Tampa Bay Lightning first Presidents Trophy winners to be swept in first round

Biggest Choke Job In NHL History

• Total voters

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
How many times has a President's Trophy champion just straight up lost in the 1st round?

Hockey can be random.

Not very often.

The President’s Trophy was awarded starting 33 years ago. Since then, 7 times a winner has lost in the first round (including this year). 8 times a winner has won the Cup. In other words, you’re more likely to win the Cup than lose in the first round.

Never, before this year, has a President’s Trophy winner been swept in the first round.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
So what? They literally threw more hits. They played more physical. They didn’t lose because of physicality. That’s a bad narrative.
Do you, or does your little sister hit harder? Are you bigger than your sister? Do you think you have a better reach and are able the use your strength to win a puck battle against your little sister? I'm not saying Tampa is like a bunch of little girls, I'm just trying to get through to you about size and strength advantage when teams are going all out in the playoffs.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
So what? They literally threw more hits. They played more physical. They didn’t lose because of physicality. That’s a bad narrative.

You have more opportunities to hit if you're chasing the play and trying to separate the opponent from the puck. It's not really an indication of anything.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
They were chasing the wins record.

I had a feeling in March that their relentless pursuit of the wins record was going to leave the tank empty come Playoffs, and give opponents way too much motivation to beat them.
Isn't the Stanley Cup motivation enough to try to beat any team in the playoffs, that includes Tampa :skeptic:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Disagree. Getting swept in the finals is like crashing and burning on the descent after a long flight. They had everything right until they didn’t.

These guys didn’t even leave the terminal. They just spontaneously combusted, leaving nothing but ash and broken dreams.
I like to think Columbus deserves quite a bit of credit for the spontaneous terminal combustion :laugh:

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Not even close. That "honor" would go to the 1981-82 Edmonton Oilers. I think they finished about 48 points ahead of the LA Kings, and were defeated in a best of 5 series.

Including a five goal comeback in the 3rd period in one of the games too.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

Agreed.

If anything, I would argue that the Lightning tried to be too physical which forced them out of their game completely. That was never their game

Its like they were trying so hard to show everyone "we're not soft"...but left the 62 to win type of play style back in the regular season.

Reactions: TBLightningFan

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1