Confirmed with Link: Tage Thompson Extends: 7 years, $50 million ($7.14 M AAV)

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Something in the background of the reinvention of him at center and his explosion onto the scoresheet since Don took over - he's always come across as a genuinely nice guy. He put in the work when sent down to Rochester. He didn't mope, he dug in to get better. When he got hurt after coming back up, it looked like something that would derail many and yet he continued to work. He's earnest in interviews and is fundamentally easy to root for. I like the guy, looking at what he's overcome on and off the ice making it almost soothing to be a fan of his success.

THIS!!! Thompson, Mitts, 6K, Quinn, Peterka, Cozens, Samuelson….all seem like high character players. Thompson and Mitts could have pouted about their awful
development but instead have done nothing but put in work.

The bills had to do the same thing. Get rid of locker room issues and drama. Focus on high character players with talent and build a team

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
THIS!!! Thompson, Mitts, 6K, Quinn, Peterka, Cozens, Samuelson….all seem like high quality players. Thompson and Mitts could have pouted about their awful
development but instead have done nothing but put in work.

The bills had to do the same thing. Get rid of locker room issues and drama. Focus on high quality players

Yeah, I'd put Mitts in the same category - the guy has gotten dragged regularly since Botterill basically set him up to fail alongside Thompson. The two of them with the "let's keep them around to practice" thing... was so odd, so against the grain and seemingly set them both back since they needed reps and needed to work. If they can salvage both as may be happening, Granato may be in line for sainthood.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Soon to be 32 year old RoR has hit the wall hard and fast this year and he is on the decline from here on out. Just turned 25 year old Tage Thompson hasn't even scratched the surface. And before someone here brings up 5 seasons ago, it was all because of Binnington period. Before Binnington played his first game that season RoR was over a ppg (31 in 30) and they were in DFL.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Good to see Sabres doing good. Thompson is a beast. I picked him in my pool. Big man, great hands. Playoffs this year for Sabres no problem. Both of our franchises have suffered for a long time. Hopefully the suffering is now over and we are both on our way.
Good Luck Buffalo

Reactions: Dingo44

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Soon to be 32 year old RoR has hit the wall hard and fast this year and he is on the decline from here on out. Just turned 25 year old Tage Thompson hasn't even scratched the surface. And before someone here brings up 5 seasons ago, it was all because of Binnington period. Before Binnington played his first game that season RoR was over a ppg (31 in 30) and they were in DFL.
Nothing wrong with saying both teams have won this deal for the windows that they were in.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure the aim of the ROR deal was to shed his salary. Full stop.

That we lucked out on TT hitting is a boon for the hockey department.
Turning ROR into Sobotka&Berglund saving around 100k is probably what they were aiming for then.
I still believe they aimed to be competitive which the failed miserably.
Good one piece worked out 4 years later

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Thanks to Tage Thompson, Jeff Skinner can start measuring his career in terms of assists too, not just goals,

His impact on Skin's game -- a downright biblical resurrection -- has transformed the NHL's most overpaid player into a guy who's maybe overpaid by 25%, which is tolerable in the grand scheme of cap things.

Reactions: Dingo44

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Something in the background of the reinvention of him at center and his explosion onto the scoresheet since Don took over - he's always come across as a genuinely nice guy. He put in the work when sent down to Rochester. He didn't mope, he dug in to get better. When he got hurt after coming back up, it looked like something that would derail many and yet he continued to work. He's earnest in interviews and is fundamentally easy to root for. I like the guy, looking at what he's overcome on and off the ice making it almost soothing to be a fan of his success.
This is a similarity he has with Josh Allen. Both guys are incredibly easy to root for. That's certainly not the norm for elite level athletes.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I was watching the Quinn goal again and it struck me how little Dylan Larkin looked trying to keep up/check Tage as he carried the puck behind the net.

I would have thought Larkin was Nathan Gerbe.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm pretty sure the aim of the ROR deal was to shed his salary. Full stop.

That we lucked out on TT hitting is a boon for the hockey department.

Thompson's reinvention as a player is split between him putting in so much work on his game and body as well as Granato's faith in putting him at center. And even with those things, there is still a lot to not enjoy about the trade that shall not be named.

Happily, Thompson continues to entertain, like so much found money.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Pasta is 26 earning 6.666
Signed 6 years x 6.6
He does 1 point per game and is around 40-50 goal scorer . Why should Tage earn more then him , lol. Pasta have show he is worth 9-10 mil and you pay him that But this is after 7 years producing

Pasta signed his current contract after a single year of production, six years ago. Tage signed a contract worth less than $500k per year more than Pasta’s, after a single year of production, this year.

Did Boston get six years of cheap Pastrnak? Yep. Could it have been a failure? Also yep.

We might get Tage at a bargain. Kevyn Adams is just making the same gamble that the Bruins did. Considering Pasta’s contract was including a cap freeze, and Tage’s will include the make-up cap raises. We might come out laughing at Tage’s contract by the end.

1667337150511.png

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
But it wasn’t. In his last 12 games of year two, he had 17 passing touchdowns to 3 interceptions (ignoring his rushing TDs)

That myth just isn’t true

And the accuracy stuff is way way way overblown. And a lot of people saw it coming. A lot of posters saw it coming during year 2. And a lot of posters here saw an improved year 2 based on his improved last half of year 1.
Uh... his first >60% completion percentage season at any level (high school, college, NFL) was in the NFL. That's literally never happened before.

Fans had the same optimism in what they saw in Rob Johnson/Flutie, J.P. Losman, Fitz, E.J. Manuel, etc, as they did in Allen. The only difference is that they were right about Allen and wrong about all the rest.

Tage is also a Unicorn.

His first >30g season ever was in the NHL and it was only his second >20g season in his career, the last one being all the way back in 2010-11 U14 AA.

That doesn't happen.

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Thompson only 2 for 5 on faceoffs tonight, 43% overall. Sabres should sell high before his poor faceoff numbers inevitably come back to bite them.

(Yes, this is sarcasm.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad