• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Many people didn’t want Laviolette because historically he tanks his teams offense. NYR already were an above average defensive team last year and were bottom 10 offensively. Many were hoping for an offensive/transition oriented coach given that they scored a combined 2 goals in their 4 losses against NJD and got blanked twice.

So far it’s gone pretty much as expected. 5v5 offense is nonexistent for 3/4 lines and NYR are sitting bottom 3 overall in offensive generation with a marginal increase defensively. Power play still amazing, goalies amazing, finishing above average. It’s still early but last years deficiency is still a huge question mark.

They've actually hopped up a bit.

7th from the bottom now! CLIMBING THAT LADDER BABY!

I'd say that the team defense has actually taken a pretty big step forward. Their overall numbers include too many minutes from the shit 4th line that they were running out there for most of the season. The D numbers for the top 9 are very good and the current iteration of the 4th line has been pretty good (I don't trust it long term, but it's wayyyyyyyy better than what they were running before.)

That's an area of focus for the FO. If the 4th line isn't going to generate any offense, make it so that they aren't letting the other team generate anything either. A 5v5 stalemate would be more than acceptable.

Line 1 has been the culprit for this team 5v5. If they can get going the offense should be strong enough as long as the defense holds.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I wouldnt say a majority didnt want him. Id say a vocal portion hated the hire solely because he was a "retread", and thats a dirty word on HF. Turns out hes just a really good coach for a long time, which is what plenty of us were saying.
I was against re-cycled coaches for a long time. I was wrong. I’ve re-thought that. All coaches have a shelf life and the good ones always get another shot.
Also wasn’t keen on Lavi at first. I was wrong there too. Though I did get on board pretty quick.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I was against re-cycled coaches for a long time. I was wrong. I’ve re-thought that. All coaches have a shelf life and the good ones always get another shot.
Also wasn’t keen on Lavi at first. I was wrong there too. Though I did get on board pretty quick.
How can you be right or wrong about Laviolette after 13 games? There is plenty of time for this to get a lot better or a lot worse.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
How can you be right or wrong about Laviolette after 13 games? There is plenty of time for this to get a lot better or a lot worse.
He has a track record. These aren’t his first 13 games. I’m fine with giving him the benefit of the doubt here. Dude’s a good coach.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Weren’t his Philly teams always fast and aggressive offensively? Don’t know how well they scored but I don’t think Lavy had been a conservative coach, just didn’t always have a ton of top tier offensive talent to use

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Same here. Once I saw his staff I started rethinking then once I heard the reports out of camp I realized I was wrong. He is a good coach and the staff he picked is strong. He is also the perfect blend of using analytics and knowing there is a little something else to the game sometimes too. I was actually shocked at how much he references and knows about the advanced stats through each game.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Same here. Once I saw his staff I started rethinking then once I heard the reports out of camp I realized I was wrong. He is a good coach and the staff he picked is strong. He is also the perfect blend of using analytics and knowing there is a little something else to the game sometimes too. I was actually shocked at how much he references and knows about the advanced stats through each game.
Yes he cleared out his staff and brought in a new group of less crusty assistants which was exciting. Hopefully Muse has a lot of pull with regards to decision making.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Fans don’t like re-treads because they’re hoping the unknown assistant coach getting his first shot is the next Bill Belichick.
I think it’s a fair opinion to not want to hire somebody who just was fired twice in 3 years for being bad. The idea that you need to hire from the pool of experienced NHL coaches if you’re a contender is nonsense.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think it’s a fair opinion to not want to hire somebody who just was fired twice in 3 years for being bad. The idea that you need to hire from the pool of experienced NHL coaches if you’re a contender is nonsense.

If you coach long enough you're going to get fired. The fact that you're focusing on his negative rather than his overwhelming positive influence on teams is very telling.

Reactions: MrAlmost

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
1. The offense doesn’t seem as bad to us because it was worse to begin with, so there’s positive improvement!

2. I’m still concerned for playoffs when things tighten up and the refs swallow their whistles, the PP won’t be able to change the dirty 5v5 diaper

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
1. The offense doesn’t seem as bad to us because it was worse to begin with, so there’s positive improvement!

2. I’m still concerned for playoffs when things tighten up and the refs swallow their whistles, the PP won’t be able to change the dirty 5v5 diaper

I think this is overblown. I don't recall the last two years refs swallowing their whistles any more than the regular season. This is kinf of a cliche concern but I don't think it has a basis on reality, at least not anymore.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I think this is overblown. I don't recall the last two years refs swallowing their whistles any more than the regular season. This is kinf of a cliche concern but I don't think it has a basis on reality, at least not anymore.
Regardless if that could be the case the game does get tighter, less time and space to make plays so there’s still a concern for me if the PP dried up

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Regardless if that could be the case the game does get tighter, less time and space to make plays so there’s still a concern for me if the PP dried up

THe PP can dry up but so can 5 on 5. In fact I think 5 on 5 offense is more likely to dry up for any given team. PP by definition you have the advantage and it's harder to play tight.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Opportunity adds confidence, confidence leads to creativity and success...it's fairly easy to figure out if you ever had a pair of skates on.
Again you make it like Laf is the same player aside from being given a leash, makes all the blame fall on Gallant .Yea ok that’s definitely part of it, it’s clear as day though Laf put the work in the off season and is significantly quicker and more agile

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Fans don’t like re-treads because they’re hoping the unknown assistant coach getting his first shot is the next Bill Belichick.
NE wasn't his first job. He failed at Cleveland first

There are plenty of PP in the playoffs.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Over the last few years penalties actually increase in the first round from the regular season and then decline as the playoffs go on.

The 5v5 play was largely heinous for all 4 Gallant playoff series, especially the ‘22 ones. It’s hard to lose back to back playoff series with the performances they got from Igor yet they managed to do it. Statistically what they did to Igor last year was worse than any shit Henrik endured. 9 goals saved above expected and you lose the series, it’s almost impossible

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad