Tank Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
OK you go tell the players to lose on purpose. I would turn off the TV if the players were not trying

That is why I hate the word tank. It implies players/coaches don't try to win. Under no circumstances will a player try to lose or will the coach. A GM may look at the longer term and make decisions that hurt your competitive chances in the short term. So I guess that is what is what I see as a tank. The organization choosing the long term at the expense of your short term success.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That is why I hate the word tank. It implies players/coaches don't try to win. Under no circumstances will a player try to lose or will the coach. A GM may look at the longer term and make decisions that hurt your competitive chances in the short term. So I guess that is what is what I see as a tank. The organization choosing the long term at the expense of your short term success.

Exactly. These guys jobs depend on them doing well. GM's are the true tank commanders. Trading Ladd and Buff would help. Hopefully that gets done sooner rather than later.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I wonder how much yesterday's lack of offense from Nashville contributed to the Seth Jones/Ryan Johansen trade...

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Why didn't the jets try to sign Mike Richards, he would be close to home?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why didn't the jets try to sign Mike Richards, he would be close to home?

They might have. I imagine he took the Washington deal because they are a guaranteed playoff team at this point. Richards probably feels like he has to prove something at this point as well. Signing to a bubble team probably wasn't an option for him. His best chance at redemption lies with a team like Washington.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
They might have. I imagine he took the Washington deal because they are a guaranteed playoff team at this point. Richards probably feels like he has to prove something at this point as well. Signing to a bubble team probably wasn't an option for him. His best chance at redemption lies with a team like Washington.
Good point, I guess Ovechkin signed off on it.
Somehow I don't think Chevy even tried.

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine
It's odd to hope for the teams below the Jets in the standings to win...
Really hoping for 3 pt games b/n ANA/TOR and VAN/CAR, and for a speedy recovery by Pavelec.
Tank on Jets!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I still don't think this team is anywhere close to a "bottom five". They don't seem likely to make the playoffs, but unless they really fold their tent they are more likely to around 10-14, especially if they get decent goaltending. Their schedule and inconsistent goaltending so far has made them look worse than they are. Trading Buff and Ladd might sink them somewhat, but I don't think that's a given. Trouba and Myers might well pick it up and I think Ladd's contribution to the team can be compensated.

I think that the approach should be to pick up extra 1st round picks and prospects for Ladd and Buff, and then make those picks count. If they get lucky enough to win a 1-3 pick through the lottery, so much the better.

There are only 2 points bstween 5th last and 10th last right now and 2more to 3rd. If Pav had not been injured we would probably be in that 3rd spot right now. On paper we are far too good for top 5. On paper we should be in the playoffs but we are not living up to our paper level. If we keep taking more penalties than any other team we can easily get to top 5 even with Helle.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OK you go tell the players to lose on purpose. I would turn off the TV if the players were not trying

Nobody is suggesting that. Nobody. Some are suggesting sending Helle back to the Moose but that's about as close as they come. Trade Ladd, trade Buff. We don't have replacements so that should help bottom out. But that isn't deliberately playing to lose either.

Edit: In hindsight I will amend my statement. Nobody except Puck is suggesting that. :):laugh:

Last edited:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Speaking of taking penalties ... after watching Vancouver Carolina game I'm starting to think the NHL is fixing games. How can you miss a stick to the face when you are calling as Paul would say jay walking penalties.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
On paper we should be in the playoffs but we are not living up to our paper level.

I don't know what 'paper'you are talking about. Look at our fourth line minutes. Look at our third pairing D. Look at our revolving door of AHLers coming up and down. Look at our depth scoring. Look at our special teams. What paper says we are a playoff team?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't know what 'paper'you are talking about. Look at our fourth line minutes. Look at our third pairing D. Look at our revolving door of AHLers coming up and down. Look at our depth scoring. Look at our special teams. What paper says we are a playoff team?

We are not losing games because of our fourth line. The fourth line has been on the ice for 9 goals scored and 5 goals against for a goal differential of +4.

It's a combination of penalties, poor special teams and a stretch of extremely poor goaltending in november.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm always happy to see our team win, but I'm extremely uncomfortable knowing that the only reason that we have any hope at all of making the playoffs is because of a single player. If Helle wasn't as capable as he is we wouldn't be where we are. So that puts us exactly one injury away from being back to a non-playoff team. That's not a successful team makeup.

When I speak of tanking, it's not so much about finishing in the bottom to draft high (although drafting high would be a great thing) like many of you I just hate to see us with the false hope of where the team as a whole stands in relation to the ability of the top teams in the league.

We need to make some changes and from past experience it's going to take some sort of drastic wake up call in order for those changes to be made. That's my only reason for not minding us finishing lower this year. But as I said, if we are in mediocrity-ville again, it doesn't seem to be enough to make changes.

Anyway it's win/win for me every game, because a loss hopefully gets management to think seriously about where we are headed (or not headed), and a win always makes me happy.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Also, jets should make heavy wagers on Jets losing to help fill the coffers.

This guy can be the bag man:

pete_rose_head.jpg

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
We are not losing games because of our fourth line. The fourth line has been on the ice for 9 goals scored and 5 goals against for a goal differential of +4.

It's a combination of penalties, poor special teams and a stretch of extremely poor goaltending in november.

Get out of here with those facts and common sense! No tank thread needs those! :rant:

:sarcasm:

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS

well i think an argument could be made that if we had a better 4th line that could play more/harder minutes, it would make everything better for the other 3, and could help the results.

but yeah i'd agree special teams and bad stretches of goalieing are much bigger factors.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I fear that there could be quite a few disappointed people in this thread if this team somehow figures out their dicipline issues and get their special teams on track. That combined with Hellebuyck and you would have a playoff team. I do hope we move one of or both of Ladd and Buff. I don't think we can move forward without moving on from them and getting futures is probably the best thing for this franchise. After that, let the pieces fall where they may.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm always happy to see our team win, but I'm extremely uncomfortable knowing that the only reason that we have any hope at all of making the playoffs is because of a single player. If Helle wasn't as capable as he is we wouldn't be where we are. So that puts us exactly one injury away from being back to a non-playoff team. That's not a successful team makeup.

When I speak of tanking, it's not so much about finishing in the bottom to draft high (although drafting high would be a great thing) like many of you I just hate to see us with the false hope of where the team as a whole stands in relation to the ability of the top teams in the league.

We need to make some changes and from past experience it's going to take some sort of drastic wake up call in order for those changes to be made. That's my only reason for not minding us finishing lower this year. But as I said, if we are in mediocrity-ville again, it doesn't seem to be enough to make changes.

Anyway it's win/win for me every game, because a loss hopefully gets management to think seriously about where we are headed (or not headed), and a win always makes me happy.

Kind of a curious position. For years many Jets fans on this board have said that all this team needs is good goaltending to compete. Now if the Jets perform well with a good goaltender, it will be a mirage, and some say that it will "ruin" the tank.

My own view is that this core is probably close to yours - this core needs to be upgraded, which probably means trading Ladd and possibly Buff (though I think he can be a contributor on a real contender).

Chevy will have to continue to draft well, and when the time is right make key moves to make a push for a deep playoff run.

As for the "tank", I think this team is too good to fall to the bottom 3, and we'll see that once the schedule turns in the Jets' favor. I think they still have a remote shot at the playoffs, but expect them to move both Buff and Ladd before the trade deadline and end up with a pick in the 6-12 range. If they add another couple of 1st rounders and good prospects in the Ladd/Buff deals, the Jets will still be in very good shape for the future, with a decent core along with a ton of cap space and a lot of young assets in their war chest.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I fear that there could be quite a few disappointed people in this thread if this team somehow figures out their dicipline issues and get their special teams on track. That combined with Hellebuyck and you would have a playoff team. I do hope we move one of or both of Ladd and Buff. I don't think we can move forward without moving on from them and getting futures is probably the best thing for this franchise. After that, let the pieces fall where they may.

Depends on a couple of things. If they slink away after another playoff whuppin' it won't really have accomplished much -- that would be its own brand of disappointment. If they get first rounders and a prospect or two worth the name from Ladd and Buff, added to their own first rounder (16th), it won't be the end of the world. But neither would a tank, the Ladd/Buff returns, and a top three pick.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Our fourth line plays few minutes due to the quality and capability of our fourth line. It is a known and recognized weakness. It requires our other lines to take more and harder minutes which of course has an impact especially as the year wears on. The best teams have depth, it’s what separates contenders from pretenders.

My post was actually responding to a statement that we are a playoff team on paper. If we are a playoff team on paper, then we are a paper tiger.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
well i think an argument could be made that if we had a better 4th line that could play more/harder minutes, it would make everything better for the other 3, and could help the results.

but yeah i'd agree special teams and bad stretches of goalieing are much bigger factors.

I agree. The main deficits have been substantial deficits on special teams and not good enough goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad