Proposal: Tanev to NYI for 2nd +3rd

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Instead of offering Tanev to a fan base and organization(NYI), that shows zero interest in him,why not start a Tanev mega thread where fans of ANY team can make offers?

Indeed. Better to sticky a thread rather than clutter constant Tanev threads over and over again, Ad nauseam.

To be honest, I don't want him traded. Losing him would destroy our defence. He's already our best player. I can speak for good amount of Canucks fans who feel the same way.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Tanev is great but Isles depth is actually D but not their forward group, especailly considering there is a possiblity they may lose Tavares, Bailey and Nelson and Eberly is also on a short contract. They need to keep Barzal badly unless they can land another top forward prospect or young player in the trade. They had not much success in the UFA market to sign elite goal scorers or play makers unless they are way past their prime. Barzal will have way more value to the Isles and they need to keep Beau and Ho Sang as well for at least another year before decide to keep or trade. Besides Barzal and JHS are the most exciting young forwards on the Isles roster and it is a treat just watching them play almost each game.

I do have one D on my mind which will cost way less in return - Dunn from St. Louis who I believe have a lot upside and with good coaching will develop into a solid two way D and he is cheap on an entry contact and a great skater. He would be the one I will be eyeing as I do not think McVoy or Chabot will be available in a trade.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
How do you think he will be cheaper. You are correct he is on an ELC He lit up AHL with 13 goals and 35 assists in 72 games as a rookie. He is 20 years old and playing extremely well on the 2nd pairing with Colt and getting 2nd line pp time. He has 2 goals in 9 games as an NHL rookie and is looking better every game. He is the Future on the LHD side. The blues will not part with him or Jake Wallman. You might be able to pry Gunnerson or Jaybo next year. Vince Dunn has top 2 potential and is OLHD. Were talking a huge over payment to get him and thats if Blues decide to trade. Just isnt going to happen.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Didn't bother to read the 11 pages of this thread but I would hope it's filled with posters balking at how horrible of a trade offer that is for a top-pairing defensemen. Tanev is one of the very best defensive defensemen in the NHL and you're going to nab him for a 2nd?

Yeah, no.

goblix

May 11, 2013
Straight picks for players is not Benning style and I also think isles is pretty decent at defense... But anyways the trades that Benning would listen too are:
Jost+
Barzal+
Liljegren+
Where the + is something small
Stuff like that

Feb 24, 2017
Instead of offering Tanev to a fan base and organization(NYI), that shows zero interest in him,why not start a Tanev mega thread where fans of ANY team can make offers?
That’s a good idea.

Another good idea- why don’t you leave this thread alone? I am sure you know that nobody here is an actual nhl gm with decision making powers. So you don’t need to be such a vigilant keyboard warrior.

Only words happen here, kiddo, not real NHL trades.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That’s a good idea.

Another good idea- why don’t you leave this thread alone? I am sure you know that nobody here is an actual nhl gm with decision making powers. So you don’t need to be such a vigilant keyboard warrior.

Only words happen here, kiddo, not real NHL trades.

Does my pointing out that no team is giving up a blue chip prospect or multiple 1st for Tanev somehow effect his trade value?
Does my pointing out that just months ago the isles traded their top shutdown D because they have a bunch of quality, blue line prospects pushing for nhl jobs, somehow ruin the fantasy of the nyi giving up one of the league' s best bluechippers or multiple 1sts?

Didn't you just inform me that none of us are actual nhl GMs?
Here is a thought, instead of getting bent because other fanbases do not put the same value on Tanev, post links from credible sources showing what other teams have pursued a Tanev trade, what they have dangled.

Much more impressive then getting pissy because fantasy proposals are
brushed off

Last edited:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I do not think david999 is an Isle fan.

And I have to point out the thread starter was not an isles fan.

Whether he is or isn't, is not the point.

My post is basically getting the user to understand what the opposition would feel if a counter argument was made in equal aspects.

Feb 24, 2017
Does my pointing out that no team is giving up a blue chip prospect or multiple 1st for Tanev somehow effect his trade value?
Does my pointing out that just months ago the isles traded their top shutdown D because they have a bunch of quality, blue line prospects pushing for nhl jobs, somehow ruin the fantasy of the nyi giving up one of the league' s best bluechippers or multiple 1sts?

Didn't you just inform me that none of us are actual nhl GMs?
Here is a thought, instead of getting bent because other fanbases do not put the same value on Tanev, post links from credible sources showing what other teams have pursued a Tanev trade, what they have dangled.

Much more impressive then getting pissy because fantasy proposals are
brushed off
Who is getting pissy? Looks like you. I just think you may live a happier and healthier life not getting so emotionally invested in these make believe armchair gm fests, bucko.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Tanev and Hamonic are extraordinary close in value considering their ages, positions, and skill sets. You could not find a more direct comparison to point to, in the same way when a young defenseman signs his RFA contract, agents across the league use it as a reference point for their own negotiations. My guy is just as good as him, we want similar AAV, etc.

But instead of accepting that Hamonic and Tanev are pretty darn comparable, they insist Tanev is far better and will certainly return a top young prospect like Barzal, and maybe a pick on top of that. Not because the stats favor Tanev, in fact nearly every statistical category supports Hamonic, but because Canuck fans say he's far better.

? well right now that Hamonic trade is Hamonic and a mid 4th rounder for a top 10 pick in 2018 (best draft in since 2003 on paper) + 39th overall + a 2nd in 2019 or 20...

So...? I'd rather the Canucks get a top 10 pick in this draft than Barzal.... mainly as the Canucks need D-prospects coming in if they are moving Tanev out.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Who is getting pissy? Looks like you. I just think you may live a happier and healthier life not getting so emotionally invested in these make believe armchair gm fests, bucko.
Pointing out why the isles would not give up a top bluechipper for Tanev or multiple 1st for Tanev does make me emotionally invested. It does make me somewhat amused at the fantasy suggestions tossed out.
Thanks though for the concern.
And what's with the passive aggressive nicknames? You wouldn't be getting emotionally invested?

Feb 24, 2017
I dunno. I guess I’m just given to passive aggressive nicknames. I do love your Isles though. Became a fan, for whatever reason, because of Rick DiPietro. Such a shame he had all those injuries. He really was something when healthy.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Became a fan, for whatever reason, because of Rick DiPietro. Such a shame he had all those injuries. He really was something when healthy.

He reminded me of Billy Smith, ton of fire and seemed to be the kind of goalie you could go to war with. Shame it didn't work out but he's definitely found his niche as a commentator and analyst. He's giving Don Cherry a run for the money with his suits

5Ugy10U.jpg

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
? well right now that Hamonic trade is Hamonic and a mid 4th rounder for a top 10 pick in 2018 (best draft in since 2003 on paper) + 39th overall + a 2nd in 2019 or 20...

So...? I'd rather the Canucks get a top 10 pick in this draft than Barzal.... mainly as the Canucks need D-prospects coming in if they are moving Tanev out.

You're playing the hindsight game. Hamonic was not traded for a top 10 pick, he was traded for the Calgary 2018 1st, which could fall anywhere from 1st overall- 31st overall.

There's a wide spectrum of results when you take the chances on a future draft pick - sometimes the team falters and you get Seguin & Hamilton, sure. But then there was the Vanek trade, in which Buffalo fans took it upon themselves to taunt the Islanders, saying we sucked so badly, we were guaranteed to give them Connor McDavid in the 2015 draft. Taunt after taunt after taunt of thanking us for being terrible and how we'd set our entire franchise back. We ended up giving them 21st overall (Colin White) and leaving that draft with Barzal & Beauvillier.

With only 11 games played in the season, I'm not quite ready to declare the Calgary pick as a guaranteed top-1o. It's still just a lottery ticket, nothing more.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Straight picks for players is not Benning style and I also think isles is pretty decent at defense... But anyways the trades that Benning would listen too are:
Jost+
Barzal+
Liljegren+
Where the + is something small
Stuff like that

And have any of these teams shown even the slightest trace of interest in moving these young blue chip prospects for Tanev?

Colorado is rebuilding and Jost is a key piece.
Every Islanders fan has told you no Barzal but you want Barzal+.
I can't even imagine how poorly Leaf fans would react to Liljegren+.

It's the same as me going "Snow would listen to a trade of Ladd for Tanev". I've completely ignored the consensus opinion of the other teams (in this case Canuck fans) to solely focus on what will benefit my team, the Islanders. Trades only work like that when you buy NHL 18 and enable the option that allows you to trade your 7th rounder for McDavid.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
And have any of these teams shown even the slightest trace of interest in moving these young blue chip prospects for Tanev?

Colorado is rebuilding and Jost is a key piece.
Every Islanders fan has told you no Barzal but you want Barzal+.
I can't even imagine how poorly Leaf fans would react to Liljegren+.

It's the same as me going "Snow would listen to a trade of Ladd for Tanev". I've completely ignored the consensus opinion of the other teams (in this case Canuck fans) to solely focus on what will benefit my team, the Islanders. Trades only work like that when you buy NHL 18 and enable the option that allows you to trade your 7th rounder for McDavid.
Except your example is terrible. Tanev for the mentioned players is a whole different story than Tanev for Ladd. That's not only awful In terms of team needs, but awful value wise by a **** ton.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I dunno. I guess I’m just given to passive aggressive nicknames. I do love your Isles though. Became a fan, for whatever reason, because of Rick DiPietro. Such a shame he had all those injuries. He really was something when healthy.

Oilers are reportedly pushing hard to add speed and skill to their roster.
There is a suggestion by Simmons in the Toronto Sun that Chia call Snow, about 21 yr old JHS,who has looked good on his 27/28 nhl games,but shows some warts. He needs to stop overplaying the puck and taking extra long shifts.

I could understand a long thread debating a JHS to Edmonton trade based on Chia and Snow' s trade history, but this long Tanev to Brooklyn thread is a head scratcher because there is a report from the credible Staple that the isles are not looking to make a trade and as far as I can recall have never been linked to Tanev in any credible trade rumor.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Except your example is terrible. Tanev for the mentioned players is a whole different story than Tanev for Ladd. That's not only awful In terms of team needs, but awful value wise by a **** ton.

The point is not about which deal has better value, it's that both deals originate from the same faulty "I've decided another team wants my player and this is what they're willing to pay for it" place while paying absolutely zero attention to what the other fanbase has said.

Barzal+ for Tanev, Tanev for Ladd, conditional 7th for McDavid. None of them make sense because all of them fail to address the needs of both teams in the transaction.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
You're playing the hindsight game. Hamonic was not traded for a top 10 pick, he was traded for the Calgary 2018 1st, which could fall anywhere from 1st overall- 31st overall.

There's a wide spectrum of results when you take the chances on a future draft pick - sometimes the team falters and you get Seguin & Hamilton, sure. But then there was the Vanek trade, in which Buffalo fans took it upon themselves to taunt the Islanders, saying we sucked so badly, we were guaranteed to give them Connor McDavid in the 2015 draft. Taunt after taunt after taunt of thanking us for being terrible and how we'd set our entire franchise back. We ended up giving them 21st overall (Colin White) and leaving that draft with Barzal & Beauvillier.

With only 11 games played in the season, I'm not quite ready to declare the Calgary pick as a guaranteed top-1o. It's still just a lottery ticket, nothing more.

It's not hindsight to look ahead and take 2018 picks (a better draft year) and what you are trying to do is grow an asset pool for the future while competing in the now.

My point is that most Nuck fans would lean towards taking a 1st and a 2nd in 2018 + a 2nd in 2019 for Tanev, even with the current winning record and Tanev being the best player on the team... simply because of the strength of those drafts coming and the fact those young players will better line up with the current youth movement coming.

I can't speak to the exact situation for Hamonic but it's my understanding he was pushing for a trade back to Western Canada anyways and Calgary finally just paid a decent price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad