Proposal: Tanev to Toronto

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Torontos top line disappears in the playoffs accept for Marner. Thell be in their own trouble, good.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
They'll be fine if they have good management going forward. They are just like every other team in their place. They have some nice, young talented players, but these guys aren't going to win the cup alone.

You need a complete team to win a cup and having a player like Tanev would have gone a long way. I think this thread started off with one poster who was in love with all of his prospects and think they will all be stars, and the reality is in the NHL you have go give something up to get something. The worst part is, b prospects are throw ins on trades for players like Tanev. You don't say a deal is not going to happen if said b prospect is included. He is just the kicker.

Reactions: NucksRock

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
105 points, made the playoffs and they are in a semi desperate state? I guess the Canucks are sitting much prettier than the Leafs (LOL). You aren't getting Getting Ferraris ( Liljegrin + 1st ) for a beat-up old truck (Tanev) I'ts just not happening!!!

Semi-desperate in that the Leafs have a clear window before Matthews costs McDavey money, and your other elite forwards cost a bundle as well. In the meantime...you're going to have growing pains at best with young drafted defencemen filtering through. The Leafs are at the very least, semi-desperate for a quality shutdown big minute defenceman...right now. Someone exactly like Tanev.

Our beat up old truck gets work done. If ya'll Toronto folks want to put a Ferrari on defence, go ahead and try...but you're gonna wish you had a bit more old beat up truck to your defence corps at the end of the day. If Toronto don't want it, either someone else will...or we can just keep it, and continue to use it to get work done.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Tavares re-ups in Long Island, this thread should be changed to Tanev to NY Islanders.

Be fantastic to get one of their 2018 1sts.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Semi-desperate in that the Leafs have a clear window before Matthews costs McDavey money, and your other elite forwards cost a bundle as well. In the meantime...you're going to have growing pains at best with young drafted defencemen filtering through. The Leafs are at the very least, semi-desperate for a quality shutdown big minute defenceman...right now. Someone exactly like Tanev.

Our beat up old truck gets work done. If ya'll Toronto folks want to put a Ferrari on defence, go ahead and try...but you're gonna wish you had a bit more old beat up truck to your defence corps at the end of the day. If Toronto don't want it, either someone else will...or we can just keep it, and continue to use it to get work done.

How does he get any work done when he's never in the line up

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Wouldn’t be the worst thing to hit the bottom for a season. Didn’t stop the Avs from having a good 2017-18 and a guaranteed top 4 pick would be a good add.

Yeeeah.. I gotta say. I don't feel better finishing 5th last instead of dead last.
This year it actually felt so sad that they pulled out of guaranteed top5 pick during the last games that didnt matter. (Apart from the Sedin goodbye tour :puppy: )

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Why the anti Leaf troll. Other teams are able to sign their players when they come off their ELCs, the Leafs will able to sign their RFAs also but if that's your anti Leaf rant so be it. If your logic is that the Leafs are win now....factual incorrect. Leafs will still be a development mode this year with Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Sparks new to the team and Borgman, Kapanen, Johnson getting full time duty. I'm sure Leaf management would rather hold onto their assets and maybe acquire a UFA Dman in 2019/20 then having Tanev and his 4.4m plugging up the caps.
If Tanev is so valuable, can't he be traded to any other team besides the Leafs? Guess not. I really would like to a just one Tanev trade going to another team, but apparently it just can't be done.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have four guys that are key and Tanev is one of them. He won't be traded this Summer.
People do understand that Tanev played fewer than 50 games last season, and the Canucks actually went on a winning streak in March when he was out of the lineup....I'm sure the Canucks 'higher-ups' took note....if nothing else, it should have promoted discussion about his trade value.

And now that Shanny has cleaned house in the Leafs upper-management, I suppose there's a chance the Leafs re-engage trade discussion with Benning.....Leafs need a right-shot d-man and everybody knows it. But doubt they'd be willing to give up the assets to make it happen.

Deleted member 55113

There is no way this trade happens now that Gillman is there.

In your defense, not sure there was any way this trade would have happened even without Gilman. Makes no sense cap-wise for Toronto, unless Vancouver wanted to eat significant cap.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
In your defense, not sure there was any way this trade would have happened even without Gilman. Makes no sense cap-wise for Toronto, unless Vancouver wanted to eat significant cap.
Why’s that? Tanev doesn’t have a high cap hit. At the worse we’d have to take back Matt Martin and I wouldn’t mind him at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad