WC: Surprises this world champs

Status
Not open for further replies.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
My guess is that he isn't 100% after the QMJHL playoffs, it was basically carrying the Mooseheads through the playoffs and was the target of a lot of physical play. That being said I was also a bit surprised that he didn't go.

Yeah, probably, but it just sounds so wrong when a 19 year old claims fatigue as the reason for not going to a tourney where 43 year old Jágr still looks pretty fresh. :laugh:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
So what are the big surprises this far?

I had no idea Jokipakka and Lindell were this good. Kemppainen's success is no surprise to me as a Kärpät fan.

The US are really gelling, interesting to see.

Also; had never heard of Genoni before. Solid play and interesting style.

I'd say let's wait till we play against a hockey team again. These last 3 games have been such a snoozefest

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Yeah, probably, but it just sounds so wrong when a 19 year old claims fatigue as the reason for not going to a tourney where 43 year old Jágr still looks pretty fresh. :laugh:

It's not exactly fatigue. He wants to bulk up for training camp and make the Jets in the fall.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Imagine if someone had predicted in 2009 that of the two Swedes the Oilers had drafted, Lander would break out while Paajarvi-Svensson wouldn't even be in the NHL anymore.

In 2009, sure, but Lander was never chopped liver himself. U18 & U20 WJC captain. MPS is a mystery, he was better at 18 than he is now..

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Nikolaj Ehlers declining the invitation due to fatigue had me pretty surprised.

My guess is that he isn't 100% after the QMJHL playoffs, it was basically carrying the Mooseheads through the playoffs and was the target of a lot of physical play. That being said I was also a bit surprised that he didn't go.

I Think it has more to do With him being told to bulk up by the Jets, and him really wanting to Comply With Said request to better his chances of a roster spot.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
A clear cut top 4 in Group A? Really? :) Switzerland lost to Austria and Latvia. They still have to play against Canada, Sweden and Czech Republic.

There is no clear cut top 4.

It's Saturday, 3 game-days left, but the play-off top 4 in Group "A" is pretty much settled. (It would take an utter miracle for the currently last-placed Austria to dislodge Switzerland from the no. 4 play-off spot.) That looks like a pretty clear-cut top 4 to me. :p:

Group "B" looks to be decided as well, but not quite. Slovakia's play-off chances are very slim, but not even a loss to Russia tomorrow will completely destroy them. Group B will be decided on Monday at the earliest, so as I said, Group B is so exciting mainly due to Slovakia losing points left and right where it shouldn't have lost any (such as in the Slovenia, Denmark and Norway games).

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Belarus are a surprise to me. I wouldn't have picked them to advance to the medal round.

I'm surprised that the number of nations that can ice competitive teams has virtually doubled in the last ten years. Hockey is on the rise.

KlichkoBro*

1.Belarus has lost in regulation only one game.
2.Thousands of kids and 1 krone tickets are gonna establish a new attendance record.
3.Kevin Lalande plays better than any NHL goalie except Rinne.
4. Kostitsyn brothers. They have grown as persons and became real leaders. Andrei recently praised the NHL in his interview and said that he wants back to the league.

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012
1.Belarus has lost in regulation only one game.
2.Thousands of kids and 1 krone tickets are gonna establish a new attendance record.
3.Kevin Lalande plays better than any NHL goalie except Rinne.
4. Kostitsyn brothers. They have grown as persons and became real leaders. Andrei recently praised the NHL in his interview and said that he wants back to the league.

2.? What the hell? You talk about the last championships in Belarus, right?

KlichkoBro*

2.? What the hell? You talk about the last championships in Belarus, right?
No. Belarus-Norway game:

1 krone ticket
20150512174419.jpg

Empty seats at the game that officially was sold-out:
20150512174345.jpg

quotes from the game thread:
Apparently lots of school kids in the audience (game started at noon), judging by the thin voices. :D And it looks like they're cheering on Norway! (To help Slovakia?)

To me it sounds like half of them aren't even following the game, but instead having fun with Bob and Bobek.

Bps21*

Now that they finished 1st in their group...I'm shocked that the U.S. finished 1st in their group. Got a lot more from their young players than I could have predicted.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Very pleasantly surprised by Lindell. I knew he had an incredible year but now that I'm actually getting to see him play I'm more impressed than I expected.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know if it's a surprise, but it's interesting how much better of a tournament Jack Eichel is having compared to the World Juniors.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I've been surprised that Russia is a 1 line team and that 1 line is the KHL line.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Can't believe the US won more than1 game. Really thought they were going to get rocked with their forwards. Hard work the great equalizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad