GDT: Switzerland vs. Khazakhstan

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Aeschlimann shouldn't play again this year but it's too early to write him off for the future.

And not to take anything away from Shutov who was fantastic, but the lack of finish is a big concern

Last edited:

Nico13

Nov 29, 2021
Switzerland
Kazak coach had a bet on the under 5.5 for sure.

I really dislike coward coachs like that who let the goalie on the net when there is only 15 seconds to play. And even before he doesn't pull the G before the last minute.

Would love to be on the players mind to understand what they think about coward things like that.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kazak coach had a bet on the under 5.5 for sure.

I really dislike coward coachs like that who let the goalie on the net when there is only 15 seconds to play. And even before he doesn't pull the G before the last minute.

Would love to be on the players mind to understand what they think about coward things like that.
I jokingly imagine something like a conversation between Mikhailis and Kazakh hockey chiefs after the game against Denmark going "if at the end of the tournament our goal differential is double digits on the negative side, you are getting canned", so he doesn't pull the goalie anymore. Funny thing is, that's not completely impossible that the reason is similar to this one.

He usually isn't so scared of pulling the goalie, there definitely has to be a reason. Or maybe he still believes in goal differential that much, for whatever reason.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Aeschlimann with the first and last WC game of his career I guess..
Shame, he deserved more after the season he had
Of his career? I guess that's a bit of an overreaction he probably won't play another game this year but to say he will never ever get a chance again.... Meier's performance today is more of a concern going forward in my opinion. Well tomorrow against the Slovaks there's a chance to redress

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Aeschlimann shouldn't play again this year but it's too early to write him off for the future.
Not writing him off but he's had a fantastic season which will be hard to duplicate as it's been kind of an anomaly in his career. He's also turning 28 next year and we have the likes of Schmid, Descloux, Waeber, Hollenstein, Pottelberghe or Wüthrich establishing themselves.
Yeah, besides Schmid not really top-end talent but I doubt that we have to rely on Aeschlimann after Genoni/Berra retire.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Of his career? I guess that's a bit of an overreaction he probably won't play another game this year but to say he will never ever get a chance again....
Not a reaction to today's game at all. I just think this was his only chance at a WC as you have to be a top 3 goaltender of the country for a nomination. As I stated above, I doubt he will be that but very happy if he proves me wrong :)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not writing him off but he's had a fantastic season which will be hard to duplicate as it's been kind of an anomaly in his career. He's also turning 28 next year and we have the likes of Schmid, Descloux, Waeber, Hollenstein, Pottelberghe or Wüthrich establishing themselves.
Yeah, besides Schmid not really top-end talent but I doubt that we have to rely on Aeschlimann after Genoni/Berra retire.
Anything to see in Waeber in terms of being an NHL free agent?

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Anything to see in Waeber in terms of being and NHL free agent?

He had a great season but it was only his second as a starter in the NLA and his first above average year. He needs to build on that in Switzerland for at least one additional year, probably more, in my opinion. I also doubt he would risk his position in Zürich just to end up in the AHL without a real shot of promotion. So defintely not this year. I also don't think he ever talked about if he wanted to go over the pond if given the opporunity so who knows if he even wants to try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Seeing as two of NJ's top players are from Switzerland and the club has a dire need in goal I was wondering if he might be an option.

Is there another goalie playing in the NL who might be an option? Kovar seems past that point at this stage of his career.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Seeing as two of NJ's top players are from Switzerland and the club has a dire need in goal I was wondering if he might be an option.

Is there another goalie playing in the NL who might be an option? Kovar seems past that point at this stage of his career.
Well you have Akira Schmid in your own organization so I would start from there ;)

Joren van Pottelberghe is the only one from the NL I could actually see progressing into an NHL goaltender.
He's been injured lately but he has the combination of skill and size I could see translate into NA hockey. Drafted by Detroit but I'm not sure if they still hava any rights..

From the other ones, they're mostly the same athletic but small type, I don't see it. Hollenstein played solid WJC but still couldn't attract NHL scouts mainly due to his size I guess. Same for Descloux or Wüthrich. It's kind of a low point in terms of goaltending for us.

Patenaude or Charlin could make it one day, but that's still a long road ahead.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Forgot Akira was Swiss until I went back and checked.

I'm assuming he and Sandro Schmid are not related.

Thanks for the overview on goaltending. JVP is still on the Wings' protected list according to Cap Friendly.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Schmid is a very common name in Switzerland. Like Smith or something similar.

It is the German equivalent of Smith but no quite as common. In general I would agree with the posters above me. The only NL goaltender who has a similar upside as Schmid (and enough size) right now is Van Pottelberghe. But his rights belong to Detroit. Maybe Fatton is worth a look in the future but not for a few more years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad