Super Mario Odyssey (Oct 27)

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Beat the main story mode last night.

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

I dont know if I have smiled like this while playing a videogame ever.

My advice to everyeone is to beat the main story ASAP just to avoid spoilers.

You can tell this (and other games like Zelda) are being made by a new generation at Nintendo. If you're a 30 year old Nintendo fan, this game was disstilled in a lab to hit your brain's pleasure centres.

And hell, I love after you finish the main story the game makes it explicitly clear that there is lots more stuff to do yet.

All of this.

I was kind of taking my time, but I started getting wary of spoilers so I finished plowing through it today. Absolutely amazing. What a love letter to Mario, Nintendo, and gaming.

Reactions: Pilky01

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Yes, but if you have a Target red card, you can save 5% on the system and game.

I hated the lost kingdom though, that level couldn't end fast enough for me.

It took me an absurd/embarrassing amount of time to figure out to ground pound the gold towers to make the stairs move.....

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I kind of doubt that. Certainly there'd be a sales hit because you'd lose the big marketing brand boost being a Zelda or a Mario, but are you telling me the sheer quality of the games wouldn't shine through? Because no one beats Nintendo when it comes to quality.

Their quality still amazes me. Especially this year with how over the moon BOTW and Mario are.

So many other developers, even the good ones, don’t regularly release games with the level of polish Nintendo is doing right now.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Their quality still amazes me. Especially this year with how over the moon BOTW and Mario are.

So many other developers, even the good ones, don’t regularly release games with the level of polish Nintendo is doing right now.

Yeah sadly it's just the way the industries gone. Majority of the dev studios have been bought up by a few big publishers who follow the quarterly profit obsessed North American corporate culture. Nintendo is about the loan hold out with both the budget and expertise to make high end console games with where the first priority is quality and fun.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Currently in Mushroom Kingdom, the game is a 7.5/10 from me. Due to the number of moons, there's a lot of replayability, but it seemed...short.

I like the game and the mechanics for the most part, I just struggle with 3d platformers due to the camera angles, and a peculiarity of SMO, which is the reliance on motion controls to get the most benefit out of the moves, which is a PITA, as I've been playing my Switch as a handheld for the most part.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Currently in Mushroom Kingdom, the game is a 7.5/10 from me. Due to the number of moons, there's a lot of replayability, but it seemed...short.

I like the game and the mechanics for the most part, I just struggle with 3d platformers due to the camera angles, and a peculiarity of SMO, which is the reliance on motion controls to get the most benefit out of the moves, which is a PITA, as I've been playing my Switch as a handheld for the most part.

Valid criticisms. I do feel like it's a world or two short. I know my 7 year old son really struggles with the camera angles in 3D platformers.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yeah, the game is really good, it just hasn't blown me away like it has for some. I'd still take SM64 over it anyday. Just feels like most of the moons are hanging around, it lacks the sense of accomplishment that 64 or even Sunshine had. The soundtrack, graphics, and especially the controls, however, are phenomenal. Mario controls like buttah.

The very last "challenge" run is f***ing insane. Still haven't beaten it.

Btw the Mario 64 costume is the greatest thing ever.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I finished the game last night.

I think like Zelda it has the I can see why it's soo amazing.... BUT.
for Zelda the BUT was the incredibly easy boss (somewhat lack of story, though understandable, because open world) and then love it/hate it weapon durability.

For Mario - i can see why it's so amazing. BUT
it's short. (yah a huge chunk of the game opens up after you beat it , however it's like waiting for the special scene after the credits). a HUGE chunk of the game shouldn't open up. it's one thing if it was a DLC and it just adds onto the huge long story. i shouldn't be able to zoom through the main story, and be like oh look , now more stuff.

i liked the mission layouts in M64/Sunshine better here - like you go into the painting/pain splat and you could see other objectives, heck you could do them if you wanted to, but there was a slight path you could do. here, some of the moons were just so completely ramdomized. I kinda liked/don't like that. Wasn't a huge fan of the Bunny bosses. (i mean. in this massive love letter to Mario's past - why not have boomboom/koopalings in here?

the ending was really funny/sweet. i'll probably putter around more, but now its time to play FE: Warriors.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
After you beat the 'main story' missions, when you go back to collect the rest of the moons it kinda just feels like you're running around just butt-stomping the ground and throwing your hat at things over and over. Not exactly riveting gameplay.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
After you beat the 'main story' missions, when you go back to collect the rest of the moons it kinda just feels like you're running around just butt-stomping the ground and throwing your hat at things over and over. Not exactly riveting gameplay.

yeah. it really feels like they designed the game - and then realised it was way too short, then added all this extra stuff in, but it feels extra-stuff(y). it doesn't feel organic to the game play.

Reactions: Pilky01

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

It's giving me flashbacks of Nier Automata (another good, but short game); so while it's fleshing out the story a bit, you're rehashing the same ground, and it's grindy.

Can't remember if the Jaxi was available the first time through, but I was like 'oh, that's I get over there!'. And a Peach Amiibo just makes the game super easy. TBH, I had a bigger sense of awe with Super Mario 3D World when I first played that, because it just filled me with nostalgia, SMO isn't doing that.

BoTW is still my GOTY.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It's giving me flashbacks of Nier Automata (another good, but short game); so while it's fleshing out the story a bit, you're rehashing the same ground, and it's grindy.

Can't remember if the Jaxi was available the first time through, but I was like 'oh, that's I get over there!'. And a Peach Amiibo just makes the game super easy. TBH, I had a bigger sense of awe with Super Mario 3D World when I first played that, because it just filled me with nostalgia, SMO isn't doing that.

BoTW is still my GOTY.

Jaxi was available the first time through. he was fun.
When it first came out my friend was adament that the game was Meh.
While I won't say it is Meh - like i said in the nintendo thread - it's not LOVE either. It's firmly. a Mario game, a (imo) play it and enjoy it game. like I feel Galaxy 1 is better, but maybe on the same Tier with Galaxy 2 (maybe G2 beating it by a nose).

Breath of the Wild is def. my GOTY. like i am itchy that i can't play this again. and I've beaten it like 3 times.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah BOTW is definitely still my GOTY.

And yeah, I am almost starting to wonder if I didn't enjoy 3D World more than Odyssey. But that said I liked 3D World a lot more than most seemed to. I actually kinda adored 3D World. I really hope it gets ported to Switch.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
The game looks like a lot of fun! I can't wait to get a Switch someday and I'll definitely be getting this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad