Post-Game Talk: Sun. March 10th: Capitals v. Thrashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Since Jensen started playing Caps have given up 14 goals (five came in his first game) in 7 games.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Who cares what Thrasher fans think. Our PK straight up owns their 6-4, 5-4, 5-3, 9-2, 60-1, whatever.

With a backup goalie

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Obligatory stat post: the Jets first line of Laine-Schifele-Wheeler were a cool 20% CF while the Backstrom line was around 80% going up against them. Just a fantastic effort from 13-19-77.

Backstrom really deserves a Selke. Meanwhile, with Backstrom on the team, Kuzy can get away with sleep walking thru this season.

Another reminder that the idea that Kuzy made Backstrom expendable was stupid.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
BTW, in the last month we've beaten the division leading SJS (5-1) the division leading Jets (3-1), and the division leading(at the time) Isles (3-1). We'll get three shots at division leading TB coming up, but we have shown we can get our effort in gear when playing good teams. 3 goals allowed in 3 games vs division leaders.

I like our defense.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Anyone know what our PK is in past 7 games since Hags\Jensen have started playing together?

2 pp goals allowed in 7 games.

Rangers 1 for 4
Sens 1 for 1
Isles 0 for 2
Rangers 0 for 2
Flyers 0 for 1
Devils 0 for 6
Jets 0 for 5

edit: kicksave did the work.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Did you even watch this game? Copley was good but he didnt have to be spectacular. His team helped him out a lot by keeping the Jets to the outside and they also were jumping on the rebounds. The team defense was solid tonight.

Reactions: rlkaejrl

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Thought that was one of their better games in terms of structure. They didn’t offer a ton offensively but Winnipeg were frustrated offensively as well.

Great effort by everyone but Kuznetsov and Ovechkin. Kuznetsov was holy shit levels of terribad.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It only sticks out if we completely ignore the 5 million different studies demonstrating zero correlation between FO % and winning.
Losing a faceoff isnt the end of the world but there are times when it can cost you. A lot of goals are created from faceoff wins.
I would guess that the zero correlation FO% and wins is because the difference in faceoff % from one team to another isnt that great. The Caps are last in the league and are still not that far below 50%.
If a team had a percentage of 30% for an entire season then I'm sure you would see a difference.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yup. Saw the whole thing. Ok...I didn't watch between periods.
Then you know I am speaking the truth. Anyone that saw the game could see that the team defense in front of Copley was very good. Or is that too difficult for you to grasp?

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Orlov with several pizzas and terrible defending at the blue line...tipsy

less suck decent win

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Losing a faceoff isnt the end of the world but there are times when it can cost you. A lot of goals are created from faceoff wins.
I would guess that the zero correlation FO% and wins is because the difference in faceoff % from one team to another isnt that great. The Caps are last in the league and are still not that far below 50%.
If a team had a percentage of 30% for an entire season then I'm sure you would see a difference.

A lot of goals are created from faceoff losses and good forecheck too. Whats the correlative stat for that? Some shorthanded goals are created by a clean FO loss then a blocked shot and a breakaway. For every clean FO win that leads to a clean one timer for a goal, there is a converse play which nullifies it statistically.

For a whole season, the differentials are close but they still don't correlate. But more importantly, even within a game where the FO differential can be 40, 40, 60% points different, there is still no correlation. Go back as far as you want to this season (or for all time). The Caps beat the Leafs easily, but lost FO by 68-32%. The Caps beat the Flyers easily, but lost FO% 70-30. The Caps lost badly to the Sabres, but won FO% 58-42. I could go on and on, its been like this for all time history for all teams across all seasons. There in no large or small scale correlation, and I don't think any team has finished at 30% FO for a season but I don't care enough to look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad