Nash-Richards-Gabby
Hags-Stepan-Cally
Kreider-Boyle-Pyatt
Asham-Halpern-Rupp

McD-Girardi
Staal-MDZ
Stralman- Bickel

Henrik

After opening night Torts will try every combination he can think of. Unless a line REALLY clicks then he will play that line 40 minutes a game.

Looking at that lineup three things stand out.

Rick Nash is a Ranger

The third line C

No Brandon Prust.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Kreider has struggled with the Whale---it's really a toss-up as to whether or not he makes the team; however, he is the only player who is waivers-exempt, and so I see it being possibly an open competition between Kreider, Christian Thomas, and J.T. Miller (who had a strong WJC) for that final roster spot.

On the blue line, I see it more likely that Eminger plays than Bickel. The question now becomes: if Redden's cap hit cannot be buried in the AHL, does he still get sent to the Whale, or does he become the 7th defenseman and Bickel a spare forward?

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Kreider gets a freebie to start the season in the line up from the playoff performance. What happens from there on is up to his performance. With his work ethic and maturity and attitude, Torts will devote time and patience to him even if he needs a bit of ice time and a dozen games to come around.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Nearly everybody has Asham in their lineups. He's the one guy we can be assured will not play on opening day. Still has one game to go on his suspension from the playoffs.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Hagelin has no business being a top 6 forward unless there are injuries.
Perfect bottom 6 player.

Nash:Richards:Callahan
Kreider:Stepan:Gaborik
Hagelin:Boyle : Pyatt
Asham:Halpern:Rupp

McDonagh:Girardi
Staal:Stralman
Del Zotto:Redden

Replace Redden with Sauer and that is the EXACT lineup I want to see.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Pyatt - Boyle - Callahan
Rupp - Halpern - Haley

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Strålman
Del Zotto - Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
Hagelin has no business being a top 6 forward unless there are injuries.
Perfect bottom 6 player.

Nash:Richards:Callahan
Kreider:Stepan:Gaborik
Hagelin:Boyle : Pyatt
Asham:Halpern:Rupp
McDonagh:Girardi
Staal:Stralman
Del Zotto:Redden
I agree that Hags on paper is a great bottom sixer but you can't argue with the chemistry that evolved with him winning puck battles for richy and gabs. When they were on they were by far the strongest looking line.

Secondly I don't like putting Nash on the left of a lefty center (rich) and Gabs on the right of a righty center (step). Small thing to some but even torts said he wants richey with gabs for that reason.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'll be interested to see if Kreider gets a spot. He's struggled a lot in Hartford but at what point does NHL level coaching and talent help him more than AHL time.

If he's overwhelmed in the AHL maybe it's the coaches job to simplify things for him

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I'll be interested to see if Kreider gets a spot. He's struggled a lot in Hartford but at what point does NHL level coaching and talent help him more than AHL time.

If he's overwhelmed in the AHL maybe it's the coaches job to simplify things for him

The reasons behind his struggles in Hartford would have to resurface in the NHL in order for it to count against him imo. Like I said, his potential in our line up and our need for him in our lineup has him in a favorable position to get a job in the NHL.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
It seems everyone forgot that Torts is the coach here. We'll see every possible line combination. We may even see Halpern centering Gabby and Hags and some point.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It seems everyone forgot that Torts is the coach here. We'll see every possible line combination. We may even see Halpern centering Gabby and Hags and some point.

Every coach wildly juggles their lines. Finding something that clicks for a few games is more important to coaches than mashing together the best players and hoping they figure it out

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Every coach wildly juggles their lines. Finding something that clicks for a few games is more important to coaches than mashing together the best players and hoping they figure it out

The key for us is to not only find a line that works but find the lines that work best and no other.

It's fairly easy for all of our lines however they're mashed to be fairly productive barring some sort of anti-chemistry :laugh:

The challenge is to find the most dominating 2 lines in the NHL with a 3 line that can give opposition a bit of trouble matching... maybe.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

And that will definitely be the case this year. With the compressed schedule and shortened season, there's simply no time to wait around to see if a few guys can figure each other out.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The reasons behind his struggles in Hartford would have to resurface in the NHL in order for it to count against him imo. Like I said, his potential in our line up and our need for him in our lineup has him in a favorable position to get a job in the NHL.

Also, and this may be entirely unfair of me, but I'm not sure I'm sold on Hartford's coaches and their ability to coach up forwards. They've done a good job with defensemen lately, but I dunno, it seems like every forward that has needed more than just some adjustment time has kind of underwhelmed in the end.

Again I think of when Kreider played with the Rangers and was told "watch Hagelin, play like he does" and his play improved IMO, even over his time in college. He pursued the puck better, was more involved, cycled well, was using his body along the boards, and finding opportunities because of it. Now he's in Hartford and floating around like he used to in college, looking lost? What went wrong? What are they teaching him there? What are they asking of him that's so wildly different from what he was doing with the Rangers?

Something doesn't quite add up to me and I'd be wildly curious to see what happens if he gets a dose of Torts coaching from here on out

DeadPuck

Jan 11, 2012
New Jersey
Opening Night at MSG

Nash-Richards-Gabby
Hags-Stepan-Cally
Kreider-Boyle-Pyatt
Asham-Halpern-Rupp

McD-Girardi
Staal-MDZ
Stralman- Bickel

This lineup get's my vote. Although I don't think putting the best 3 on the 1st line is the best idea.

I'm thinking based on last year's playoff's the short season favors the Rangers. :)

Last edited:

Lundqvist 30 NY

Feb 8, 2012
NY
Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Boyle-Pyatt
Rupp-Halpern-Haley

Asham takes Haley's spot after Game 1.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Stralman
Staal-Bickel

Staal is absolutely not a 3rd pairing DMan, but he pretty much showed the ability to cover all of the ice defensively with Bickel as his partner. Being that Bickel is the weakest DMan on this team and a liability, I'd put Staal with him again, as I believe he is our best DMan.

Lundqvist
Biron

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
you dont seem to like kreider lol

Its not that. I certainly hope he succeeds, and he deserves a roster spot based on last year's playoffs. But I seem to be in the minority when thinking, right now, he is not an NHL regular. He still needs to prove that.

The AHL performance just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Given the fact its a shortened season and Gilroy has played for Torts I am fine with him being a spare but ideally I would want him on a 2 way deal.

I can pretty much guarantee he is going to piss me off a bunch of times this yr if he plays consistantly so hoping he's a spare for the most part. Looks like he is playing LD with McIlrath RD in CT so I imagine on the depth charts Torts has Gilroy as the spare LD and 3rd pairing LD if DZ is not signed yet.............Bickel and Eminger for the RD 3rd pairing is fine for the regular season but not ideal come playoff time. So a depth Dman will be needed at some point/deadline likely

Giglio NYR15

Section 417
Jun 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Im gonna say

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Asham-Halpern-Rupp

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Eminger-Stralman

Bickel-Gilroy 7th?

Henrik/Biron

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Can someone tell me more about Hrivik?

Reminds me a decent amount of Anisimov, style-wise. Has played a lot of wing in CT. Lanky kid, great skater, slick hands and a good passer. Can finish when he gets a chance but hasn't really been a shoot-first player. Not soft but not overly physical. Solid in the defensive zone, not a liability by any stretch.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Boyle-Pyatt
Rupp-Halpern-Haley

Asham - suspended for 1 game

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
MDZ-Eminger
Bickel, Gilroy (both can play at forward if need be)

First call-ups:
Kolarik
Hrivik
Newbury

McIlrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad