather fill my wings with guys on entry levels than cough up a dman like McDonagh.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What’s different about his play? I believe he had an unreasonable shooting percentage, but he should still be putting up more points than this.

1) style difference between the two teams?
2) he just isn’t good? Thought he’d keep showing growth, personally.
3) injuries? Did dude speed run the Clarkson career path? Seriously though, he’s young, hope he can bounce back.

Easy to criticize the trade now (and then), but he was a hot commodity for a minute there. Nashville cleaned up nicely.
He had an unreasonable shooting percentage and the line he was playing with that year (with Sissons and Trenin) had a really high level of cohesion and chemistry--they were a very heavy, very high pressure unit that teams just weren't really prepared for and it led to a lot of opportunities. Jeannot happened to be the beneficiary of most of those opportunities, but I think many Preds fans would say that Trenin (as well as Sissons) were always the superior overall players. Jeannot had already started to slow at the end of that anomalous season, and it was clear from his regression with the Preds the next season that teams had started to catch on and his offensive output wasn't sustainable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnashville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad