Seravalli: Tampa interested in Klingberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Kucherov from TB for 2 years was on the LTIR. TB gets more players goes over the cap, he comes back for the playoffs and now they are fielding a team with a salary cap of over 90M. How is that right? Some of these players shouldn't be allowed to play. All teams at the start of the playoffs should all be fielding a roster within the current salary cap of 82.5M it's simple

Sorry I stand corrected on the 1st. Regardless, it's BS

See below from Capfriendly regarding your TB team. The salary cap

Kucherov from TB for 2 years was on the LTIR. TB gets more players goes over the cap, he comes back for the playoffs and now they are fielding a team with a salary cap of over 90M. How is that right? Some of these players shouldn't be allowed to play. All teams at the start of the playoffs should all be fielding a roster within the current salary cap of 82.5M it's simple

See below from Capfriendly regarding your TB team. The salary cap is 82.5M not 88M

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
Tooltip
: $0​

CURRENT CAP SPACE
Tooltip
: $1,269,967
TODAY'S CAP HIT
Tooltip
: $88,105,000
The other thing is nhl shouldn't allow teams trade dead contracts on players that retired amd send it to a team to reach the ceiling all these loopholes be avoided. Like Datsyuk going to Arizona same with pronged just that made it anyone can use a dead contract before season begins.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I dunno. I mean sure he’s been on a bottom-feeder of a team, but he’s looked abysmal at times this season.

Very possible he’d turn it around on a solid team, but I’d steer clear.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida

See below from Capfriendly regarding your TB team. The salary cap is 82.5M not 88M

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
Tooltip

CURRENT CAP SPACE
Tooltip
TODAY'S CAP HIT
Tooltip
The Lightning are responsible for Brent Seabrook's contract, which is $6.785M. Brent Seabrook is on LTIR, which allows the Lightning to spend the amount of his contract over the cap. His contract does not come out of the cap hit.

Without Brent Seabrook, the Lightning are icing.... The exact same team. He provides no benefit whatsoever, since his contract is included in the cap hit and allows the Lightning to spend that amount over the cap. Unless Brent Seabrook returns in the playoffs from whatever beach he is sipping a pina colada on, the Lightning are not benefiting from LTIR, they're just paying more salary than other teams.

Other teams are certainly using LTIR to roster build. The Lightning, currently, are not.

2 years? I think you are misremembering things.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The solution is, if come playoff time, all teams fielding a roster must be within the salary cap of 82M. Not that the cap means shit during the playoffs and your roster is at 90-95M. That means certain players would not be eligible

That seems overly simplistic and I don't think you have totally thought it through. How do you deal with teams banking space and the trade deadline? Cap hits are calculated daily, not annually. You solution seems to state that teams acquiring people at the trade deadline without even making use of LTIR would not be compliant come the playoffs.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The other thing is nhl shouldn't allow teams trade dead contracts on players that retired amd send it to a team to reach the ceiling all these loopholes be avoided. Like Datsyuk going to Arizona same with pronged just that made it anyone can use a dead contract before season begins.

Coyotes "players" on LTIR:

Voracek, Weber, Ladd, Little, Brown

Coyotes "players" salaries being retained

Kane, Bjugstad, OEL

That's over $30 mil on players who aren't expected to suit up for Arizona any time soon.

Talk about putting together a competitive team, eh? :laugh:

Reactions: gn2007

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
Tooltip

CURRENT CAP SPACE
Tooltip
TODAY'S CAP HIT
Tooltip
This is one the problems.

Do you want to penalize teams where a player is hurt long-term by not allowing them an even playing field against other teams to replace said hurt player?

This is why almost all the teams voted against LTIR benefits. In the long run, it hurts the team more than it hurts the league. Teams will look at what benefits them first over the league primarily. I understand that it being fair for one now makes it unfair for others. Complete catch-22, so you pick the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils becomes, teams who are lower on the rankings that aren't trying to make the playoffs can accumulate assets to improve further down the line from a team who has LTIR space trying to make the playoffs.

LTIR Doesn't Magically create more cap space

This is the huge misunderstood factor amongst fans. LTIR doesn't create cap space. The issue becomes playoffs where there is no cap. Teams gamble players coming back from LTIR will be just as good or game ready for the playoffs. Obviously some players are superstars and are fine coming back right away. Some not so much.

Solutions?

I have thought of one over the years.

Limit the amount of LTIR allotted to every team in the league. For example, a team can only use 10% of the cap for LTIR in any given year. Anything over 10% doesn't give any in season relief. You can still move a player to LTIR for insurance purposes, but will receive no relief.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Hasn't Klingerberg been incredibly brutal for the Ducks this season?

He's always been bad defensively, but the Ducks were the worst place he could have went. His strengths are minimized on a team that has so little possession time, and there's next to zero defensive insulation to help mask his weaknesses.

Lately he's been better, 9 points in his last 9 games and managing to be an even player on this trainwreck of a team. If you put him on a second or third pairing with a steady "defense first" partner, he can still be a very useful player.

Assuming he doesn't suit up for the Ducks again, this will be his last point in their uniform. Still very capable in certain areas, as you can see.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This LTIR is total Bullshit. At the end of this deadline you are going to have teams such as Boston, TB, Rangers and others like 10M over the cap if not more.
Except the Rangers dont even have a single player on the IR? Let alone the LTIR? Lets do a little research before posting.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I agree, it's not just TB.....But I will say TB was the first to figure out how to use this bullshit LTIR to their advantage. Now teams are all doin it. It's just not fair to be honest. I don't think the league put this in play for teams to "cheat" the salary cap this way.

Actually it was Chicago but good to know you've only been paying attention the last 2 years.

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
Tooltip

CURRENT CAP SPACE
Tooltip
TODAY'S CAP HIT
Tooltip

Damn 2 years? I lied you can't even pay attention, show me where Kucherov missed 2 seasons

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Coyotes "players" on LTIR:

Voracek, Weber, Ladd, Little, Brown

Coyotes "players" salaries being retained

Kane, Bjugstad, OEL

That's over $30 mil on players who aren't expected to suit up for Arizona any time soon.

Talk about putting together a competitive team, eh? :laugh:
Of the $67.2M cap hit the Arizona Coyotes now have on the roster, 57.6% of that is allocated to pseudo-retirements, cap retention via trade, and contract dumps. To repeat, that is 57.6%.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I agree, it's not just TB.....But I will say TB was the first to figure out how to use this bullshit LTIR to their advantage. Now teams are all doin it. It's just not fair to be honest. I don't think the league put this in play for teams to "cheat" the salary cap this way.
If all teams are doing it... how is it not fair? :/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
Tooltip

CURRENT CAP SPACE
Tooltip
TODAY'S CAP HIT
Tooltip
So teams with long term injuries to key players should just be screwed?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's absolutely horrible.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
If he goes to Chicago it better not be because our new GM wanted him instead of Dach and he's trying to correct a past mistake.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
This LTIR is total Bullshit. At the end of this deadline you are going to have teams such as Boston, TB, Rangers and others like 10M over the cap if not more.
Name me the LTIR player from the rangers. Oh yeah..
Check the facts first boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad