Taking a look back at over 30 years worth of Habs prospect top 10 lists

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think it shows the past 30 years, our amateur scouting people have been hitting about .201 with a couple of home runs, and 17 RBI's and 2 SB's

Not good....no matter how you slice it, not good.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Did they ever miss on Pacioretty and McDonagh, plus Eller and Shattenkirk - and Alzner in the other direction.

To be fair, the game has changed since then. Back in 2007 or 2008 a slower, steady, defensive “old school” type of d-man like an Alzner was seen to hold a decent amount of value as an important piece to a backend.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It’s that time of year again - THN’s long-running annual special edition magazine is hitting the newsstands.

It features the usual “top 50” list and expands the overall ranking to the top 100 prospects. A panel of 9 scouts contributed to the top 50 prospects list.

Here is the Habs top 10. This list is typically provided by an actual member of the organization, so I presume that to be the case again this year.

1. Cole Caufield (15)
2. Kaiden Guhle (34)
3. Cayden Primeau (67)
4. Ryan Poehling (88)
5. Mattias Norlinder
6. Josh Brook
7. Jordan Harris
8. Luke Tuch
9. Jesse Ylonen
10. Jan Mysak

I have updated the following thread: Taking a look back at over 30 years worth of Habs prospect top 10 lists

Reactions: Chili

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Very good list. I think caufield and poehling will help us soon (2021-22). Guhle was a good pick. Top 2 D potential. Norlinder is a boom or bust type of prospect.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
It’s that time of year again - THN’s long-running annual special edition magazine is hitting the newsstands.

It features the usual “top 50” list and expands the overall ranking to the top 100 prospects. A panel of 9 scouts contributed to the top 50 prospects list.

Here is the Habs top 10. This list is typically provided by an actual member of the organization, so I presume that to be the case again this year.

1. Cole Caufield (15)
2. Kaiden Guhle (34)
3. Cayden Primeau (67)
4. Ryan Poehling (88)
5. Mattias Norlinder
6. Josh Brook
7. Jordan Harris
8. Luke Tuch
9. Jesse Ylonen
10. Jan Mysak

I have updated the following thread: Taking a look back at over 30 years worth of Habs prospect top 10 lists
Imagine thinking Caufield is in 15th place lol. Pathetic list. Didn’t need to read any more after that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Best part about the previous lists is that outside of 2008 and 2009, tho lists are hilariously/painfully off.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Who are the top 14?

I try to keep it to a top 10 list, for discussion purposes. Anything more than that is usually frowned upon due to site rules and of course copyright issues. I always recommend purchasing the magazine for the full list and write-ups.

1. Trevor Zegras
2. Quinton Byfield
3. Jamie Drysdale
4. Lucas Raymond
5. Moritz Seider
6. Spencer Knight
7. Jake Sanderson
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Alexander Holtz
10. Anton Lundell

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
2017:

1. Mikael Sergachev
2. Noah Juulsen
2. Michael McCarron
4. Nikita Scherbak
5. Jacob De La Rose
6. Zach Fucale
7. Charles Hudon
8. Michael McNiven
9. Will Bitten
10 Victor Mete

One left.

Capz

Jul 1, 2019
I try to keep it to a top 10 list, for discussion purposes. Anything more than that is usually frowned upon due to site rules and of course copyright issues. I always recommend purchasing the magazine for the full list and write-ups.

1. Trevor Zegras
2. Quinton Byfield
3. Jamie Drysdale
4. Lucas Raymond
5. Moritz Seider
6. Spencer Knight
7. Jake Sanderson
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Alexander Holtz
10. Anton Lundell

I'd think Caufield should be in that top 10 but it's just an opinion based article that has no bearing. Everyone has been underating Cole his whole career due to size and he keeps scoring so it might be helping him. Keep it up?

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT

1. Trevor Zegras
2. Quinton Byfield
3. Jamie Drysdale
4. Lucas Raymond
5. Moritz Seider
6. Spencer Knight
7. Jake Sanderson
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Alexander Holtz
10. Anton Lundell

Everyone can have opinions but cole is a top 5 now easily

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Looking at a few of those recent years..Poor drafting for sure, but I think having the worst coach in professional hockey for a few seasons really hurt the development of some of these guys. Man, Lefebvre was brutal.
Just found it interesting the turnover in 4 years. And some prospects stay that long on these lists (especially dmen).

Interesting too, that the guy they may have messed around the most is still in the organization (McNiven).

Edit: Thanks for linking the old thread. Fun to look back at past lists.

Last edited:

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
I'd think Caufield should be in that top 10 but it's just an opinion based article that has no bearing. Everyone has been underating Cole his whole career due to size and he keeps scoring so it might be helping him. Keep it up?

I think Zegras is a bit too high. Would replace Holtz with Caufield. Heinola or Sanderson is an interesting debate, i think too

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
THN isn’t a very credible list compared past years.

Caufield is definitely higher than 15. I’d call him a top 10 prospect at the lowest.

Keep in mind, the list is not put together by THN’s writers. As usual, it consists of the opinions of a panel of scouts.

That being said, I do agree Cole deserves a spot in the top 10 for sure.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Primeau had slightly better stats, at a slightly younger age, while being slightly larger than Spencer Knight in 2 Hockey East seasons, as well as their final WJC season. Since then Primeau won top rookie goaltender honors in the AHL, and posted top numbers on the Habs in a short stint. This season he has some of the best numbers in the AHL, and is 11-3 on the year. What exactly makes Knight a superior prospect?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad