Tanner Jeannot trade

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm more curious what happened to the Jeannot that had that really good start to his career with Nashville. Did he have some sort of serious injury that absolutely derailed his career or something?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I'm more curious what happened to the Jeannot that had that really good start to his career with Nashville. Did he have some sort of serious injury that absolutely derailed his career or something?
His rookie year was largely smoke and mirrors. He shot like 20%. I thought he would settle in at 10-15 goals, which he still might, but he also doesn't do anything else particularly well other than hit people. Poor defensively too.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The reason why the Bolts paid as much as they did was because Jeannot was an RFA eligible for arbitration and they thought they could get value from the bridge deal he ended up signing. It was a similar risk to that of the Hagel trade; they really needed to take gambles on young players who had shown upside and take advantage of their contracts while their core is still capable of playing good hockey.

Problem was, Jeannot was just not the guy to target.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Acquiring these kind of players almost always require a massive overpayment and rarely ever work. Mainly cause the team who has them doesn’t wanna trade them so you have to go at them with a stupid offer. This time it was an overpayment right off the bat but also aged worse than I think some thought it would. I personally thought high end he’d be one of those “3rd guys” on an elite line who cashes in and makes the line click and worst case a 3rd liner with grit who will chip in 30-40 points. He became a 4th line goon with very little impact on the teams overall results and almost unplayable in the playoffs

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This trade was absolute debacle for TB

Jeannot is terrible and isn't even a good 4th liner at this point

Giving away a 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th for him has to be one of the worst and most lopsided trades in recent NHL history

What the hell was TB GM thinking with this trade?

Despite Hagel being great for them giving up those 1st's + this trade really set up TB to have very little in cupboards going forward just as there window appears to be closing or maybe even already has closed
A guy living high off of winning with Yzermans core thinking he is the smartest guy in the league and can do no wrong.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I've never really understood the comparisons between this trade and the Hagel/Coleman trades for example. Those were players that Tampa paid a big price for, but they also had proven their worth way more than Jeannot and came with upside. Jeannot had one fluke year and Tampa gave up all their assets to get him. And they didn't even trade for him during that fluke year, but instead the following season when Jeannot was already putting up awful numbers.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I've never really understood the comparisons between this trade and the Hagel/Coleman trades for example. Those were players that Tampa paid a big price for, but they also had proven their worth way more than Jeannot and came with upside. Jeannot had one fluke year and Tampa gave up all their assets to get him. And they didn't even trade for him during that fluke year, but instead the following season when Jeannot was already putting up awful numbers.

They were all overpayments. All of those trades. The Jeannot gets singled out because it was made the time the Lightning didn't end up winning the cup. Their previous ones weren't won because of Coleman or Hagel, its because they had a Norris Dman, a Vezina goalie and some of the most offensively talented forwards all in their prime at the same time. The overpayments were seen as smart moves because of the correlation of winning, yet they had very little to do with the causation. They'd have been panned just as much if Tampa hadn't come away with any championships.

Reactions: The Burdened

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Seriously, there was no upside to this trade. Neber made sense. I honestly thought it was a typo when the trade broke, no one gives up that many draft picks for the current version of a David Clarkson.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
They were all overpayments. All of those trades. The Jeannot gets singled out because it was made the time the Lightning didn't end up winning the cup. Their previous ones weren't won because of Coleman or Hagel, its because they had a Norris Dman, a Vezina goalie and some of the most offensively talented forwards all in their prime at the same time. The overpayments were seen as smart moves because of the correlation of winning, yet they had very little to do with the causation. They'd have been panned just as much if Tampa hadn't come away with any championships.
Hagel didn't win a Cup either and every single Lightning fan thinks it was a good trade, so none of this makes any sense.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Julien BriseBois is overrated as shit as a GM. @ me if you want.

Cool, the guy found bottom six forwards that fit in well with the team (Goodrow, Coleman) but he paid way too many assets for them. A Stanley Cup contender was built before he got there, and he just slid right in and reaped all the rewards. Yes, those players he traded for were obviously great fits, but holy smokes. Trading first round picks for third liners doesn’t make him a great GM.

The Jeannot trade shows how shitty of a GM he is

This guy gets it

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Julien BriseBois is overrated as shit as a GM. @ me if you want.
While I enjoy the downfall of arrogant powerhouses as much as the next guy, this is a bit much to me. As a completely neutral observer to this diacussion:

GM is responsible for more than trades and roster. They win, others don't. The teams with the bold moves: Florida, Tampa, Vegas are at the top.

Yes, they will make mistakes but the teams that don't take risks remain outside looking in. Things will last until they fall apart and the ones who compete the hardest will end up making the most spectacular mistakes and crashing hardest.

Which GM didn't inherit a roster and won a cup? It's damn rare, and usually benefit from some other favourable circumstances, like in Vegas' case.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I mean he had 7 in 15 as a 24yo on Nashville and then scored 24g as a rookie at 25 on nashville. I'm not familiar enough with the player too say what has changed with him since then but paying a 1st and a 2nd for a 25yo 25g scorer who can play D, is physical, and is moving from a team without depth scoring and high end playmaking to a team that can is something most GM's would do I think.

His stats have basically been the same since his rookie campaign, but it's still not much of a gamble to trade a 1st that's probably 6 years away from producing in the NHL (if they make it at all) for a guy with that kind of potential.

It hasn't worked out yet, but if you think GM's wouldn't try and take a flyer on that kind of player 10/10 times when it doesn't matter how they look in 4-6 years, you probably overestimate the value draft picks have to GM's who aren't rebuilding. These guys are trying not to lose their jobs.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
This trade is the main reason I have doubts that JBB can make this team competitive again. You don't make a trade like that unless you're an absolute f***ing clown and think you're smarter than everyone. Everyone knew the second it was announced that this would turn out horribly aside from JBB.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
This is one of those ones I'd pay to see the exact circumstances behind it. I still am having a hard time wrapping my mind around all those picks behind used for a bottom six player. It's not boredom on nhl 23 bad, it's you handed the controller to your younger brother who you pissed off earlier and he's trading your whole draft for a 4th liner to get back at you bad.

Reactions: FinnLightning26

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Blackhawks should give Tampa a 5th or something for him, the meatball contingent crying for more size in the lineup would love him. Plus he was pretty good defensively before the injuries.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes. Called this trade terrible the second I saw it. Traded for a 4th liner and paying like he was a first liner. There were better players acquired for third rounders that deadline.

Only revisionists or apologists would argue otherwise.

3, 4, 5 were in 2023

Dylan MacKinnon in round 3
TB required the 4th for Chicagos 4th in 2024
Nash used the 5th to help trade up in round 2 from 47 to 43 to draft Felix Nilsson.

2nd is this upcoming draft as well as that flipped 4th. and first in 2025.

Thus so far, just MacKinnon. And used as a trade up chip to secure Nilsson.
What was done with the picks afterward has NOTHING to do with their value when the trade was made.

This is like saying, if you sold a bottle of water for a thousand dollars, and the next day you have a house fire, that the trade was bad. No, no it wasn't. They're two separate events.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Blackhawks should give Tampa a 5th or something for him, the meatball contingent crying for more size in the lineup would love him. Plus he was pretty good defensively before the injuries.
Some team will. Seems feasible to get a 4th/5th. Maybe a 3rd if we get lucky

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Have the people saying he was good defensively watched him play? He's slow and has questionable hockey sense. He can barely play defense and is a trainwreck in the NZ, if there's anything he's capable of besides potting an acceptable number of goals for a 4th liner it's forechecking hard, which I guess is technically "defense" but in his case it's just chasing hits

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Not even close to the worst trade. Erat for Forsberg comes to mind without even thinking.
Caps flipped Erat for Klesla, Klesla for Halak, Halak for a 4th rounder, two 4ths for 3rd, which was used to draft Stanley Cup winning team member Nathan Walker.

Rangers used one those 4th rounders to draft Igor Shesterkin. Everyone wins.

Reactions: Shark Finn

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He was thought of as an intimidation factor, Cooper had a hard-on for that type of player and probably signed off on the deal. Remember that Leafs series where he tried to bully Toronto by fighting Schenn. Ironically enough that's the only playoff series the Leafs have won in almost 20 years.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It was a miss. Tampa is on the decline with or without this trade, though. It’s just hockey gravity.

ron-swanson-parks-and-rec.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad