Tanner Jeannot trade

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
They were all overpayments. All of those trades. The Jeannot gets singled out because it was made the time the Lightning didn't end up winning the cup. Their previous ones weren't won because of Coleman or Hagel, its because they had a Norris Dman, a Vezina goalie and some of the most offensively talented forwards all in their prime at the same time. The overpayments were seen as smart moves because of the correlation of winning, yet they had very little to do with the causation. They'd have been panned just as much if Tampa hadn't come away with any championships.
Nah, Coleman and Hagel were good overpayments for a team going all in: They were on contracts paying them like 4th line schmutz while they were playing like legit top-6 players.

The Jeannot trade is so weird because of the overall timing: We had already left the “all in for a Cup” territory and Jeannot was on a big decline when we decided to pull the trigger and sell the farm for his contract.

Management took a huge gamble on Jeannot hoping he’d become a 20+ goal scoring power forward that he realistically never had in him. Just bad scouting and asset management. Meanwhile Coleman and Hagel were proven performers stuck on a way too low cap hit for their performance.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
A guy living high off of winning with Yzermans core thinking he is the smartest guy in the league and can do no wrong.
JBB did inherit the amazing core from the Yzerman era but he did not exactly just sit and watch them win those cups. In fact he's had a very interesting approach to the TDL which has proven successful, which is to seemingly overpay for guys on bargain contracts. Term is the key in cap management in today's NHL and JBB realizing how to use it in trades was absolutely crucial for his cap-strapped team. I expect these kind of trades becoming more common in the future especially if the rising of the cap stagnates again.

However much draft picks are overvalued in HF this trade was an all-time stinker though. Jeannot is a replacement level player being paid 3rd liner money. That's not how you build a winning team but luckily for Tampa they already did so I'm guessing they can overcome it.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
This trade was absolute debacle for TB

Jeannot is terrible and isn't even a good 4th liner at this point

Giving away a 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th for him has to be one of the worst and most lopsided trades in recent NHL history

What the hell was TB GM thinking with this trade?

Despite Hagel being great for them giving up those 1st's + this trade really set up TB to have very little in cupboards going forward just as there window appears to be closing or maybe even already has closed
It officially closed the window. Jeannot is a 4th liner at best. Why did we give him a raise ? He didn't even deter the Montour on the panthers from trying to break kucherovs neck . If Jeannot isn't punching people in the face he is useless. Jbb gave up 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th and gave him a raise of 2.665 million for this year and next for a cookie cutter 4th line enforcer that lacks big play ability. Fat Pat and Perry did more for less.
He could have used the 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th to address a real need a top 4 defenseman to help Hedman and Sergachev.
JBb had a terrible offseason
Extended Jeannot F
Signed Fleury F
Signed Dehann F
Sign Sheary F
I know he is digging for diamonds in the rough, but none of them showed they belong in the lightning sweater.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder what happened to Jeannot. Is it just injuries? He was legitimately good for us the year before the trade. His goal-scoring pace was unsustainable with the high shooting percentage, but even if you settled it back down he would have been a really good bottom-6 player. 10-15 goals, ferocious forechecking, and he wasn't as bad in terms of skating and defense as others are saying. Not at first anyway. But whether the burden from the fighting started to take its toll on him physically (or even mentally/psychologically) or whether he stopped taking his vitamins or something... I don't know. But he definitely changed into a different player after that first meteoric rise. We were thinking he'd be a $4M+ player on his next contract, and the comparisons were being made to Tom Wilson.

Then everything fell apart the next year. Not just the shooting percentage, but he just looked slower, far less effective in every area of the game. The funny thing is, that's what he looked like when Tampa made the trade. They were clearly hoping they could rediscover the first-year version, but that certainly hasn't happened either. It would be interesting to find out what happened to Jeannot, because obviously something changed for him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
A bad trade sure, but one of the worst in NHL history? No. People grossly overrate the value of draft picks. Statistically, all those draft picks are unlikely to yield more than one NHLer, and not necessarily a great one either.

That said, what compounded the mistake was signing him to a bad contract afterwards. JBB gambled that he would essentially replace Killorn in the top 6 and would see his value inflate, so he signed him early. Took a wild swing and whiffed completely.

Aside from that though, JBB's trade history is pretty decent. Hagel was a fantastic acquisition (that he wisely extended early), the Paul trade was good as well. Then of course there were Goodrow and Coleman. So, win some lose some I guess.

You are understating how bad it is. On the spectrum of Bad Trade -----------------------------One of the worst, it's at least right in the middle.

Jeannot seemingly cant play, Tampa could've acquired multiple good players with those picks if they were shrewd enough, instead it slammed their window shut, And the 2025 1st who knows, it coud be a really high pick if the wheels really fall off and if Stamkos and other guys go.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Was a bad trade at the time, and looks even worse in hindsight.

"Oh but they had to outbid other teams! That was the going rate!"

Good, then let somebody else f*** up.

Reactions: Hoek

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
It`s tough to predict some health issues, but he costs more than Goodrow and Coleman and its crazy

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure they thought they could play him up in the lineup get him points and still have the toughness, but he didn't produce at all offensively.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I wonder what happened to Jeannot. Is it just injuries? He was legitimately good for us the year before the trade. His goal-scoring pace was unsustainable with the high shooting percentage, but even if you settled it back down he would have been a really good bottom-6 player. 10-15 goals, ferocious forechecking, and he wasn't as bad in terms of skating and defense as others are saying. Not at first anyway. But whether the burden from the fighting started to take its toll on him physically (or even mentally/psychologically) or whether he stopped taking his vitamins or something... I don't know. But he definitely changed into a different player after that first meteoric rise. We were thinking he'd be a $4M+ player on his next contract, and the comparisons were being made to Tom Wilson.

Then everything fell apart the next year. Not just the shooting percentage, but he just looked slower, far less effective in every area of the game. The funny thing is, that's what he looked like when Tampa made the trade. They were clearly hoping they could rediscover the first-year version, but that certainly hasn't happened either. It would be interesting to find out what happened to Jeannot, because obviously something changed for him.

I'm curious too. From all reports, Nashville management really liked Jeannot but they didn't even try to give him a chance at a rebound season before trading him. Maybe there was something that happened behind the scenes that made them feel he was just going to be a flash in the pan or maybe the offer for the Lightning was just too good to turn down.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
By trading all their picks, the Lightning basically ensured that when the Kucherov/Hedman/Point/Vasilevskiy party is over, they will bottom out REALLY HARD because there will be nobody there. Which I guess is fine, of course better to have some tradeable assets at that point to help stock the pick cupboard more with excess ones, but better than having guys you hang onto because you get wishy washy about going full tank and thinking they may be able to ride out a rebuild and you just purgatory yourself picking 7, 8, 9 for a few years.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It was a bit more dramatic with the whole trading a whole draft than the result, but what does a package of 3rd, 4th and 5th get you realistically? This isn't the NFL, you already get into "longshot to be a meaningful depth NHL player" pretty quickly. Obviously a bad trade since Jeannot is a replacement level player you can find in Free Agency easily. I wouldn't use hyperbole though since the 1st is Top-10 protected and good chance it ends up being in a similar spot as the ones they traded for Hagel, around 19th-20th since the Lightning still have enough high-end core pieces to get to the postseason next year.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
None of the picks other than the 1st matter and the 1st is likely to be pretty late as well.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This trade was absolute debacle for TB

Jeannot is terrible and isn't even a good 4th liner at this point

Giving away a 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th for him has to be one of the worst and most lopsided trades in recent NHL history

What the hell was TB GM thinking with this trade?

Despite Hagel being great for them giving up those 1st's + this trade really set up TB to have very little in cupboards going forward just as there window appears to be closing or maybe even already has closed
The media defending BriseBois after the deal was the worst part.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
One interesting thing to come of this was Brisebois had to publicly defend the trade and basically said late 1st round picks aren't really worth that much, which is true and I don't remember a GM ever saying it. Still a bad trade cause of the opportunity cost of acquiring a useful player instead.

Reactions: Hoek

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I love people bagging on a team with two cups. I’m sure they do what Patty Roy does with his rings when people want to try to diminish what they did.
Successful teams/front offices can make bad moves. It doesn’t negate their wonderful run, but it was no doubt a terrible use of resources.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Yeah there's no denying it's one of the worst trades, but I think there's plenty of factors why it happened:

1) Jeannot had some very promising play for the Preds the season before and showed potential for a middle 6 power forward.
2) Big guys who can play in the top 9 are always in high-demand and Jeannot having that good season before fooled Tampa into thinking he could. This is not so different to Montreal overpaying for Josh Anderson despite the previous season being a complete write-off. And yes, there was a ton of interest which drove the price up. If it wasn't Tampa making this mistake, it was going to be someone else.
3) Tampa knew they would lose Killorn a year later. He was like the only guy with size in their top 9, so I think Tampa was hoping that Jeannot could fill those shoes and fit their cap structure in the future.
4) Coleman and Goodrow worked out a couple years earlier, and they gave up 1st rounders then too. Probably lowered the bar to take another risk.

I said it when he played in Nashville that the physical style he played would have him out of hockey by 30. He hit every thing in sight and threw his body around recklessly. He was an undrafted rookie and wanted to be noticed and hustled but now has a spot on the team.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
None of the picks other than the 1st matter and the 1st is likely to be pretty late as well.
The first round pick is next year and if Stamkos leaves it could be fairly high. It is top 10 protected though and Predators get nothing for it back if it’s top 10.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
A clear case of a bidding war gone wrong.
This is what happened. Some other team out there was also offering a late 1st. Maybe even in 2023. So in order to beat that offer, Tampa had to throw in some extra picks plus offset the fact that their 1st was down the road. That other team dodged the bullet... some GM out there (possibly who changed teams shortly thereafter anyway!) just barely escaped the kind of criticism that is all landing on Brisebois now.... but he wasn't the only one ready to pay a high price in the hopes of getting the rookie version of Jeannot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad