Value of: Talbot to NYI!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sounds like a whole lot of nothing.

But just to play along, what if this tied into us swooping in and grabbing Darling and Faulk right under Chicago's nose in a Lucic deal? Could we stomach that?

Reactions: 780il

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What was that discussion boards source? You said “ Lou is looking at Talbot and PC had him on the table”

How do you know that Lou is looking at Talbot?

Lou should be looking at everyone.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
No reason for oilers to not give talbot another chance without someone else coming in

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I'd do it if Buffalo doesn't qualify Lehner and he's signing with the Oilers.

But I'd also want a return NYI wouldn't want to give like 12 for Talbot and 40.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm pretty sure they're a terrible source. But man would that ever be an awful trade for the Oilers.
I don't buy it for a second that RNH or Skinner are involved. But weirder things have happened when it comes to goalies. If Chia can turn Talbot and Looch into something good, I'd probably be all for it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How can NYI fleece Edmonton this time?

Snow’s not running things, so his secret ‘blow up Chiarelli’s head with my powers’ trump card is gone with him.

Trading Talbot and putting everything in the hands of Koskinen and Montoya seems like a great way to fire the first shots of the great Jack Hughes Tank War with the Habs.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Snow’s not running things, so his secret ‘blow up Chiarelli’s head with my powers’ trump card is gone with him.

Trading Talbot and putting everything in the hands of Koskinen and Montoya seems like a great way to fire the first shots of the great Jack Hughes Tank War with the Habs.

I thought it's like pokemon.

Since Snow is still with the organization, we can throw him out whenever it's time to deal with Chia. When he's sufficiently ripped Chia off (it's super effective!), he's back in the pokeball. We have to pay him for something.

Reactions: PK Cronin

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I thought it's like pokemon.

Since Snow is still with the organization, we can throw him out whenever it's time to deal with Chia. When he's sufficiently ripped Chia off, he's back in the pokeball. We have to pay him for something.

I like to think Snow’s powers dissipated when he was removed from office - like everywhere outside the GM’s office is kyptonite to him.

But I seriously don’t understand this at all. We have young up and coming goalies but they’re two years away at minimum. Koskinen is completely unproven. Montoya blows. The UFA goalies are totally underwhelming and we have no cap space besides.

Unless you guys were offering up an idiotic overpayment that would make scrambling for adequate netminding worth it, then this makes no sense.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sounds like a whole lot of nothing.

But just to play along, what if this tied into us swooping in and grabbing Darling and Faulk right under Chicago's nose in a Lucic deal? Could we stomach that?

Not trying to pick on you, Belair, but a Koskinen/Darling/Montoya three headed monster is the stuff nightmares are made of.

There’d be less question marks at a Batman costume party where every guest dressed up as the Riddler.

Reactions: McWeber and dano16

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not trying to pick on you, Belair, but a Koskinen/Darling/Montoya three headed monster is the stuff nightmares are made of.

There’d be less question marks at a Batman costume party where every guest dressed up as the Riddler.
As I posted on our board, you have time to manage that situation. A Darling buyout costs $8.5m over six seasons. There's also the potential of flipping him for another poor contract elsewhere. I'm assuming the goalie market is something they'll have figured out if Talbot is truly on the market.

I'd like to defend Darling as a possible bounce back option because I love his backstory, but his year in Carolina is too damning. That's an extremely high risk banking on him to bounce back from that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
As I posted on our board, you have time to manage that situation. A Darling buyout costs $8.5m over six seasons. There's also the potential of flipping him for another poor contract elsewhere. I'm assuming the goalie market is something they'll have figured out if Talbot is truly on the market.

I'd like to defend Darling as a possible bounce back option because I love his backstory, but his year in Carolina is too damning. That's an extremely high risk banking on him to bounce back from that.

If by figured out you mean ‘we will give Halak or Lehtonen a whirl and hope the combined GAA of a Lehtonen/Koskinen duo doesn’t hit double digits’ then sure, we’ve got it figured all right...

But hey sure let’s do this thing and assume a bigger deal looks something like

Lucic and Talbot for Faulk and Darling, and we then buy out Darling and say - best case scenario - we sign Halak.

Are we really better off?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad