Super Mario Odyssey (Oct 27)

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Absolutely beautiful game, haven't played much yet, but the surrounding environment is absolutely stunning.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Am i going to have to drop 300 bucks on a switch just to play this? I hadn't been aware it was coming and that tweet video makes me think yes...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Beat the main story mode last night.

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

I dont know if I have smiled like this while playing a videogame ever.

My advice to everyeone is to beat the main story ASAP just to avoid spoilers.

You can tell this (and other games like Zelda) are being made by a new generation at Nintendo. If you're a 30 year old Nintendo fan, this game was disstilled in a lab to hit your brain's pleasure centres.

And hell, I love after you finish the main story the game makes it explicitly clear that there is lots more stuff to do yet.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Game is taking a back seat to Assassins Creed Origins for me but I am on the 4th world and really enjoying it when I do play.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Beat the main story mode last night.

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

I dont know if I have smiled like this while playing a videogame ever.

My advice to everyeone is to beat the main story ASAP just to avoid spoilers.

You can tell this (and other games like Zelda) are being made by a new generation at Nintendo. If you're a 30 year old Nintendo fan, this game was disstilled in a lab to hit your brain's pleasure centres.

And hell, I love after you finish the main story the game makes it explicitly clear that there is lots more stuff to do yet.

yeah, i'm not sure if Miyamoto took a step back (I keep hearing he tends to have a firm (and not often helpful) thumb on Zelda + Mario) - and just let these guys do their thing, or they just got a fresh wave of talent and creative people, but something obviously changed.

If i literally didn't have to move again, i would have gotten the system. I knew i said I was going to watch some playthroughs, but i can't. i want to discover this for myself.(Like zelda)

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
The single greatest thing about this game is how much it borrows from Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, while maintaining its own identity as a Mario game. You still get your technical Mario platforming (though not to the extent of previous games like SM64 and Galaxy), but the experience itself has more of an adventure platformer feel. Cappy is by far the best sidekick in a video game, and the gimmick of hijacking enemies to solve certain puzzles/platforming sections is a genius take on transformations.

Reactions: Taro Tsujimoto

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So playing this game a bit more and I can't help but feel like this game was made with a different intent. Like it was going to be a completely different game but they decided it should be a Mario game and just tossed in Mario and some goomba's.

I mean a lot of the worlds (to me) don't feel like Mario worlds. It's not in the mushroom kingdom at all. Trying not to give any spoilers but a lot of these baddies are brand new and I get the feeling that if it wasn't Mario tossing a cap around and instead some other original character shooting a gun or something this game would not be so well received.

Maybe I am just crazy.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
So playing this game a bit more and I can't help but feel like this game was made with a different intent. Like it was going to be a completely different game but they decided it should be a Mario game and just tossed in Mario and some goomba's.

I mean a lot of the worlds (to me) don't feel like Mario worlds. It's not in the mushroom kingdom at all. Trying not to give any spoilers but a lot of these baddies are brand new and I get the feeling that if it wasn't Mario tossing a cap around and instead some other original character shooting a gun or something this game would not be so well received.

Maybe I am just crazy.

well Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 weren't in the sunshine kingdom at all either. (though the baddies were the same)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I sincerely doubt Nintendo poured millions into development of a completely original 3D platformer for their new console only to slap Mario's likeness on it at the last second.

Doki Doki Panic doesn't happen in 2017.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
well Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 weren't in the sunshine kingdom at all either. (though the baddies were the same)
I get that. It's not just that. Those games actually felt like a Mario game.

I sincerely doubt Nintendo poured millions into development of a completely original 3D platformer for their new console only to slap Mario's likeness on it at the last second.

Doki Doki Panic doesn't happen in 2017.
Not saying it was some last second change. Maybe it was some new game they have been tossing around the idea of shooting and you can become one of the baddies with their abilities and how much fun it would be to do that in some cartoony real-world-esque places like deserts, jungles, cities... etc. Eventually deciding it would make a fun Mario game? I don't know. It's one of first Mario games I can remember that relates to the real world so much with its characters.

Again, I may be crazy and I still think it's a great game but I hold that if you take away Mario, some of the Mario baddies and have the exact same game with a different character people wouldn't think much of it and nobody would see it as a Mario type game.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I get that. It's not just that. Those games actually felt like a Mario game.

Not saying it was some last second change. Maybe it was some new game they have been tossing around the idea of shooting and you can become one of the baddies with their abilities and how much fun it would be to do that in some cartoony real-world-esque places like deserts, jungles, cities... etc. Eventually deciding it would make a fun Mario game? I don't know. It's one of first Mario games I can remember that relates to the real world so much with its characters.

Again, I may be crazy and I still think it's a great game but I hold that if you take away Mario, some of the Mario baddies and have the exact same game with a different character people wouldn't think much of it and nobody would see it as a Mario type game.

that's fair. i get what you are saying.
my one gamer friend said this was a very "meh" game.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
This is a pretty standard knock against Nintendo games. Replace Mario/Link/Pokemon/Samus with some generic character and people wouldn't like it as much.

Yes. Take away all the charm, nostalgia and artistic direction and sure, the games wouldn't get nearly as much praise.

:dunno:

Reactions: Bozle

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
This is a pretty standard knock against Nintendo games. Replace Mario/Link/Pokemon/Samus with some generic character and people wouldn't like it as much.

Yes. Take away all the charm, nostalgia and artistic direction and sure, the games wouldn't get nearly as much praise.

:dunno:
Well it's not just the characters. It's the gameplay and environments too. Its Mario not in the mushroom kingdom with tons of new baddies and companions and a lot of different gameplay. Charm, nostalgia, art direction... etc. are a lot more than just characters. In this case it kind of is just the characters that are the only thing similar between this and other Mario games. Almost everything else is different.

Nintendo lives and dies by how well it handles these nostalgic characters. I get that. They don't do much in the way of new IP's and that's fine. But it seems like the only way they get these new ideas for gameplay / environments to come across as fun is to just toss a Nintendo character into it.

Espeically with BOTW which had some new characters and new gameplay Nintendo is evolving which is good. But yeah, take out that charm and those characters and people wouldn't think much of these games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well it's not just the characters. It's the gameplay and environments too. Its Mario not in the mushroom kingdom with tons of new baddies and companions and a lot of different gameplay. Charm, nostalgia, art direction... etc. are a lot more than just characters. In this case it kind of is just the characters that are the only thing similar between this and other Mario games. Almost everything else is different.

Nintendo lives and dies by how well it handles these nostalgic characters. I get that. They don't do much in the way of new IP's and that's fine. But it seems like the only way they get these new ideas for gameplay / environments to come across as fun is to just toss a Nintendo character into it.

Espeically with BOTW which had some new characters and new gameplay Nintendo is evolving which is good. But yeah, take out that charm and those characters and people wouldn't think much of these games.

I kind of doubt that. Certainly there'd be a sales hit because you'd lose the big marketing brand boost being a Zelda or a Mario, but are you telling me the sheer quality of the games wouldn't shine through? Because no one beats Nintendo when it comes to quality.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I kind of doubt that. Certainly there'd be a sales hit because you'd lose the big marketing brand boost being a Zelda or a Mario, but are you telling me the sheer quality of the games wouldn't shine through? Because no one beats Nintendo when it comes to quality.
That was not my original point here (which was that Mario Odyssey seems like it was MAYBE not designed as a Mario game at first) but yes. If BOTW came out and had some brand new character, nothing Zelda related in it but was the same art style, gameplay... I mean identical game but without Zelda themed anything or characters I think it wouldn't be as well received.

I am not saying the quality wouldn't be there or anything. Heck, look at Mario Sports Allstars for the 3DS. Great game, very fun, super high quality, perfect for a mobile sports-esque game. But take Mario characters out of that game and it easily sells a lot less and isn't as well received.

Trying not to get too far off topic here. Long story short, nostalgia sells games and bumps ratings. Not sure it can be proven either way but that's what I believe.

Habsfan22100

Jul 14, 2009
That was not my original point here (which was that Mario Odyssey seems like it was MAYBE not designed as a Mario game at first) but yes. If BOTW came out and had some brand new character, nothing Zelda related in it but was the same art style, gameplay... I mean identical game but without Zelda themed anything or characters I think it wouldn't be as well received.

I am not saying the quality wouldn't be there or anything. Heck, look at Mario Sports Allstars for the 3DS. Great game, very fun, super high quality, perfect for a mobile sports-esque game. But take Mario characters out of that game and it easily sells a lot less and isn't as well received.

Trying not to get too far off topic here. Long story short, nostalgia sells games and bumps ratings. Not sure it can be proven either way but that's what I believe.

Coming from someone who had never played a Zelda game before and to whom the Zelda name meant nothing, I completely disagree. I love the game and it has absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Coming from someone who had never played a Zelda game before and to whom the Zelda name meant nothing, I completely disagree. I love the game and it has absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia.
I think you are just trying to argue here? Maybe not but I didn't say it wouldn't still be a good game. I said it wouldn't be as well received. AKA I doubt it would have gotten the same attention / ratings and sales. I never said that it still wouldn't be seen as a great game.

There are lots of amazing games out there that if you slapped a Mario or Halo label on it would sell more and probably get better ratings. That doesn't mean they are bad games without that branding. I am just saying they are influential in perception.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Great game.
I was a little disappointed with Peach's Castle though. It's like Cinderella's castle in Disneyland; all show with very little actually inside. :laugh:

Reactions: Pilky01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad