Proposal: Tanev to Toronto

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
If you can't get a 1st for him you don't trade him. I know the Moj rails on about how he is not worth a first, but he absolutely is. If you are Vancouver and you are offered a very late 1st for him, I think you have to think twice about doing it. To me, he is worth at least a 1st and a high B prospect. This is a guy that can substantially transform your blue line.

If the buyers are only going to give you trash for him because they say is is frequently injured, you don't trade him.
I stated 2 years ago you could have got a first for him if we got lucky..There is no chance you will now.We take a 2nd rd pick and a prospect and run.Its not Tan man anymore,,its glass man...

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I stated 2 years ago you could have got a first for him if we got lucky..There is no chance you will now.We take a 2nd rd pick and a prospect and run.Its not Tan man anymore,,its glass man...

I love how much posters negotiate with themselves.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Could be the worst post Ive ever read. Tanev then and now will get a 1st ++. Top pairing dman injuries or not just like what Calgary traded for...twice

Reactions: vanwest

member 290103

Completely disagree with this. That's not nearly enough for what you are giving up. If that's all you can get, you keep him.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Could be the worst post Ive ever read. Tanev then and now will get a 1st ++. Top pairing dman injuries or not just like what Calgary traded for...twice
Tanev will not get a 1st. He plays top pairing on this team because we have nothing better.On any other team he is a 2nd pairing who is injury riddled.
If we get a 1st for him great,,all im saying is,,dont hold your breath.I dont think we will.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Tanev will not get a 1st. He plays top pairing on this team because we have nothing better.On any other team he is a 2nd pairing who is injury riddled.
If we get a 1st for him great,,all im saying is,,dont hold your breath.I dont think we will.

The Leafs reportedly made the same/similar offer the Flames did for Harmonic. Tanev will and should get you a first. He should certainly not be traded for the equivalent of a 2nd and a 3rd.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Umm by the numbers he is one of the best top pairing shut down dmen in this league.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Some Tanev news:

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 6m6 minutes ago
Just talked with Chris Tanev on SN 650 and he says he and the #Canucks have talked about multiple ways for him to prevent injuries in the future.

Tanev: "We have talked with the #Canucks about multiple angles on prveneting injuries. We got a plan this summer, there are certain areas we can beef up and get more protection especially with shot blocking."

Tanev: "I will be working with the trainers for more protection and to make it safer for me on the ice. We are looking at different scenarios, testing things out."

Tanev on trade rumours: "I am happy in Vancouver, love the city and the guys. Rumours are out of my control."

Tanev on trade rumours to Toronto: "My friends don't talk about it but you hear it once in a while and it's just part of the game."

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If you can't get a first, you don't trade him. End of story.

It's absolutely bizarre when people treat it like this player's contract runs out in November or something and WE HAVE TO TRADE HIM NOW.

Pretty much. I'd be plenty happy to just keep the guy, and have a terrific mentor, plus partner and/or sheltering element available to break in what will hopefully be the next wave of Canucks defencemen over the next handful of years.

If an offer comes along that blows my socks off, sure...pull the trigger. But there's absolutely no need to take a lowball offer for the guy just because he takes a beating and can't stay completely healthy. He's not going to turn into a pumpkin at midnight.

I think Toronto (the primary subject of these trade "discussions") should serve as a pretty clear example of what happens when you build around some young, quicker developing forwards...without the right quality defencemen behind them. You end up in the semi-desperate state the Leafs are in right now that is driving their interest in a piece like Tanev in the first place. You end up playing the 5000 year old fossilized skeleton of a Ron Hainsey on your top pair, and wringing your hands over how frustrating it is that defencemen out of the draft develop so slowly and take so long to make an NHL impact. Wasting away some of your prime contending window while you have young offensive stars on ELCs and affordable deals. Even if it takes the Canucks several more years to really start turning things around...do you not still want a slightly older Tanev, over a Ron Hainsey/Matt Hunwick type bandaid?

If the return isn't the right quality, you can very much just keep the guy and be plenty content to just have a great defensive presence for 50-60 games a year or whatever. Just as it was still very much worth having Sami "glass cannon" Salo around well into his twilight years, and even when we knew he'd miss time every year.

Reactions: Ryan Miller*

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
If you can't get a first, you don't trade him. End of story.

It's absolutely bizarre when people treat it like this player's contract runs out in November or something and WE HAVE TO TRADE HIM NOW.
trade value is narrative driven, if tanev plays 82 games next year and anchors the canucks blue line his value is immensely higher than it is now.

why on earth is this fan base so keen on trading tanev while his value is at his lowest, a 2014/2015 season from Tanev and he’s worth an elite prospect.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
trade value is narrative driven, if tanev plays 82 games next year and anchors the canucks blue line his value is immensely higher than it is now.

why on earth is this fan base so keen on trading tanev while his value is at his lowest, a 2014/2015 season from Tanev and he’s worth an elite prospect.

Because his value is trending down, not up.
He isn't getting any younger, and seems to be missing more and more games each year.

It's not rocket science or insanity to want to cash in on him before its too late.
Can be argued its not the best move but no need to treat it as if it is something completely crazy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Is "trade value" really that narrative driven though? It can certainly influence things. But that seems a bit like attributing fan susceptibility to "narratives", to NHL GMs who consistently do things that leave fans scratching their heads because it runs counter to whatever the prevailing "narrative" happens to be.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Because his value is trending down, not up.
He isn't getting any younger, and seems to be missing more and more games each year.

It's not rocket science or insanity to want to cash in on him before its too late.
Can be argued its not the best move but no need to treat it as if it is something completely crazy.

It's not cashing in to trade him for scraps. That's the opposite of cashing in.

Even if his value is "trending down" I still take a 30% chance at a good return later over a crap return now. Are you that risk averse that you will accept some garbage now just because it's technically better than nothing and you might not do better later?

If I offered you a guaranteed dollar vs. a 30% chance at 50 dollars which do you take? Roll the dice, man. A dollar isn't going to help anything.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It's not cashing in to trade him for scraps. That's the opposite of cashing in.

Even if his value is "trending down" I still take a 30% chance at a good return later over a crap return now. Are you that risk averse that you will accept some garbage now just because it's technically better than nothing and you might not do better later?

If I offered you a guaranteed dollar vs. a 30% chance at 50 dollars which do you take? Roll the dice, man. A dollar isn't going to help anything.

Your thought experiment is way off the charts on value.
If you offer me 20 with 30% chance of 50% I will take 20 every time.

Best way to mess up a rebuild = bleed assets.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Don't have much confidence in a trade of Tanev given Bennings track record... But obviously would love a large assortment of draft picks for Tanev. Don't think it needs to be Toronto though.... Edmonton, Islanders... should be lots of options

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I think I have taken my full dose of Tanev to Toronto rumours lol. I can't take anymore. Leaf fans as of today have been offering more in packages for him but it still feels insufficient.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kyle Dubas, the analytics guru, is now in charge of the Leafs......the Tanev trade has to be back on the table.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Canuck fans are hilarious. There is a big group of people here that treat Tanev like gold. He is simply not, he is a great defender who throws his body on the line on a terrible team, and gets oft injured because of it. He adds no offence or mojo to the team whatsoever. This guy would be a huge 4d on a championship team but he's pretty much useless to us.

Trade him for whatever we can. He's doing nothing for us now or in the future.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Canuck fans are hilarious. There is a big group of people here that treat Tanev like gold. He is simply not, he is a great defender who throws his body on the line on a terrible team, and gets oft injured because of it. He adds no offence or mojo to the team whatsoever. This guy would be a huge 4d on a championship team but he's pretty much useless to us.

Trade him for whatever we can. He's dong nothing for us now or in the future.

Tanev is an asset who isn't likely to lose much value over the next year. If the price isn't good at the draft, it's unlikely to get worse at the deadline. And if he's not healthy at the deadline, his value isn't likely to get worse the following year.

More importantly, this is a Tanev to Toronto thread. The Leafs aren't a championship team. The question is whether Tanev can help them turn into one over the next 2 years or beyond. He showed chemistry with Reilly at the Worlds. While that doesn't guarantee anything (e.g. Sedins and Eriksson), Tanev will instantly become the Leafs best RH RD Dman. If he's not playing with Reilly, he can match up with Gardiner. Does it really matter whether he plays on the first or second pairing for the Leafs come playoff time?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Every year defensemen much worse and less proven than Tanev get traded for multiple picks including a first. The reality is that number two type defensemen don't come on the market often and they fetch a high price. You just need to look at prior trades to know that Tanevs value is high. It's supply and demand.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I love Tanev, he’s a great guy to have here but for the betterment of the Canucks future he really should be moved, we need the assets. If we can make a move that lands us a pick which we can draft Ty Smith with and a guy like Dobson with our pick that could fast track our blue line rebuild.

Reactions: MarkMM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad