Tank Thread Part V: Raindrop, droptop, prospect cupboard running low on good stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think Miller's been excellent for long stretches this season. Honestly we'd be in the mix with Arizona if Miller gave us Markstrom-quality most nights.

A great goalie is awesome when you have a good team in front of him. It can take you from being sorta-good to a cup contender. It's why I hope our rebuild coincides with Demko's eventual progression to (I hope) a top tier NHL goalie.

But on a terrible team it is the worst thing. Gets you wins you don't deserve and points you don't need.

For a team that was in desperate need of rebuilding in the summer of 2014, a 3 year deal with Miller was a mistake. Just hope they don't compound it by trying to bring him back.

Before the game I think Miller was .915, 32 starts 14W 3OTL. Markstrom is .913, 21 starts 9W 3otl. Miller has had more standout games but overall they've been about equal. Miller number are a bit better after tonights win updates but overall close enough.

last year was the same
Miller 51GS 17W 9OTL .916
Markstrom 30GS 13 4OTL .915

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Before the game I think Miller was .915, 32 starts 14W 3OTL. Markstrom is .913, 21 starts 9W 3otl. Miller has had more standout games but overall they've been about equal. Miller number are a bit better after tonights win updates but overall close enough.

last year was the same
Miller 51GS 17W 9OTL .916
Markstrom 30GS 13 4OTL .915

Ya I'm not sure the stats bare it out and maybe my eye test is biased, but he's been excellent since around December. Certainly helped this team get farther ahead than their dismal talent level suggests.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Part of the reason Edmonton's young players never developed is every mistake ended up in the back of their net.

Look at Miller bailing out Stecher tonight.

Gives him a lot more confidence than if his blunders constantly hurt the team. Same for Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Tryamkin, Hutton, etc.

Great signing. Ryan Miller provides excellent veteran leadership, and saves the franchise from complete embarrassment.

Nah. Wasn't that simple.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Ryan Miller provides excellent veteran leadership, and saves the franchise from complete embarrassment.

Remaining mediocre instead of rebuilding like the Leafs and actually having a chance in hell of being a decent playoff team again that people actually want to pay to go see and get excited about is 'saving the franchise from complete embarrassment'?

What?

Who are people making fun of more? The Toronto Maple Leafs with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly etc or the Canucks?

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Remaining mediocre instead of rebuilding like the Leafs and actually having a chance in hell of being a decent playoff team again that people actually want to pay to go see and get excited about is 'saving the franchise from complete embarrassment'?

What?

Who are people making fun of more? The Toronto Maple Leafs with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly etc or the Canucks?
3rd worst team last season and looking to be in the same boat this season.

How is Miller saving this franchise from embarrassment again?

Do people forget him losing to calgary after being up 3-0 on the road? :laugh:

Let's not act like Miller is this ridiculously good goaltender that some want to believe.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't care that you are cheering for Boston (I will b too) but you don't cheer for that guy! Boston has lots of guys to cheer for from Bergeron to I don't know Pasternak... Wish we had a chance for a player like that...

Meh, Marchand is a good player with a lot of skill. Funny to watch. He'd be a fan favourite here in Vancouver, if he was drafted by us and doing what he's doing with Boston.

Marchand, Pastrnak and I believe Bergeron have been an incredibly hot line lately.

Pastrnak is looking really good.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ya I'm not sure the stats bare it out and maybe my eye test is biased, but he's been excellent since around December. Certainly helped this team get farther ahead than their dismal talent level suggests.

Miller had had some really nice hot streaks but he's had some cold ones too. For example just Miller had a hot streak in January so that is fresh in the memory (9 games .944) but cold steak Nov/December (17 games, .902). Previous similar hot October, cold Nov/Dec, hot Jan-Mar. When he on a hot streak he looks great, hopefully he keeps playing well enough we can recoup a 2nd to get back a portion of the value of the $18m commitment.

Marky is more random. Maybe he just didn't get enough games close together to really get a steak going.

Last edited:

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Meh, Marchand is a good player with a lot of skill. Funny to watch. He'd be a fan favourite here in Vancouver, if he was drafted by us and doing what he's doing with Boston.

Marchand, Pastrnak and I believe Bergeron have been an incredibly hot line lately.

Pastrnak is looking really good.

Pastrnak had a bit of a lull but seems to have picked it up again.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Part of the reason Edmonton's young players never developed is every mistake ended up in the back of their net.

Gives him a lot more confidence than if his blunders constantly hurt the team. Same for Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Tryamkin, Hutton, etc.

Great signing. Ryan Miller provides excellent veteran leadership, and saves the franchise from complete embarrassment.

the most pedestrian, lazy explanation, but sure, why not. Lets not take any other factors into it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If we do a thread for Tippett than I can come up with a new title with a funny twitter reply to ScanBC, that is Canuck-related.. :laugh:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

I'd rather not have a goaltender who thinks hes better than the rest of the team and stares down his defensemen when a goal is scored. 36 year old veteran and he still does that cowardly **** to rookie defensemen. Oh yeah, that game against Buffalo where he called out our franchise player of 15 years was sad too.

Can't wait untill this POS void of character is off our team. Don't Demko to learn how to be a turd from this guy.. Jesus Christ.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
the most pedestrian, lazy explanation, but sure, why not. Lets not take any other factors into it.

Pretty much. If they'd only signed an over 30, middle of the pack goalie, everything would have been just fine.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Can't wait to get the tank back on track. I knew we had to win one (honestly going into the month I thought we would beat Nashville, so we're right around where I felt we would be).

Let's go Bruins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad