Rumor: Tampa wouldn't be crushed if Stamkos left

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Same crap we heard about Malkin here in Pittsburgh. Just typical negotiations. Teams don’t want to overpay old guys for what they used to be and old guys want to get the most they can on their last deal.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I said IF what was said was true then it sounds like Tampa may not want him, because that's how it does sound.
Logically, how does Friedman's report make it seem like Tampa "wants to throw Stamkos out"?

Let's be rational here - there's a cap and a lot of guys to fit under the cap already under contract. Yes, there is probably some number at which Tampa would have to walk away because they won't be able to make the math work. The Lightning have configured their roster with younger guys under team control to try and give themselves a path to success when and if older guys like Stamkos can no longer be retained. So sure - they are gong to feel they've futureproofed enough not to be "crushed" if they simply don't have the cap space to make everything work with Stamkos.

There's still a huge leap from that rational thought process to "Tampa is throwing him out" or "Tampa doesn't want him anymore".

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
I mean, if they're not going to resign him, trade him for what you can get. But I understand why they might not be interested, he's gonna ask for some big money and the NHL has that hard cap.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
FFS how many Stamkos to the Leafs threads will we have.

In all seriousness I don’t see Stamkos leaving Tampa

I don't think anybody truly does.

I mean, if they're not going to resign him, trade him for what you can get. But I understand why they might not be interested, he's gonna ask for some big money and the NHL has that hard cap.

They won't trade him while they still see themselves as a contender.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Let me ask you based on his comments at training camp do you guys think it could actually happen?

Absolutely not. Stamkos said "I want to stick around" and the Lightning didn't act on it. Brisebois clarified that he's trying to let things shake out so he can make the best possible deal for player and team. Considering he's lost Palat and Killorn, I really think he's trying a different approach to make sure the same thing doesn't happen with Stamkos. If Stamkos is still taking it personally, he ought to remember he kept everyone on the hook for a year before taking his 8 year extension.

There's no way he's leaving. This guy is going to retire with (hopefully at least 1 more ring) his name in the rafters and one day there will be statue of him taking a one-timer outside of the arena.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I've said it many times that Tampa could find better use of Stamkos' 8.5 mil cap space, given his actual on ice value in the playoffs. If he's not willing to take a team friendly deal, you can easily argue that they should let him go. Again, speaking purely from the perspective of the on ice product he offers.

Whether Tampa should let Stamkos go when taking into consideration all he's done for the whole franchise, how much he means to the fan base and the city of Tampa is a whole another discussion. I'm hoping Tampa keeps him, even if it means icing a slightly worse team (on paper anyway, the almighty intangibles are also worth taking into consideration).

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
IF, IIIIFFFFFFF this is true, this is a great way to piss off your players and your fan base destroying the relationship between you and arguably the greatest, at least the most beloved, player in franchise history.

I choose to believe Brisbois is not this stupid and it's all just negotiation tactics.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm curious how much Stammer is demanding and for how many years... then I can make my decision if i feel it's a good/bad decision to let him walk

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
"Wouldn't be crushed" doesn't equal "Throwing him out".

I agree Tampa wouldn't be crushed without Stamkos, but twisting some weird narratives from that is weird.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It makes sense, he's 34. I think Tampas window is closed, they won 2 cups and made 4 trips to the finals, every fan base (except Pitts/Chi) should be jealous lol

Sooner they move on to the future the sooner they'll be contending again. I'll probably get a lot of hate for it, but I think it would be the best time to blow it up because the stars still have tremendous value. Any contending team would pay a premium for Kuch/Hedman/Vasi. Rebuild around Point/Cirelli/Cernak/Sergachev plus whatever haul you got for those guys.

IMO you can get an elite prospect + 1st for Kucherov, if not more. Probably the same for Hedman/Vasi, they wouldn't be competitive for 2 ish years, but probably back to being a juggernaut after that.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr John Carlson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad