WC: Surprises this world champs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
So what are the big surprises this far?

I had no idea Jokipakka and Lindell were this good. Kemppainen's success is no surprise to me as a Kärpät fan.

The US are really gelling, interesting to see.

Also; had never heard of Genoni before. Solid play and interesting style.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So what are the big surprises this far?

I had no idea Jokipakka and Lindell were this good. Kemppainen's success is no surprise to me as a Kärpät fan.

The US are really gelling, interesting to see.

Also; had never heard of Genoni before. Solid play and interesting style.

Great atmosphere at the tournament.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
That's hardly a surprise as this tournament was predicted to break the all-time attendance record.

High attendance doesn't necessarily mean a great atmosphere.

The crowd is amazing !

Much better than at the NHL playoffs ! Canada has the greatest hockey players but not the best atmosphere :)

In fact, It was long since I last heard anything like this ...

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Biggest surpises so far have been 1) USA on track to top their group, and 2) Slovakia having so much trouble putting away weak teams (basically on home ice no less)

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Biggest surpises so far have been 1) USA on track to top their group, and 2) Slovakia having so much trouble putting away weak teams (basically on home ice no less)

I think the issue with Slovakia is the fact that we now unfortunately, more or less, belong to the weak teams.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I think the issue with Slovakia is the fact that we now unfortunately, more or less, belong to the weak teams.

Yeah, why is that? Are the defensemen not so good? Or is it the lower range of forwards that mess it up? Mentality? On paper forwards and goaltenders look pretty alright...

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
High attendance doesn't necessarily mean a great atmosphere.

The crowd is amazing !

Much better than at the NHL playoffs ! Canada has the greatest hockey players but not the best atmosphere :)

In fact, It was long since I last heard anything like this ...

I think people from Winnipeg and Calgary may take exception to your claim.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Yeah, why is that? Are the defensemen not so good? Or is it the lower range of forwards that mess it up? Mentality? On paper forwards and goaltenders look pretty alright...

Well, our team in general is weaker... It's not like it happened just yesterday, we have been regressing for a long time. Maybe we still belong to the top 8, but I guess you can't expect walking over somebody from us.

SlovanHC

Oct 24, 2012

2 is not a surprise at all. We are not the team we were 10 years ago. We have been regressing for a while and this was expected.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Well, our team in general is weaker... It's not like it happened just yesterday, we have been regressing for a long time. Maybe we still belong to the top 8, but I guess you can't expect walking over somebody from us.

But it seems like some decent players are coming up through the pipeline. You guys hadn't had prospects of the calibre of Dano, Cehlarik, Godla and Reway in quite some time. So hopefully for your sake you've already hit bottom. Tatar and Jurco also still have time to get better and better, Marincin is developing nicely. Gernat is a project, Detroit could turn Tvrdon into something.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
But it seems like some decent players are coming up through the pipeline. You guys hadn't had prospects of the calibre of Dano, Cehlarik, Godla and Reway in quite some time. So hopefully for your sake you've already hit bottom. Tatar and Jurco also still have time to get better and better, Marincin is developing nicely. Gernat is a project, Detroit could turn Tvrdon into something.

Yeah, that is indeed right, but that is a very small number of prospects.

hahahaa

May 25, 2008
As far as teams go, USA has played very well, I tought, they would struggle in this tourney. Belarus has been a nice surprise SO FAR. Also Denmark has fought hard their every game despite being very weak this year. On the other hand, Switzerland doesn't look good, also I expected more from France, but it seems that they struggle to score goals this time. As for players, I think Lindell, Mursak, Lalande are players that I have noticed to play surprisingly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad