Proposal: Tanev to Toronto

Deleted member 55113

Why’s that? Tanev doesn’t have a high cap hit. At the worse we’d have to take back Matt Martin and I wouldn’t mind him at all.

Maybe it's just me, but $4.5mm for someone who plays half the games in a season (not to mention 3 consecutive years of declining # of games played) probably isn't a good bet. $2.5mm for that may be attainable.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Not a desperate state per say...
But they are looking at some contract trouble in the very near future where their best window might be narrowing soon.
There are plenty of reports and spread sheets that shat that, unless they get stupid, there is no cap crunch coming any time soon.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
leafs have some very good young players who are not going to be cost controlled for a while, but that is less of an advantage than it might be for a smaller market team or a team that has an established older expensive core, either of which might enable them to low ball these guys. they will need to pay those guys at least market as rfas, and they will need to be very careful about adding expensive pieces now that put themselves into a cap bind, because these young players are not likely going to be too happy if they are told there is no dough for them because they gave it to tavares or whoever. it will require careful steps.

they should be able to leverage the young guys into being a playoff team for a while. to be a contender though i think either the leafs will need to get doughty or karllson, and those guys are going to need to find another gear. could definitely happen.
Don't need Doughty or Karlsson. Last year's Cup winning team didn't have a D man like that. This year's won't either.
The Leafs will be modeled on a D corps something like what Vegas has. No top end player but no 5/6 guys either. In fact, some in the media are speculating that teams may worry more about the 3rd pair than the 1st pair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rimsky44

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Semi-desperate in that the Leafs have a clear window before Matthews costs McDavey money, and your other elite forwards cost a bundle as well. In the meantime...you're going to have growing pains at best with young drafted defencemen filtering through. The Leafs are at the very least, semi-desperate for a quality shutdown big minute defenceman...right now. Someone exactly like Tanev.

Our beat up old truck gets work done. If ya'll Toronto folks want to put a Ferrari on defence, go ahead and try...but you're gonna wish you had a bit more old beat up truck to your defence corps at the end of the day. If Toronto don't want it, either someone else will...or we can just keep it, and continue to use it to get work done.
If the Leafs missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons (as was predicted by every single analyst) would they be desperate? Of course not. We're in the same position only with 13 playoff games experience.
We're getting close. But it's not time to go out and start trading away picks and prospects that we still need.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I wonder if Tanev gets traded do the Canucks want a Center instead of a pick

Last edited:

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
If AV ends up with the NY Islanders. I could see a Tanev to the Islanders trade. but are they looking for a 1st round pick of the two the Islanders have or a Center Brock Nelson? who is a RFA

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Could the Canucks be asking for a center for Tanev instead of a pick? would the fan base go nuts

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Could the Canucks be asking for a center for Tanev instead of a pick? would the fan base go nuts
Who needs defensemen with all the elite forwards we draft?

Seriously though, take a good look at who the one solid D prospect this management has been able to acquire in 4 full seasons they've been at the helm and who's left to break him in. Guds? :laugh:

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Well. Just my thought but I think the Canucks fell like he is there best chance to get a center back

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
These tanev trades suck and if that is all that is offered hold onto him, and this comes from someone who wants to trade him.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Tanev for Jenner is definitely a Jim Benning trade. 30 goals three years ago followed up by 31 in the two seasons since. Sell the trade as acquiring a 24 year old 30 goal scorer with leadership.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
It's still possible, but Gilman likely knows the types of players Benning values so he'll likely offer someone like Connor Brown as the central piece.
And Gilman has proven to be a savant when it comes to trades over the years. With his trading track record nobody will want to make a deal with the Leafs

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Tanev for Jenner is definitely a Jim Benning trade. 30 goals three years ago followed up by 31 in the two seasons since. Sell the trade as acquiring a 24 year old 30 goal scorer with leadership.
Sounds like a slam dunk!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I like Jenner but when i watched him this year he just doesn't have enough speed to turn the needle and he's not a top6 sniper. I'm thinking he's settling into more of a 2/3 line guy like Higgins and those types are not the kind you spend value assets for.

Yes Benning scares the hell out of me too

Reactions: vancityluongo

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo has been quoted as saying he's not trading Tanev, but if the right deal came along I'm sure he'd take the plunge....I keep thinking back to last March when the Canucks went on a bit of a roll with Tanev out of the lineup. There's still no doubt they're a better team when he's in the lineup, but not convinced the Canucks view him as the critical piece to their success that they once did.

And yes with Gilman in TO and with Lou Lamoriello out of the picture I could see the Leafs revisiting a deal like this. Really depends whether Linden, Benning and the Canucks are 'all-in' on the rebuild bandwagon, If so, and there are suitors out there for guys like Tanev and Sutter, you have to seriously consider it.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
What great trades has Gillman made ?
He hasn’t. I was responding to a post that said he would offer Connor Brown as the centrepiece of a Tanev deal, like he’s some sort of Bill Torrey or Sam Pollack, young Glen Sather superstar hockey trader all rolled into one.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Well, I'd rather be associated with the group that made the Ehrhoff trade over the one that made the Seguin trade but YMMV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad