Super Mario Odyssey

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Reminds me of sunshine and if it's half as fun as sunshine was I'll be buying the switch just for this

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
the old/new sonic game. looks great! this game, mario kart. zelda... tons of great games. I tried to preorder at best canada, I didn't know my visa verifcation info so I tried my mastercard. by then it was too late. I was a little annoyed but I have to relax. The console will be available after 3-4 months of the release.

Just go to Gamestop, you can preorder in the store.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This looks so amazingly fun. Ordered it along with Zelda, Splatoon 2, and FIFA (I can just cancel this if it ends up being gimped) on Amazon yesterday. I just cannot wait for this game. Going to be an utter blast.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I really hate the idea of Mario in a realistic setting.

Past that it looks fine. I've never been a quarter as big of a fan of the 3D Mario games as the 2D ones (this applies to all platformers) and I'm well aware I'm in an extreme minority with that stance...but I was hoping that this would be the Switch-seller for me and I feel pretty indifferent about it right now.

But it's one world.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
I really hate the idea of Mario in a realistic setting.

Past that it looks fine. I've never been a quarter as big of a fan of the 3D Mario games as the 2D ones (this applies to all platformers) and I'm well aware I'm in an extreme minority with that stance...but I was hoping that this would be the Switch-seller for me and I feel pretty indifferent about it right now.

You didn't like the Mario Galaxy games?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

This post wasn't directed at me, but I for one didn't like the Galaxy games much, and I'm a huge Super Mario 64 fan.

Maybe it's because I'm too old now, but the overly flashy and millions of colors and lights and flashing stuff and weird angles just got me nauseating.The same was somewhat true of Mario Kart Wii.

This one looks better on that front.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This post wasn't directed at me, but I for one didn't like the Galaxy games much, and I'm a huge Super Mario 64 fan.

Maybe it's because I'm too old now, but the overly flashy and millions of colors and lights and flashing stuff and weird angles just got me nauseating.The same was somewhat true of Mario Kart Wii.

This one looks better on that front.

I mean I liked Mario Galaxy, and personally was never that big on Mario 64, but I liked the open nature of the levels in 64. Mario Galaxy you picked a star to go for and it put you on rails to get it. Great platformer regardless but I didn't really like that design change.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are my favorite 3D Marios. I think those games are both outstanding.

After that I'd probably put Mario Sunshine. Underrated game.

Then I would put 3D World. Don't get me wrong, the game looked great and was decent fun. I don't know why, I just didn't like it as much as the others.

After that I would put Mario 64. I know this is a heretical opinion. It was definitely a groundbreaking game for its time, but I just don't feel it has held up as well as other games of the N64 era. Ocarina, Majora, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros., and Goldeneye all hold up better today, IMO. But when I try to play Mario 64 today, it just looks and feels so dated, the camera is annoying as hell, and I don't like the way the controls handle.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I honestly haven't played them enough to have an opinion about them. The Wii appealed to no part of me and the games came out when I really wasn't playing much of any video games anyway (only played an Uncharted game for the first time last year, for example).

Aside from the existence of motion controls (groan), the setting of Galaxy was definitely something that would interest me more than the other 3D Mario games and I probably should go back and play them considering I have a Wii U, but my general lack of enthusiasm for 3D platformers meant it was never too high on a backlog dominated by absurdly long JRPGs.

I've been re-playing my way through some of the old SNES 2D platformers, namely Super Mario World and the Donkey Kong Country games, and I'm having so much fun with them...still hate that those kind of games just stopped being made for so long. Suffice to say the lack of an open world wouldn't have been an issue with Galaxy for me...or any 3D platformer, really, especially considering every time I think of that concept I think of Donkey Kong 64, which may well be my most hated game of all-time.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are my favorite 3D Marios. I think those games are both outstanding.

Then I would put 3D World. Don't get me wrong, the game looked great and was decent fun. I don't know why, I just didn't like it as much as the others.

After that I would put Mario 64. I know this is a heretical opinion. It was definitely a groundbreaking game for its time, but I just don't feel it has held up as well as other games of the N64 era. Ocarina, Majora, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros., and Goldeneye all hold up better today, IMO. But when I try to play Mario 64 today, it just looks and feels so dated, the camera is annoying as hell, and I don't like the way the controls handle.

Think you need to play goldeneye again

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

I know video games are subjective.

But you're wrong.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
we all enjoyed the **** out of Goldeneye multiplayer (slappers only!), but it absolutely does NOT hold up better than anything on that list

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Think you need to play goldeneye again

I did just a couple years ago when I had a little reunion with an old group of high school buddies from back in the day.

You know what? Still fun as hell.

Others may disagree. But my opinion is it holds up. At least if you play with the right group of people.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I agree 100%, Mario 64 was a great thing for it's time but it's aged horribly and been surpassed by every 3D Mario that's happened since.

I don't think Goldeneye has aged well at all.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I think the difference for me is that Goldeneye is a social game (shines brightest in 4-player co-op multiplayer), whereas Mario 64 is a game you play alone.

So I think when you're playing alone, the flaws of an older game are more readily apparent.

But when you're playing an older game that's basically a social party game (like Goldeneye) the social aspect of it is still fun. The single-player campaign has probably aged horribly, but deathmatch with a group of buddies can still be fun. At least that's my experience. Actually, I find the 4-way splitscreen to actually be more bearable now on big modern televisions, than it was back in the 90s on smaller CRTs.

Again, this is just my honest opinion.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I think the difference for me is that Goldeneye is a social game (shines brightest in 4-player co-op multiplayer), whereas Mario 64 is a game you play alone.

So I think when you're playing alone, the flaws of an older game are more readily apparent.

But when you're playing an older game that's basically a social party game (like Goldeneye) the social aspect of it is still fun. The single-player campaign has probably aged horribly, but deathmatch with a group of buddies can still be fun. At least that's my experience. Actually, I find the 4-way splitscreen to actually be more bearable now on big modern televisions, than it was back in the 90s on smaller CRTs.

Again, this is just my honest opinion.

Sure. Which is why we still enjoy Mario Party 2-5. But Goldeneye itself doesn't hold up, only the multiplayer, which is the distinction. And that's fine.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
From what I've heard the singleplayer in goldeneye is alright if you use the mouse and keyboard hack on pj64. But if you play it on console the controls are just way too difficult now.

Kind of like jet force jemini. Best way to play it is the rare 30 games in 1 think on xbox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad