Tampa Bay Lightning first Presidents Trophy winners to be swept in first round

Biggest Choke Job In NHL History

• Total voters

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
That does seem a little absurd. I mean, going undefeated for 16 games in a row is difficult, to say the least...

:sarcasm:

(No, of course it's not going to happen. :laugh: But seriously, considering that that particular streak started against Tampa Bay, it fit too well to not make the reference.)

Ride the high, it's worth the lows any day.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Devastating for the franchise. Probably their steongest roster to be had for a while but they can always win in another year soon when they put it all together. Good enough core to keep going for a while

Reactions: MacBradley

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
You really can't even consider the regular season any where near the same game as the playoffs. Tampa is a PERFECTLY designed regular season team with very small, fast and skilled forwards that have great success when physical play is not cranked way up in the regular season. They are also unknowingly set up to fail against much bigger and stronger teams that now give their all physically in the playoffs.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Maybe the bolts shoulda focused on preparing for the playoffs instead of feeding Kucherov points?

Luckily your team is nowhere near that situation...

About Tampa, anything but full focus in professional sports playoffs is a recipe for disaster.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You really can't even consider the regular season any where near the same game as the playoffs. Tampa is a PERFECTLY designed regular season team with very small, fast and skilled forwards that have great success when physical play is not cranked way up in the regular season. They are also unknowingly set up to fail against much bigger and stronger teams that now give their all physically in the playoffs.

Not really true.

They aren't smaller than many teams.

Their D consists of:
Hedman - 6'6, 225pds
McDonagh - 6'1 , 215pds
Sergachev - 6'3 , 215pds
Coburn - 6,5 , 225pds
Stralman - 5'11, 195pds (only small D who didn't even play this post season)
Cernak - 6'4, 225pds
Girardi - 6'2, 212pds

That's one of the biggest and strongest D in the NHL.

Plus out if their forwards, only Point and Johnson would be considered small players who avoid contact.

Add in that they made game 7 of the ECF last season and the whole "aren't built for the playoffs" excuse doesn't fly with this team.

To me it looked like an overconfident team who thought they would cost past the Jackets and didn't have the leadership to overcome adversity and get them to get their head out of their ass.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I don't disagree with the generality of your post, HOWEVER they've lost to the SC Champs 3/4 years before this one losing two game 7's and a game 6.

This year is different. There's something much worse going on...

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Not really true.

They aren't smaller than many teams.

Their D consists of:
Hedman - 6'6, 225pds
McDonagh - 6'1 , 215pds
Sergachev - 6'3 , 215pds
Coburn - 6,5 , 225pds
Stralman - 5'11, 195pds (only small D who didn't even play this post season)
Cernak - 6'4, 225pds
Girardi - 6'2, 212pds

That's one of the biggest and strongest D in the NHL.

Plus out if their forwards, only Point and Johnson would be considered small players who avoid contact.

Add in that they made game 7 of the ECF last season and the whole "aren't built for the playoffs" excuse doesn't fly with this team.

To me it looked like an overconfident team who thought they would cost past the Jackets and didn't have the leadership to overcome adversity and get them to get their head out of their ass.
They're one of the smallest, if not the smallest in the league and I clearly said forwards.
They are definitely thee dominant regular season team recently, but bigger and stronger keeps prevailing on a more physical playoff stage.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They're one of the smallest, if not the smallest in the league and I clearly said forwards.
They are definitely thee dominant regular season team recently, but bigger and stronger keeps prevailing on a more physical playoff stage.

So how come they've been one of the more successful teams in the playoffs until this post season with the same core?

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Honestly most people who claim that a team choked don't actually watch the games. Sometimes the team that "choked" were the teams that dominated the other team but the goalie on the other end was a brick wall and they couldn't pull out a deserved win. However, in every game that series Tampa wasn't even close to being good enough to win. They got manhandled. This is a true choke, sad to say. I feel for the Tampa fans. That's gotta suck.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
So how come they've been one of the more successful teams in the playoffs until this post season with the same core?
Did you watch the series against Washington last year? I think it was game five that they came in with a game plan of hit everything in sight and then you could feel that Tampa was done in the series. There was too much size and strength for the Tampa forwards to deal with.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Did you watch the series against Washington last year? I think it was game five that they came in with a game plan of hit everything in sight and then you could feel that Tampa was done in the series. There was too much size and strength for the Tampa forwards to deal with.

Tampa won game 5 so I dunno about that.

Reactions: Sentinel

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
That was a bad one..

I would say Boston blowing a 3-0 lead against Philly was the biggest I have seen. However, they won the cup the very next year I believe lol

Everyone talks about the leafs team blowing that game 7. That leafs team had no business being in a game 7 with Boston.

Reactions: DanM

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Redirect Notice

I wasn't sure what game it was, but knew they were done in the series as soon as Washington got physical with the much smaller Tampa team.

So if it's as easy as just playing physical against them, then how come they won 62 games? How come they were able to make the finals in 2015 and game 7 of the ECF in 2018? Why did the Caps not do this until game 6?

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
If Blues, Avs, or Stars win the cup they will have won less games all year than Tampa.

As a Lightning fan that is funny and depressing.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
So if it's as easy as just playing physical against them, then how come they won 62 games? How come they were able to make the finals in 2015 and game 7 of the ECF in 2018? Why did the Caps not do this until game 6?

You'll have to ask the Caps why they changed their game plan to using their size advantage. I sure know Tampa seemed feeble after they did.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Tampa outhit Columbus in every game of this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad