Tank Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We are in a playoff spot by 5 points

Well this result would mean we almost run the table between now and then but I will play along. If we have a deal or deals close to extend them then we pull the trigger and make it happen, If we are not planning on bringing one or either back it would depend entirely on the offer that is on the table for their services at the TD.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
If we are in the playoffs by 5 points and contracts can not be agreed upon with Ladd and Byfuglien come trade deadline day I'd be 100% all for trading them. Sometimes you have to make the hard decisions, this would be one of those times, but you cannot lose two top end players like this for nothing when you're a mediocre team like we are. You take your punches and move on, we're not winning a Stanley Cup this year, we're not Chicago or LA or Washington, so let's not kid ourselves. While I understand miracle runs can happen, to bank on that is silly. Getting a top-end prospect + 1st rd pick for Ladd and a top-end prospect + 1st rd pick for Byfuglien (which I think we can get for both if we trade them near or at the trade deadline) is a must if we cannot re-sign them, whether we are in the playoffs or not come that time.

Let's play rewind. Would we all sit here and say it was worth making the playoffs last season, getting beat out in round 1, then losing Ladd and Byfuglien for nothing as UFA July 1, 2015? no damn way, in my opinion.

If they aren't signed, trade them, no matter where we sit in the standings. Our organization is in no position to lose two top-end players like Ladd and Byfuglien for nothing.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I dont care if we're first in the central at the TDL. Trade em if theyre not signed.

They have absolutely no reason to even listen to an offer before July 1, where it will become a bidding war.

Signed or gone by the TDL.

mctttt

Oct 20, 2013
Outside fan coming in, don't catch a lot of Jets games. Wondering what is going on with Ladd got him on my fantasy team looking for even slightly less numbers then last year but not seeing anything. Wheeler and Little getting points and Ladd seems to be plugging it up on that line.

Expected a little more in a contract year. What's going on with him?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Outside fan coming in, don't catch a lot of Jets games. Wondering what is going on with Ladd got him on my fantasy team looking for even slightly less numbers then last year but not seeing anything. Wheeler and Little getting points and Ladd seems to be plugging it up on that line.

Expected a little more in a contract year. What's going on with him?

Ladd hasn't been on Little and Wheelers line for awhile. But Ladds been struggling all year to put up points. Looking sluggish and behind the play a lot of the time. We aren't really sure what's up either.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I posted this in the GDT but it's relevant here as well and sonething tank proponents should be wary of.

This team has not had a winning streak this year. They have yet to win 3 games in a row. There has been at least one streak every year so far. It's likely to happen at some point and when it does the team will get closer to the playoff line

:laugh: There doesn't not have to be a winning streak. Maybe this team doesn't have it in them. The odds say there must be one eventually though so I will just hope it comes after Ladd is traded and Buff is signed. Then if it is followed by an equal losing streak we will still be in the picture for a top 5 pick. :laugh: BTW, I am not cheering for losses. Ever. Game by game I always pull for a win. Looking at the bigger picture a soft tank of some sort is probably best for this year.

Some have been pointing out that after tonight our schedule gets much easier. It ends with 21 games in 40 days so it ain't exactly easy. If Helle keeps giving us good goaltending and the schedule is more friendly we could still come back from this far down. But only if we cut way down on the penalties. If we continue to lead the league in that department we might be just good enough to ruin the tank.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is almost nothing Chevy could have done to turn this core into a real contender over the past 5 seasons without trading picks / prospects to supplement the core. I just don't think the core was good enough. They still have Ladd and Buff as assets, and if they trade them before the TDL they'll get some valuable pieces back.

I believe that there has been value in bringing in some of the young players (Trouba, Scheif, Lowry, Ehlers, etc.) into a team that has veteran leadership and a good work ethic with this core of vets, even though they might have lost a bit of value on Ladd and Buff.

We shouldn't forget that there were likely some extenuating circumstances with moving Ladd and Buff earlier. Buff has basically been rehabilitated as a core player over the past two seasons. He had real conditioning issues under Noel, and started last season as a mediocre RW. His trade value was probably pretty low before he went back to D and became a real force again. Ladd had a nagging serious injury for much of last year. He might not have even passed a physical if a team had wanted to trade for him, since he needed surgery to correct the sports hernia in the off-season.

If the bold is correct that is the worst possible indictment of Chevy's management. He took the entire first year to evaluate this core and decided it WAS good enough to build a winner around. If you are correct 5 years and much of the value of the good players we inherited have been wasted.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If the bold is correct that is the worst possible indictment of Chevy's management. He took the entire first year to evaluate this core and decided it WAS good enough to build a winner around. If you are correct 5 years and much of the value of the good players we inherited have been wasted.

The difference the core was all on very favorable contracts. They were either signed long term or pending RFA's. I guess you could have sold them all off and do an Oilers type rebuild. Have no vets around for the kids to learn from so you just stay at the bottom despite their talent. This might have made sense I guess if the team came with a stocked cupboard of NHL ready prospects to start icing a lineup.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Both of these ideas can work together.

I mean 5 of the core's prime years were wasted due to a bad goaltending and depth. Here we are, 5 years later and two of the then core are pending UFAs. Toby is still solid, but not what he was.

Granted, Wheeler and Little little are awesome, but the rest of that core (Toby, Ladd, Byfuglien) may be either gone of significantly slowed by next year.

I'm not quite sure I'm following. Yes we have had bad goaltending and our depth has been hit and miss. But to get real depth the only really valuable assets we had were high draft picks. Is are current core strong enough and worth sacrificing the last 5 years of top picks to supplement? A grand total of 2 teams have won the cup since the 1st Jet's 2.0 game in October 2011. We weren't going to win a cup during that time no matter what happened short of Toews coming to Winnipeg and he brought the good Kane with him. IMO today we are in much better position to build a real contender based around our younger group of players. What would really help turn the tide is drafting in the top 5 and converting our pending UFA's into 1st round picks and blue chip prospects.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm not quite sure I'm following. Yes we have had bad goaltending and our depth has been hit and miss. But to get real depth the only really valuable assets we had were high draft picks. Is are current core strong enough and worth sacrificing the last 5 years of top picks to supplement? A grand total of 2 teams have won the cup since the 1st Jet's 2.0 game in October 2011. We weren't going to win a cup during that time no matter what happened short of Toews coming to Winnipeg and he brought the good Kane with him. IMO today we are in much better position to build a real contender based around our younger group of players. What would really help turn the tide is drafting in the top 5 and converting our pending UFA's into 1st round picks and blue chip prospects.

All I was saying is...

The Jets were a goalie away from being competitive.

That may not be the case any more - especially if Buff and Ladd are traded.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Dang, Hellebuyck solid, would have been nice for the tank + keeping Helle's stats up for the time being if we lost in regulation.

Oh well.

1 pt is better than 2! :naughty:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Keep the tank going :handclap:

1 pt games aren't going to get it done.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets are showing that this roster is much too good to be bottom 5. A major injury and maybe trading both Ladd and Buff for futures would drag them down, but Hellebuyck looks good enough to keep them far away from the basement.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The Preds have only played 19 road games with only 7 wins plus they have not played as many divisional games as the Jets. 4 points is nothing especially the way Bucky is playing.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I dont care if we're first in the central at the TDL. Trade em if theyre not signed.

They have absolutely no reason to even listen to an offer before July 1, where it will become a bidding war.

Signed or gone by the TDL.

I agree. I hope they sign.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets are showing that this roster is much too good to be bottom 5. A major injury and maybe trading both Ladd and Buff for futures would drag them down, but Hellebuyck looks good enough to keep them far away from the basement.

I'm ok with the team pushing for a playoff spot.....as long as that doesn't sway Chevy into making a bad decision regarding buff/Ladd. IMO if we traded both (or we signed buff to reasonable contract) and made the playoffs I would very happy.

Just don't sign Ladd.....for 6 yrs at 6.8 million per. Don't sign buff to 8 yrs either.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
All I was saying is...

The Jets were a goalie away from being competitive.

That may not be the case any more - especially if Buff and Ladd are traded.

Competitive yes, contenders no.
I honestly don't care about being "competitive" I want to be a contender. I don't want to merely compete for a Wild Card spot every damn season, I want to win the Stanley Cup.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Competitive yes, contenders no.
I honestly don't care about being "competitive" I want to be a contender. I don't want to merely compete for a Wild Card spot every damn season, I want to win the Stanley Cup.

This. I nearly ulcerated myself with worry about playoff positions last year. **** contending for the WC spot - I want to contend for the cup. This team continues to be a .500 team. You can argue scheduling all you want, but it all evens out in the end. We've seen this from the team before, and all that this will do is force Chevy to do nothing. We are objectively closer to the bottom than the top, and it's frustrating as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad