Proposal: Svechnikov to Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Draisaitl is a big 50-60 point #2C. He is a top-20 Winger when playing with McDavid (~48% of his Even Strength time last year). Svechnikov would be a top-10 winger next to McDavid as soon as next year.

Easy to say “Canes can easily afford Draisaitl” but that is a ~$20 million over the next 3 years between the two comparable players. Doubt Tom Dundon wants to throw his money away like that for a comparable asset.

Canes will keep Svechnikov. Combine is proving him to be a perfect foundation player for Rod Brind’Amour. Great strength metrics.
We will keep our 50-60 pt 2 center who would immediately be the best center on your team by a mile. Thanks for coming out.

beoser

May 30, 2018
Neutral fan of either team, but it is a bit lopsided on Edmontons part. I feel they give a bit much here.

Perhaps 2nd overall + Faulk for Drai?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Among skaters, Draisaitl was 91st in point shares last season in a healthy season. I'm not sure why he gets such enthusiastic support considering his significant drop in production (don't look at points because league scoring jumped overall).

Among those with more point shares last season were Kyle Connor, Jaden Schwartz, Gabe Landeskog, Nik Ehlers, Evgeni Dadonov and Reilly Smith.

And he makes 8.5 mil a year.

If such a trade offer were to be made the Oilers would not nuts not to do it. Svechnikov is the best Russian prospect since Malkin.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Among skaters, Draisaitl was 91st in point shares last season in a healthy season. I'm not sure why he gets such enthusiastic support considering his significant drop in production (don't look at points because league scoring jumped overall).

Among those with more point shares last season were Kyle Connor, Jaden Schwartz, Gabe Landeskog, Nik Ehlers, Evgeni Dadonov and Reilly Smith.

And he makes 8.5 mil a year.

If such a trade offer were to be made the Oilers would not nuts not to do it. Svechnikov is the best Russian prospect since Malkin.

Pay no attention to actual results, only pay attention to this spreadsheet.

Point shares are wildly flawed for playmaking players because the two biggest factors are goals and ice time. It also doesn’t differentiate between type of ice time and the Oiler PP was horrible.

He gets enthusiastic support because he’s an incredible player and better than any member of the Hurricanes.

Reactions: ivanlwan and 780il

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Draisaitl is a big 50-60 point #2C. He is a top-20 Winger when playing with McDavid (~48% of his Even Strength time last year). Svechnikov would be a top-10 winger next to McDavid as soon as next year.

Easy to say “Canes can easily afford Draisaitl” but that is a ~$20 million over the next 3 years between the two comparable players. Doubt Tom Dundon wants to throw his money away like that for a comparable asset.

Canes will keep Svechnikov. Combine is proving him to be a perfect foundation player for Rod Brind’Amour. Great strength metrics.
I don’t really view Draisaitl as 50-60 player, especially when he put up 77 and 70 (in a slightly shortened season). And yes we can have projections for svech, and they just aren’t any guarantees there

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
According to your single cherry picked inherently flawed fairly obscure metric that only measures points?

All metrics are flawed, but Draisatl should be higher than 91st on that list if we are to perceive him a star player.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Fact that Draisailt is overpaid and that hes ''popular'' its only because of Mcjesus.

Draisailt is not even worth the 2nd overall pick
All metrics are flawed, but Draisatl should be higher than 91st on that list if we are to perceive him a star player.
Monza: Brutal. You're clueless.
Fantomas: I encourage you to actually watch Draisaitl play, not just look at some stats page. A lot of guys might look at Hanifin's numbers and say "well he isn't anything special, career minus player, negative giveaway/take away stats, tons of offensive zone starts (63%) vs defensive, etc. However, if that same person actually watches the kid play they're more likely to say hey he is young and developing just fine, loads of talent, just has to put things together at the NHL level.
Hanifin is 21 years old.
Draisaitl, a 70+ point forward, is 22.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Monza: Brutal. You're clueless.
Fantomas: I encourage you to actually watch Draisaitl play, not just look at some stats page. A lot of guys might look at Hanifin's numbers and say "well he isn't anything special, career minus player, negative giveaway/take away stats, tons of offensive zone starts (63%) vs defensive, etc. However, if that same person actually watches the kid play they're more likely to say hey he is young and developing just fine, loads of talent, just has to put things together at the NHL level.
Hanifin is 21 years old.
Draisaitl, a 70+ point forward, is 22.

You don't have to encourage me. I have seen Draisaitl play and I like him. But he simply isn't producing at the level expected from someone perceived to be near-untouchable. I think Svechnikov matches his production within two years, overtakes him soon thereafter and at a better salary for the near future.

Reactions: SvechniCanesCup2019

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You don't have to encourage me. I have seen Draisaitl play and I like him. But he simply isn't producing at the level expected from someone perceived to be near-untouchable. I think Svechnikov matches his production within two years, overtakes him soon thereafter and at a better salary for the near future.

You're underrating a known asset and overrating an unknown quantity

Drai was a top 10 scorer last year and was top 20 in ESP this year, tied Taylor Hall in ESP.

Oilers should rectify the PP and he will compile the PPP and get back to 2017 form playing with CMD.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
There is no evidence that at the NHL level Svechnikov will be better than Draisaitl. I also believe that salary wise everyone is going up... $8.5 Million won't be the exception, it will be the average.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

He’s produced 77 and 70 points his last two seasons. Fancystats be damned, he puts up points, wins draws, and can dominate. He has to work on consistency, no doubt, but he is a hell of a player.

Again I liken the Oilers dealing Drai to 2nd to the Hurricanes dealing Aho for 3rd-5th. Svechnikov, Zadnia, and Wahlstrom are nice prospects but you cross your fingers that they turn into the Draisaitl’s and Aho’s of the league.

If 2nd for Draisaitl was offered straight up, I’d turn it down flat and I’d seriously question any hockey fan without a vested interest in such a trade’s outcome that wouldn’t. Grabbing one random stat to affirm what you believe to be true - or confirmation bias - is such a common thing on this site.

Pointshare from last season alone would have you believe that Dustin Brown is a much better player than Jack Eichel, Aho, Draisaitl, and Nylander. Do you believe that’s true based on that info alone?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Pointshare from last season alone would have you believe that Dustin Brown is a much better player than Jack Eichel, Aho, Draisaitl, and Nylander. Do you believe that’s true based on that info alone?

I think you're misunderstanding me. One year of player's production doesn't tell us conclusively how good that player is. It just tells us roughly how good that player was that year, at least offensively.

Draisaitl's production last year simply doesn't justify the perception some have of him as an untouchable player. He is just not that good.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Canes really can’t afford to give up a franchise player on an ELC for a guy making $8.5 million. They are a budget team. Dundon will take the cheaper star winger.

while I agree they don't do it, Svechnikov is the franchise player before he steps foot on NHL ice but Draisaitl after his last 2 seasons and 1 playoff is a guy making 8.5 per...

As for the OP neither team does it do to them preferring their guys/team comp.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Draisaitl can already be the guy for McDavid.... So why trade him for a guy who may be the guy for McDavid.

Nuge seems like a great fit for McDavid allowing us to run Drai as the 2c for a better top 6 now...

Deal just doesn't make sense for either team imo.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think you're misunderstanding me. One year of player's production doesn't tell us conclusively how good that player is. It just tells us roughly how good that player was that year, at least offensively.

Draisaitl's production last year simply doesn't justify the perception some have of him as an untouchable player. He is just not that good.

He’s untouchable when the offer is a draft pick. We have nothing else to bring even close to what he does.

Usually statements like yours are followed by a lowball offer so I’m waiting.

Reactions: ivanlwan

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So Edmonton downgrades from Drai to Svechnikov and further complicates their situation on D with Hanifin as they will have Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse and Hanifin fighting for 3 spots on the left side. Russell who is already a lefty playing on the right side will be fighting for one of the bottom 2 right slots with a fellow lefty.

Doesn't work.
Don't care if Carolina also eats Lucic and Russell's contracts, it doesn't make sense for a team trying to move towards competing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad