Tanner Jeannot trade

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
One could argue that Pogge had upside. Jeannot has always sucked as a hockey player and/or enforcer and will never amount to anything. There is no argument for overpaying as much as Brisebos did.
Pogge may have been Leafs choice there but has nothing to do with the trade. Rask for Raycroft is worse than paying some draft picks for Jeannot
hell the Kessel trade was worse then this too lol Kessel cost them Seguin and Hamilson (if they picked Hamilton) as well a 2nd which didnt turn into anything

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This trade was absolute debacle for TB

Jeannot is terrible and isn't even a good 4th liner at this point

Giving away a 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th for him has to be one of the worst and most lopsided trades in recent NHL history

What the hell was TB GM thinking with this trade?

Despite Hagel being great for them giving up those 1st's + this trade really set up TB to have very little in cupboards going forward just as there window appears to be closing or maybe even already has closed
To think some use to say Brisebois is a legend.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He had one good season and because of that I remember fans and media saying he was the next Tom Wilson and I think the TB GM bought into the hype. Even the following season he struggled and they still gave up a ransom. The best bet for both teams might be a trade the Wild perhaps his old coach can get something out of Jeannot. Seems like a player Guerin would like as well.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
When you’re in the position to win every year and have an aging core, you need to go all in while it lasts. It was an overpay but don’t forget Jeannot had just scored over 20 goals and filled a big need for them. Hindsight is 20/20.

The biggest screwup is dumping McDonough tbh. Their D desperately needs depth and experience.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jeannot was really good in that one season. Fighting, trucking people, scoring goals. He just fell off for whatever reason.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
the better question is, if that's what he was worth with 5 goals, what was his value in 2022 when he scored 24 goals?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
What’s different about his play? I believe he had an unreasonable shooting percentage, but he should still be putting up more points than this.

1) style difference between the two teams?
2) he just isn’t good? Thought he’d keep showing growth, personally.
3) injuries? Did dude speed run the Clarkson career path? Seriously though, he’s young, hope he can bounce back.

Easy to criticize the trade now (and then), but he was a hot commodity for a minute there. Nashville cleaned up nicely.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
When you’re in the position to win every year and have an aging core, you need to go all in while it lasts. It was an overpay but don’t forget Jeannot had just scored over 20 goals and filled a big need for them. Hindsight is 20/20.

The biggest screwup is dumping McDonough tbh. Their D desperately needs depth and experience.
Coincidentally, that McDonagh trade is also working out pretty well for Nashville

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
But it's not a hindsight bad trade, everyone thought it was a bad trade at the time.
The hindsight aspect of the deal is that Jeannot has devolved significantly as a player. Like it's been said, people were hoping for Tom Wilson V2.0. Unfortunately - TJ seemed to hit the wall and has turned into a replacement level player.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Coincidentally, that McDonagh trade is also working out pretty well for Nashville
Yup and I’m not surprised at all. I was really shocked they gave up on such an important guy. I know he’s older and has only a few years left but guys like that win cups and stabilize an entire D. Sergachev is hurt but he’s pretty weak n his own end when he’s not.

I’d rather fill my wings with guys on entry levels than cough up a dman like McDonagh.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What’s different about his play? I believe he had an unreasonable shooting percentage, but he should still be putting up more points than this.

1) style difference between the two teams?
2) he just isn’t good? Thought he’d keep showing growth, personally.
3) injuries? Did dude speed run the Clarkson career path? Seriously though, he’s young, hope he can bounce back.

Easy to criticize the trade now (and then), but he was a hot commodity for a minute there. Nashville cleaned up nicely.
He had an unreasonable shooting percentage and the line he was playing with that year (with Sissons and Trenin) had a really high level of cohesion and chemistry--they were a very heavy, very high pressure unit that teams just weren't really prepared for and it led to a lot of opportunities. Jeannot happened to be the beneficiary of most of those opportunities, but I think many Preds fans would say that Trenin (as well as Sissons) were always the superior overall players. Jeannot had already started to slow at the end of that anomalous season, and it was clear from his regression with the Preds the next season that teams had started to catch on and his offensive output wasn't sustainable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnashville

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Jeannot was really good in that one season. Fighting, trucking people, scoring goals. He just fell off for whatever reason.
I imagine there's a component of physical/mental wear and tear in there too. Being seen as one of the league's heavyweights can be a strain, and it brings a lot of pain with it, and pain management. Jeannot worked and trained really hard before his breakout in Nashville, that kind of a physical push may have been just as unsustainable as that shooting pct. :dunno:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
This was the definition of someone who went overboard on "Toughness" and "Grit".

Brisebois was on a radio like 3 days before the trade was made and said "We have to get meaner. We have to get more physical"

Honestly that blew my mind because Tampa was already loaded up with tough and gritty guys all throughout their lineup and was already known as a heavy team.

Brisebois had a serious fetish for having the toughest team in the league.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This was the definition of someone who went overboard on "Toughness" and "Grit".

Brisebois was on a radio like 3 days before the trade was made and said "We have to get meaner. We have to get more physical"

Honestly that blew my mind because Tampa was already loaded up with tough and gritty guys all throughout their lineup and was already known as a heavy team.

Brisebois had a serious fetish for having the toughest team in the league.
Agree he isn't what we needed. We needed more a long the lines of a Coleman or goodrow type player who can skate and be physical presence. We paid way too much for a maroon. We needed more of a 3rd line guy with the loss of gourde Coleman and goodrow.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
You can't let him get to UFA. Right now would be selling low, so unless another team wows TB with a surprising offer, I can't imagine BriseBois basically taking an L on this trade so soon. If you believe in the player enough to trade so many assets for him, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a chance to bounce back, if even for the purpose of increasing his trade value.

After all, Jeannot hasn't even played a full season's worth of games for TB, while suffering 2 significant injuries during his tenure. He should have all the motivation in the world as he enters a contract year. 2.665 is not a bad contract for what he brings when healthy, and I thought he showed that in the first quarter/third of the 23/24 season prior to getting hurt. Multiple long(ish) term LBIs will have a huge effect on any player of his ilk.

Personally, I think you bank on Jeannot to perform better in a contract year and dare I say, consider an extension as soon as it becomes an option. If he has a strong start to 24-25, you're basically forced to trade him mid-season (which seems more likely than doing it now), because TB almost certainly wouldn't be able to compete in a bidding war when he hits the market.

It's also possible that he and/or his agent are looking for a team that can give him greater opportunity to achieve a nice contract, can't rule that out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad