Take a shot: Opening night lineup

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Richards, Nash and Gaborik won't be a line at even strength but you can bet your ass they'll play on that power play with MDZ and someone else, maybe Stepan.
I would guess Callahan will be on the top PP unit the majority of the time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Richards, Nash and Gaborik won't be a line at even strength but you can bet your ass they'll play on that power play with MDZ and someone else, maybe Stepan.

I am sure alot will be tried, but to be honest, I wouldn't be too afraid to bet against you on this one...

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
I don't see Kreider getting put on top 2 lines right away. I think Torts will let him develop some of his physicality on the bottom 2 lines and probably as soon as we go in a small goal drought he'll be put up on the top 2

marciiauzii

Nov 15, 2012
Latvia
I really hope that Halpern could step up a little from last season and under Torts that could be possible, because Jeff is a good defensive forward and his FO skills are superb...

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't see Kreider getting put on top 2 lines right away. I think Torts will let him develop some of his physicality on the bottom 2 lines and probably as soon as we go in a small goal drought he'll be put up on the top 2

third line is fine for kreider. give him some time on the power play. that said, he might need to open the season in hartford. depending on how he looks in camp. can't hand anyone a role. torts will - wisely - make him earn it.

beef 4 lunch

Jan 24, 2011
Anyone else a little bit worried about the left side?

Neither Kreider nor Hagelin should be penciled in right away. I love them both and hope the earn their spots. But Kreider still has to prove himself and from all reports has been less than stellar. He may slump or need some significant time, who knows. Hagelin, I have more confidence in, but he is also young and he doesn't have much of a track record.

I wouldn't be opposed to some experience on the left side as an option. Any chance there will some invites to camp to compete for a spot on the wing? Any free agent options that would be attractive?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Pyatt is an option at LW, and Stepan has played there as well though I would certainly agree that depth there is of some concern.

But in a 48 game season I am less worried about depth.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Nash can play on the left side. Torts said that he wants him on the right, but it's Torts.

Everything will be tried.

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
With all due respect, B4L, his name is Rick Nash. For those of you penciling him on the right side, I honestly don't see it. Ryan Callahan is not getting pushed down to the third line. He and Gaborik are locks for the top 6.

For the last few years, Left Wing has been an organizational weakness. Hagelin was a pleasant surprise last year, but Dubi got cold and it was obvious that we needed a major move to put us over the top. And Glen Sather delivered.

I'd hate to be too overly optimistic, but having Nash, Hagelin, and Kreider as top 9 LW's sets our left side for years to come.

From my perspective, I believe the only holes Sather should look to improve is a third line RW and a bottom pairing RHD.

Anyways heres to a great season and a Cup to match!

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
With all due respect, B4L, his name is Rick Nash. For those of you penciling him on the right side, I honestly don't see it. Ryan Callahan is not getting pushed down to the third line. He and Gaborik are locks for the top 6.

For the last few years, Left Wing has been an organizational weakness. Hagelin was a pleasant surprise last year, but Dubi got cold and it was obvious that we needed a major move to put us over the top. And Glen Sather delivered.

I'd hate to be too overly optimistic, but having Nash, Hagelin, and Kreider as top 9 LW's sets our left side for years to come.

From my perspective, I believe the only holes Sather should look to improve is a third line RW and a bottom pairing RHD.

Anyways heres to a great season and a Cup to match!

It's in the system but just have to be patient.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
My guess will be:

Hagelin Richards Nash
Callahan Stepan Gaborik
Kreider Boyle Pyatt
Asham Halpern Haley

Extra- Rupp, Newbury

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Stralman
Del Zotto Eminger

Cally can play the left side and I think he and Steps can open up the ice for Gaborik to have plenty of room to shoot. Nash can benefit from Hagelin's speed and grinding play. Hagelin and Richards has chemistry last season and I think Nash as a style that better suits Richards play making abilities. He isn't as soft as Gabby and can get to dirtier areas.

Also LOVE the size and speed on that third line. Two huge grinders and a blazing fast 6 foot 4 young power forward can work very well. Let Boyle and Pyatt open up the ice for Kreider.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Nash can play on the left side. Torts said that he wants him on the right, but it's Torts.

Everything will be Brian Boyle'd

Agreed.

Exactly. There's no chance in hell Callahan plays on the third line. Torts loves him. He produces. He leads. He's a great utility guy to have and is way to valuable.

I think Hagelin overachieved a bit last season. I think he made the best of some good bounces. I think he's a lock as our third line LW long-term, but for some reason I can see him as a guy Sather would trade. I don't know why.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Cally can play the left side

He doesn't have the stickwork to play on the left. His skills and style are perfectly suited on the right. Gaborik, on the other hand, can play on the left.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Rupp-Boyle-Nash
Haley-Halpern-Kreider
Hagelin-Stepan-Pyatt
Callahan-Richards-Gaborik

It is Torts after all...might as well make it realistic.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I know its Rick Nash, but unless hes on the same line as Gaborik and Richards, he should be playing on the 2nd line with Cally and Stepan. He's a better overall player than Gaborik so he can create his own offense. Not to mention Richards and Gabs clicked last year when they got a legit shot to play together don't fix what isnt broke

Vickers8

Gabby- Steps- Cally
Hags- Richie- Nash
Kreider- Moore-Pyatt (If we get Dominic Moore)
Rupp- Boyle- Halpern

McD- Danny G
Staal- Strals-
MDZ- Gilroy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad