Leon Draisaitl
10th Overall pick
2018 2nd round

Carolina Hurricanes trade:
2nd Overall pick
Noah Hanifin
2019 3rd round

End of the day, Canes get young immediate 1C, Oilers get the guy for McDavid

Canes still pick up a great prospect, Oilers get a great young defencemen.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
No way the canes will trade exactly what the team needs...canes are desperate for top level talent. Will take a massive overpayment to get that pick, your offer is underwhelming to say the least.....

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Svechnikov would be devastating with McDavid imo but getting him (and Hanifin for some reason??) is a pipe dream scenario at best. teams don't just give away elite prospects on ELC's for elite players making $8.5M. that dramatic increase in expenditure weighs heavily in the "cons" tally of this deal for Carolina.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Edmonton Oilers trade:
Leon Draisaitl
10th Overall pick
2018 2nd round

Carolina Hurricanes trade:
2nd Overall pick
Noah Hanifin
2019 3rd round

End of the day, Canes get young immediate 1C, Oilers get the guy for McDavid

Canes still pick up a great prospect, Oilers get a great young defencemen.
I doubt the Canes would do #2 for Drai even up?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If neither Aho or Necas looked promising as a center, I’d do this. But they both look like it is worth waiting to see if they develop into one at this point and this makes the Canes need to do a deal like this too low to justify the extra salary.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Just why?
It’s obviously not a likely scenario; however, it is hockey related, so why not post it?
This post was just an idea of getting look at how some players are valued.

Now it seem like the Hurricanes fans hate this offer, my next question would be if hypothetically Draisaitl were on a 6.5 million cap hit, would you still not be interested?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It’s obviously not a likely scenario; however, it is hockey related, so why not post it?
This post was just an idea of getting look at how some players are valued.

Now it seem like the Hurricanes fans hate this offer, my next question would be if hypothetically Draisaitl were on a 6.5 million cap hit, would you still not be interested?
I’d love Draisaitl on the Canes at his contract now. But I think one of Aho or Necas will fill that positional need, so I don’t think it is worth trading the assets necessary to get him. If I didn’t think either was capable of being a center, I’d do it.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
This proposal is difficult to understand for the Oilers.

EDM offers Draisaitl, already a strong proven 1C/2C for 2nd OA Svechnikov in hopes he becomes a better player. 10th + 2nd round for Hanifin - LHD seems to be good value, but the Oilers need RHD.

Canes finally get the coveted 1C, albeit expensive with term. Losing Hanifin hurts, but they might get more pieces if packaged separately. Doubt they make this deal to trade for an expensive player when the team has the fewest fans in the league and bleeding money.

A poor fit, both teams pass.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Bergevin comes in play and offers 3OA, Mete and Galchenyuk for Draisitl and 10OA

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
People think the 2nd overall is worth a lot more than Draisitl?

If Svechnikov puts up 70 and 77 point seasons before the age of 23 you would be estatic, let alone the fact one of them is a big bodied center while the other is a winger and magic beans at this point.

Maybe It doesn't fit in with Carolina's time frame i get that but it's likely Draisaitl is the better player at the end of the day who plays a more important position. He is getting paid what young players who put up almost 80 points gets paid.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If I am EDM I seriously consider this as PC has painted them in a corner regarding CAP space. You still have RNH who can play 2C. He certainly is not as good as Drai but you added two players either on ELC or in Hanifin's case just getting his first and you could likely lock him up for 6 for 4 million ish. Hanifin also has the ability to grow into a top end D.

Adding an elite winger in Svechnikov would be deadly.

As many have said Canes get their 1C which is much needed and can draft Bouchard or Dobson at 10 to replace Hannifin. Yes I am aware one plays LHD and the other RHD but if we have learned one thing RHD are usually harder to come by.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If I am EDM I seriously consider this as PC has painted them in a corner regarding CAP space. You still have RNH who can play 2C. He certainly is not as good as Drai but you added two players either on ELC or in Hanifin's case just getting his first and you could likely lock him up for 6 for 4 million ish. Hanifin also has the ability to grow into a top end D.

Adding an elite winger in Svechnikov would be deadly.

As many have said Canes get their 1C which is much needed and can draft Bouchard or Dobson at 10 to replace Hannifin. Yes I am aware one plays LHD and the other RHD but if we have learned one thing RHD are usually harder to come by.

If Hanifin is traded, it is because his demands are too big for the Canes, so forget about 4M$ ish.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually think it’s a really good proposal. And for those saying Svech has more value than Leon, that’s so false. Leon is essentially a very young franchise caliber C. You would be absolutely thrilled if Svech turns out to be that caliber of player.

I understand what kind of caliber prospect Svech is, but he’s still a prospect. Honestly him and Pulju were in a very similar tier in their respective draft years. Leon is a young known commodity which is a slam dunk.

Reactions: KarmaPolice and zar

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The Oilers are looking to add players who can contribute right now. They need a top RW, a middle 6 winger and a RHD PMD.
Trading Draisaitl for a player who might be as good as him doesn't make any sense.
I am on record stating I like Hanifin. A lot. However, he isn't what the Oilers are looking for.
I see that Carolina fans are saying they wouldn't do this trade... in my opinion they come out way ahead.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Oilers are looking to add players who can contribute right now. They need a top RW, a middle 6 winger and a RHD PMD.
Trading Draisaitl for a player who might be as good as him doesn't make any sense.
I am on record stating I like Hanifin. A lot. However, he isn't what the Oilers are looking for.
I see that Carolina fans are saying they wouldn't do this trade... in my opinion they come out way ahead.

It would hurt to lose Leon, but dealing him and adding Svech and Hanifin would be a pretty good return. Those are high end players that would round out your roster.

I also get passing on it. Leon is a huge stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad