Post-Game Talk: Switch-flippers @ Kings - 10:30pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'd be curious to see what's going on behind closed doors. You can't just go from destroying every team by 5+ goals to sucking like that all of a sudden.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
30 games ago the team was listless and sleepwalking to a good record anyway. Then they seemed to find themselves and ripped the league to shreds. Trotz had trotted out something new and the oppo didn't know how th deal with it. Confidence set in and off they went.

The league made them take a break for a week which has caused bad enough results around the league that Bettman is ready to pull the plug on it. At the same time teams have seen the new Caps stuff and are starting to game plan it.

Most teams have a bump in the road. So far Shattenkirk doesn't spell ALL IN. His results are mixed as with last night. Who knows what is up with Ov.

Lets face it, the only thing we haven't seen before with this team is them winning the Cup. Its been almost 20 years since the one time in the finals. So, nothing that they do right now will make the playoffs any easier to watch and really nothing that they don't do know will tell me they cant succeed.

Here's hoping Holtby sharpens up for the next three games and they can win 2.

Why is it that the league doesn't catch up to the Penguins? Or any other number of teams that don't go 11 games-21 goal streaks? Our standing at the top of the league perch is nice and all, but that streak we went on may have been a curse in disguise. I think this team needed a system designed for their personnel that is mastered rather than the "jack of all trades", master of none approach. IMO that is the reason for the multi-game offensive droughts. I think a coaching change was needed with the eye on the big picture, but understandably the run made it unrealistic.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
We are in a funk for sure - but I honestly believe there is only one team that can beat this Caps team in a 7 game series. We know who that is.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But one thing I wonder, based on a comment you made recently, is if their call-up and cap situation has them playing conservatively. Maybe they're trying to do what they can to grab some points without going all out because they're up against a roster issue and can't afford to get anyone hurt.

If that's the case then I'd expect to see them ramp it up (switch-flippy) the last week of the season but we might be in for more of this garbage until then.
We're all just grasping in the dark here but if that were the case there would be more of a strategic or deliberate intent in their game. The penalties and overall sloppiness suggest IMO it's more likely just a slump combined with teams playing with more desperation. Also, Niskanen and Carlson appear to have faded since the Shattenkirk add and it sets a really shaky tone.

Without high level play on the blueline it puts a high burden on the forwards when their collective tools aren't that tremendous. This isn't a team that can easily score in high intensity, uncomfortable situations. It's been proven in the playoffs under Trotz and we're seeing it yet again. Everyone has to dig in or else they're going to face the same dynamics working against them. A big part of the problem is their leaders haven't elevated their games. It starts with Ovechkin most glaringly (although he's perhaps waking up), extends to their unproductive PPs and in the tone set shift-to-shift.

Also, as much as I like Wilson recently, putting him on a prime scoring line in a somewhat desperate situation is asking way too much of him. Free Connolly.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I also thought they looked notably better last night. And of course they've scored the first goal in the past 2 games, which is an upgrade over other recent performances.

And one final thing, IIRC, during the dominant run, their shot totals were quite low, but their shooting % was ridiculous. Everyone said it was unsustainable, and maybe that's what we're seeing. But nevertheless, for this team, low shot totals aren't necessarily an indication that they are playing poorly.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I'd be curious to see what's going on behind closed doors. You can't just go from destroying every team by 5+ goals to sucking like that all of a sudden.

apparently they are super happy to be in a playoff race and not running away with the division

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Skirk suspended 2 games. ****ing great. Now he will be gun shy to hit, and even if not, will be at risk of becoming repeat offender. At least we have Nate to fall back on.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Jaimie Benn gets 0 for hitting Backstrom in the head though..

Nothing matters more than the team you play for. You can elbow a guy 100 feet away from the puck, then do a head snap and the only thing American hockey viewers know is Pierre McGuire praising Callahan for drawing a call and how undisciplined Jack Hillen is.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yes... it's a contagion. :help:

More like, it's part of how the Caps get ****ed by the DoPS system on a regular basis.

It was a dumb hit, but not worth 2 games.
A defenseman leaving his feet on a hit down along the opposition goal line? Very stupid. Shades of Orpik hitting Maatta without having any idea where the puck was stupid.

What else are they going to say about the race tightening up? It's the situation they've created. All they can do is play through it and try to build their confidence back up. Needing external motivation down the stretch every season says it all. Their focus at this point in the season rarely seems to be where it needs to be.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Jaimie Benn gets 0 for hitting Backstrom in the head though..

Nothing matters more than the team you play for. You can elbow a guy 100 feet away from the puck, then do a head snap and the only thing American hockey viewers know is Pierre McGuire praising Callahan for drawing a call and how undisciplined Jack Hillen is.

There's no defending this one though. Shattenkirk earned that. We're an undisciplined team. The day we become a team that plays a clean game beyond reproach, then we can complain about double standards.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
There's no defending this one though. Shattenkirk earned that. We're an undisciplined team. The day we become a team that plays a clean game beyond reproach, then we can complain about double standards.

whats the difference between his hit and malkins?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Wow, no. Shattenkirk did not earn 2 games for that. It was an in-game minor. It's maybe 1 game, probably a fine. He's got no history, Gravel wasn't hurt (which shouldn't be, but is, a factor they consider).

Yeah, they need to play cleaner, I guess. But we all know they get jobbed in PP differential not only this season, but consistently. It's not just about how they play.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Wow, no. Shattenkirk did not earn 2 games for that. It was an in-game minor. It's maybe 1 game, probably a fine. He's got no history, Gravel wasn't hurt (which shouldn't be, but is, a factor they consider).

Yeah, they need to play cleaner, I guess. But we all know they get jobbed in PP differential not only this season, but consistently. It's not just about how they play.

It's charging + headshot. The head was the principle point of contact, even as Gravel tried to dodge it. That's dangerous. Gravel wasn't hurt because Shattenkirk missed by a little but it could've been a concussion.

We need to be cleaner than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad