MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
They swung and missed.

You know who has won 2 cups recently.
Tampa- they swung and hit a lot.

Vegas swings a lot
Won a cup last year.

Some management teams are too scared to make moves that they never miss or never hit. Well teams that hit win.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nah, Coleman and Hagel were good overpayments for a team going all in: They were on contracts paying them like 4th line schmutz while they were playing like legit top-6 players.

The Jeannot trade is so weird because of the overall timing: We had already left the “all in for a Cup” territory and Jeannot was on a big decline when we decided to pull the trigger and sell the farm for his contract.

Management took a huge gamble on Jeannot hoping he’d become a 20+ goal scoring power forward that he realistically never had in him. Just bad scouting and asset management. Meanwhile Coleman and Hagel were proven performers stuck on a way too low cap hit for their performance.
They rolled the dice and lost. Thought he could pick it back up with them, but didn't. Seen plenty of GMs make bad trades.
Never followed him in Nash so no clue why TB thought he was worth virtually an entire draft from rounds 1 - 5.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
You are understating how bad it is. On the spectrum of Bad Trade -----------------------------One of the worst, it's at least right in the middle.

Jeannot seemingly cant play, Tampa could've acquired multiple good players with those picks if they were shrewd enough, instead it slammed their window shut, And the 2025 1st who knows, it coud be a really high pick if the wheels really fall off and if Stamkos and other guys go.

I think you're overvaluing draft picks. You can't acquire multiple good players with a bunch of mid-round picks, unless they're A) soon-to-be free agent due a big raise, or B) significantly underperforming their current contract. Basically you can only make those kind of acquisitions if you have a lot of cap space to spend, which Tampa obviously doesn't.

Teams have no reason to let good, cost-controlled players go, especially to teams like Tampa that have only draft capital to spend. So if they're traded for picks only, it's gonna be a lot of picks.

Obviously, Jeannot wasn't worth that. But you don't have to squint too hard to understand why a guy that scored 24 goals in his rookie season, signed to a 800K salary for another year, would have a fair amount of value for a contender.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Could be worse, in Toronto we're paying 33 million for:
Tavares (1 point)
Marner (2 points)
Nylander (0 points)

Reactions: Deebs

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
They swung and missed.

You know who has won 2 cups recently.
Tampa- they swung and hit a lot.

Vegas swings a lot
Won a cup last year.

Some management teams are too scared to make moves that they never miss or never hit. Well teams that hit win.
Yet sometimes a wild pitch means holding that bat and waiting for the next one.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Aside from the return, I recall the pundits being extremely high on Jeannot at the TDL. He looked like a breakout Power F on NSH bringing a bit of everything to the table with RFA years…it was a similar to profile with Hagel in terms of motor but Tanner had the size and grit. Completely fooled everyone.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
You must be thinking of the wrong other trade. He's a solid player and they gave up nothing for him (Mathieu Joseph who's JAG and a 4th round pick).
Joseph is not a JAG at all. Probably had a better season than Paul, and by a pretty large margin at 5-on-5/shorthanded.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
None of the picks other than the 1st matter and the 1st is likely to be pretty late as well.
Come on man, I get people overvalue draft picks but saying "none matter other than the 1st" is taking it entirely too far in the other direction.

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
Everyone overvaluing draft picks, and not understanding the value of RFA status in a hard-salary cap.

If Jeannot would have turned into 20G/20A player who hits like a truck and can handle his own against Reaves, everyone would have said the trade was bad the other way. Imagine Tom Wilson like player @ 2million a year.

Obviously it hasn't worked out like that but its crazy to me how 90% of you guys don't bring up the RFA status and him being cost controlled with huge upside. (At the time)

And also, while he was in Nashville he played on an identity 3rd line the "HERD" line where there job was not to go out there and score goals, it was to crash and bang, and i'm pretty sure he was on Nashvilles #1 PK.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Everyone overvaluing draft picks, and not understanding the value of RFA status in a hard-salary cap.

If Jeannot would have turned into 20G/20A player who hits like a truck and can handle his own against Reaves, everyone would have said the trade was bad the other way. Imagine Tom Wilson like player @ 2million a year.

Obviously it hasn't worked out like that but its crazy to me how 90% of you guys don't bring up the RFA status and him being cost controlled with huge upside. (At the time)

And also, while he was in Nashville he played on an identity 3rd line the "HERD" line where there job was not to go out there and score goals, it was to crash and bang, and i'm pretty sure he was on Nashvilles #1 PK.
Ok but it was very predictable that he was not going to turn into an annual 20/20 guy because he was 25 years old and put up those numbers on the back of a completely unsustainable s%.

Also he wasn't actually good at PKing despite getting all that PK time, which is why TBL haven't been using him on the kill

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This trade was absolute debacle for TB

Jeannot is terrible and isn't even a good 4th liner at this point

Giving away a 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th for him has to be one of the worst and most lopsided trades in recent NHL history

What the hell was TB GM thinking with this trade?

Despite Hagel being great for them giving up those 1st's + this trade really set up TB to have very little in cupboards going forward just as there window appears to be closing or maybe even already has closed
It was obviously horrible but the thinking was sound.

He did the same with Coleman, Hagel and Goodrow which worked wonders
You win some you lose some

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Yeah there's no denying it's one of the worst trades, but I think there's plenty of factors why it happened:

1) Jeannot had some very promising play for the Preds the season before and showed potential for a middle 6 power forward.
2) Big guys who can play in the top 9 are always in high-demand and Jeannot having that good season before fooled Tampa into thinking he could. This is not so different to Montreal overpaying for Josh Anderson despite the previous season being a complete write-off. And yes, there was a ton of interest which drove the price up. If it wasn't Tampa making this mistake, it was going to be someone else.
3) Tampa knew they would lose Killorn a year later. He was like the only guy with size in their top 9, so I think Tampa was hoping that Jeannot could fill those shoes and fit their cap structure in the future.
4) Coleman and Goodrow worked out a couple years earlier, and they gave up 1st rounders then too. Probably lowered the bar to take another risk.
Montreal didn't overpay for anderson, they overpaid him.
Domi and a 3rd was fine at the time but Bergevin gave him too much money and term.
He's still a much better player than jeannot, and aside from his atrocious year, he's good for 20 goals a year in a middle six role -

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Considering the low percentage that picks hit later in the draft and that Tampa has the ability to attract depth UFA veterans on lower AAV deals over the years, tossing those later picks into a deal is nothing they can't fix with the appeal of a well-run team in a desirable destination. They've signed UDFA (or in Lilleberg's case, a non-tendered UFA) repeatedly who make their way up to their roster in the same way that some teams sometimes hit on mid-to-late round picks. If they didn't trust their scouting department to find those guys - which they do - I could see being upset but they are solid at finding useful depth that way.

As for Jeannot, I'm curious why he seems to have slowed down so much. I know he had some knee stuff late last year. Is it correctable? Is it style?

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Considering the low percentage that picks hit later in the draft and that Tampa has the ability to attract depth UFA veterans on lower AAV deals over the years, tossing those later picks into a deal is nothing they can't fix with the appeal of a well-run team in a desirable destination. They've signed UDFA (or in Lilleberg's case, a non-tendered UFA) repeatedly who make their way up to their roster in the same way that some teams sometimes hit on mid-to-late round picks. If they didn't trust their scouting department to find those guys - which they do - I could see being upset but they are solid at finding useful depth that way.

As for Jeannot, I'm curious why he seems to have slowed down so much. I know he had some knee stuff late last year. Is it correctable? Is it style?
He didn't slow down. He's been the same player all along, his S% just regressed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad