Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You know I love Dybala, but he’s not the presser Firmino is and Firmino may be an even more lethal passer...even though Dybala is clearly the superior forward nonetheless
I must under-rate Griezmann cause I’d rather have Dybala or Firmino moving forward :dunno:

Not every single thing true but what matters more anyway for a forward.

You mean Firmino's 27 goals and 17 assists to Dybala's 26 goals and 7 assists? Even though Dybala is a goal scorer and that's not Firmino's primary duty? Not to mention 4 of those goals are penalty kicks. Then on top of it Firmino's contribution all over the field is worlds above Dybala's.

But yeah, keep thinking Dybala is better. Firmino is one of the most underrated players in the world. He's as much responsible for Liverpool's success as Salah, probably moreso.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/141545063/

I'll leave this here again and you can tell me which player is which. Here's hint neither is Memphis. Dybala's primary duty is to create actually so... at least get that right. LOL at worlds above Dybala. You're delusional.

Even right now I might prefer Dybala. Griezmann is the more lethal poacher off the ball, and Firmino the more impactful player against it, while being at least as creative when passing it; but if I needed someone to create a goal I'd rather have the ball on Dybala's foot than either of them. He needs the most specific role from a coach to thrive at the moment...as Firmino is one of the most flexible players on the planet and Griezmann's game is easy to fit into most attacks...but if I have to pick one of these three to build my team's attack around right now, I'm going with the argentine.

Dybala is slightly better than Griezman right now... although both are held back because of an uber defensive coach. I'd like to see both get unleashed.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Memphis love is starting to get genuinely disgusting because everyone on this board except one person knows that he isn't that good. Player who had a whack at Manchester United and failed, first got to Lyon didn't do great. Definition of one season wonder who couldn't hold any of these players jock straps, based on when he played in a league with many good players, and COMPLETELY FAILED.

He also has the Balotelli feature of you not knowing if he'll be good or not on any given team has goes to. Let's see him play for Everton or Milan or some team like that, a team without Fekir. Or stay at Lyon and prove this one year wasn't a fluke.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not every single thing true but what matters more anyway for a forward.

I'll leave this here again and you can tell me which player is which. Here's hint neither is Memphis. Dybala's primary duty is to create actually so... at least get that right. LOL at worlds above Dybala. You're delusional.

Dybala is slightly better than Griezman right now... although both are held back because of an uber defensive coach. I'd like to see both get unleashed.

I'll waffle on whether Dybala or Firmino is the better playmaker depending on when you ask me, but Firmino really is a special creator to...and how Brazil haven't figured out how to play him, Jesus, Coutinho & Neymar all in the same team, baffles me. I would be scared by them if Tite had them playing something like a:

Gabriel Jesus
Coutinho - Firmino - Neymar
Fernandinho/Fred - Fabinho
Marcelo - Silva - Marquinhos - Danilo
----------------------------------------
Jesus - Neymar
Marcelo - Coutinho - Firmino - Willian
Fabinho/Fernandinho
Luiz - Silva - Marquinhos​

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
The Memphis love is starting to get genuinely disgusting because everyone on this board except one person knows that he isn't that good. Player who had a whack at Manchester United and failed, first got to Lyon didn't do great. Definition of one season wonder who couldn't hold any of these players jock straps, based on when he played in a league with many good players, and COMPLETELY FAILED.

He also has the Balotelli feature of you not knowing if he'll be good or not on any given team has goes to. Let's see him play for Everton or Milan or some team like that, a team without Fekir. Or stay at Lyon and prove this one year wasn't a fluke.

Not that I disagree with the premise that Memphis is on a hot streak he probably cannot maintain, but it's important to note that his streak started while Fekir was injured. He missed five games in March-April and after not doing much in the first two games, Memphis scored the last minute winner against Marseille, then two against Toulouse and finally a goal and four assists against Metz. If we're to look at the following game against Amiens during which Fekir returned from injury and played the last 15 minutes, Memphis added another goal and another assist.

I think it's easy to push the negative narrative against Memphis, and he's definitely responsible for the way he's perceived. However, this season, he's been the one that rose to the occasion most of the time when Lyon needed a big goal. Fekir has a few as well, but Memphis scored last minute winners against PSG and Marseille, scored a hat-trick to secure CL next year in the last game against Nice, and generally played a major part in the late season surge that put OL in a CL spot. There's holes in his game that have been spoken about at large here, but he's a credible option for big European clubs (outside the top 5).

As a Lyon supporter, I hope he stays another year at least and proves this isn't a fluke. However if a team is crazy enough to throw 50+ at Aulas for him, he takes it and runs, as he should. Anyhow, I think Liverpool can aim for better players if they're looking for starters, Fekir first (although I'd rather he just stay with OL).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Depay didn't have a great season. He had a great half season. So half season wonder is the right word.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Leipzig have bid on Saracchi... who's apparently been great for River plate.

Also read ADM is on his way to Napoli but sources aren't great.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Leipzig have bid on Saracchi... who's apparently been great for River plate.

Also read ADM is on his way to Napoli but sources aren't great.
United sold Di Maria and never bought a replacement for him or someone to fill the position he was bought for... just wanted to throw that out there but he would probably do really well in Italy

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Rodri goes to Atleti for 20 million what a f***ing steal.

Long term replacement for Gabi and maybe even after Saul leaves?

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

but he's Dutch

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

One season wonder? Memphis has always been a heralded talent. He dominated at the Netherlands youth levels, dominated the Eredivisie at a young age, and then burst onto the scene at the World Cup as a 20 year old (in 2015 before his move to United many places had him ranked among the top 5 best young players in the world). He stumbled at United probably due to a lot of factors (age, wealth, terrible team set up, new league) and then wasn't given another chance even though he showed flashes of brilliance with United as well (specifically in Europe). When he got to Lyon he 'didn't do great' but managed 5 goals and 8 assists in the equivalent of 13 games worth of minutes (really, really not great to guarantee a goal or assist for nearly every 90 minutes you play). Then this season there was all kinds of issues with the team, but he put his head down and kept working at it and went on to be one of the most productive players in the league (behind only Neymar, Cavani and Thauvin) and probably the most influential player for Lyon in the second half of the season securing them a very important run in to the CL.

He's done well at every team he's played minus one season at United where they were under transition, playing negative football for a coach nobody rates, and when he was 20/21 and had just moved to a top league.

I remember all the same kind of garbage talk about Firmino for Liverpool in his first season under Rodgers, and even last season people didn't think he was good enough (he's not the only one, but a fresh example). But some things never change.
but he's Dutch
Tru tru. Plenty of obtuse, unsubstantiated arguments can be summed up by this for sure.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I actually don't hate the idea of Memphis, but I think it would be a big risk that Liverpool does not necessarily need to be taking at this stage of their development. Fekir is the right player from Lyon for them to sign.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
L.Martinez is in Milan undergoing his medical. Will be interesting if his move is now or in January. Also if it's now will it mean Icardi is leaving? You gotta think if Greizz leaves Atleti, Icardi swims to Madrid to link up with Simeone.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
L.Martinez is in Milan undergoing his medical. Will be interesting if his move is now or in January. Also if it's now will it mean Icardi is leaving? You gotta think if Greizz leaves Atleti, Icardi swims to Madrid to link up with Simeone.
I think Icardi stays at least another year with Inter in CL. Atletico will have capital, but will need to find someone that can play with Diego Costa

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Apparently Fred is in Manchester doing his medical for United. From Fabrizio Romano (sky sports) actually reading the actual tweet it just says deal done and medical happening soon

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Firmino was incredibly unlucky last season; his graphs actually show that his season this year is nearly identical to last season (if anything he should have scored more last season).

frqys.jpg

Using league + continental stats:

2013/14 - Firmino: 16g, 11a - Dybala: 5g, 6a (in Italy's 2nd league)
2014/15 - Firmino: 7g, 10a - Dybala: 13g, 10a
2015/16 - Firmino: 11g, 9a - Dybala: 19g, 9a
2016/17 - Firmino: 11g, 7a - Dybala: 15g, 7a
2017/18 - Firmino: 26g, 15a - Dybala: 23g, 5a

Firmino was better in 13/14 and he was better in 16/17 and has been much better this year (especially in the CL). Not only is he now more productive, but his off the ball work is miles better than Dybala (or any other forward for that matter). Firmino > Dybala.

I actually don't hate the idea of Memphis, but I think it would be a big risk that Liverpool does not necessarily need to be taking at this stage of their development. Fekir is the right player from Lyon for them to sign.
Yeah, I mean like I said before I never said that he was as good as or better than Dybala or Fekir, just that he was a personal preference due to fit, age and specific attributes. He would be a risk, and it's not even a link or likely player that we'd get anyway. I'll be confident in whoever they choose at this point though as they've been incredible in the transfer market of late.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hilarious that you include preseasons and glorious cups such as the caribou cup... Firmino had a better 16-17 year despite Dybala scoring more taking his team to the finals and being a balon D'or finalist? You're even funny than I thought.

Probably the best part of your post is comparing Dybala as 20 year old to Firmino 22 in 2014. Like I delusional.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hilarious that you include preseasons and glorious cups such as the caribou cup... Firmino had a better 16-17 year despite Dybala scoring more taking his team to the finals and being a balon D'or finalist? You're even funny than I thought.

Probably the best part of your post is comparing Dybala as 20 year old to Firmino 22 in 2014. Like I delusional.
What? I wasn't including any cups except Continental ones and domestic league production. Nice try though. Yes, Firmino was better in 16/17. Not sure what Dybala playing on the better team has to do with that.

Delusional indeed. What's the excuse for Firmino's better production this year? Dybala is sad because Buffon is retiring? Not that Firmino needs to be more productive to be better considering he provides much more off the ball, but anyway.

Also worth noting that Dybala has scored 17 penalties over the last 4 seasons. Firmino has scored 1. Taking a PK is a skill, and you still have to score it, but it certainly helps paint the picture of their contributions from open play.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What? I wasn't including any cups except Continental ones and domestic league production. Nice try though. Yes, Firmino was better in 16/17. Not sure what Dybala playing on the better team has to do with that.

Delusional indeed. What's the excuse for Firmino's better production this year? Dybala is sad because Buffon is retiring? Not that Firmino needs to be more productive to be better considering he provides much more off the ball, but anyway.

2016 Firmino had 11 goals in the league you hilariously added the caribou goals/assists...

He was better yet Dybala had more production and was the number one reason why they steam rolled barca? Sure thing. Being on a better team makes you a finalist for the balon do'r... lool.

Yeah, his first season to outscore him by 3 goals. Disregard everything else... Checkout the minutes played too in the league alone Dybala played about 500 less minutes. This due to injury mostly. So yeah lol indeed. Continue to scoreboard watch on Dybala and jerk off to Memphis.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
2016 Firmino had 11 goals in the league you hilariously added the caribou goals/assists...

Actually I just mixed up the years. I added 1g 2a for the Europa League but they were supposed to go on 15/16 not 16/17. So it would be 11g 7a in 16/17 and 11g 9a in 15/16.

I was going to adjust the stats for the 17 penalties that Dybala scored to Firmino's 1 but eh...they're all goals. Though that is to say over the last 4 seasons Firmino has scored 1 more goal from open play than Dybala, and 10 more assists.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
How come this thread ALWAYS becomes some Liverpool player vs some superstar player and ONE person defending the Liverpool? Just stop feeding him and he will stop derailing threads.

Reactions: Evilo and Fro

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
  • Riqui Puig: "Thanks Culés for the trust and support. It makes me very happy to continue in the best club in the world and learn from the best. Visca el Barça." Smart lad. Sounds like Pimienta, Gerard Lopez's replacement at the helm of the B team, is going to focus on home-grown talent more and he might have had an influence here. He's also got the results moving in the right direction which could mean safety and thus Puig gets Segunda ball next season.
  • In other good news, Madrid have apparently signed two players thought destined for Barça. One from Girona and I don't remember where the other was from. Either way it will hopefully keep the focus on the canteranos the club already has.
  • As @Duchene2MacKinnon noted, Atleti have signed Rodri. Excellent signing at that price and this is what I was referring to in the Europa League thread. They're stacked with midfield talent already and now him. Watch, they'll sign Fabian next.
  • Atleti's new shirt marketing doesn't include Griezmann.
  • Timo Werner: "World Cup not about auditioning for Real Madrid, Liverpool." I can only assume he's auditioning for Barça then.
  • Rumor out there that supposedly started in L'Equipe that Rabiot won't renew with PSG and he's only got a year on his current deal.
  • Apparently PSG want 80 million for Guedes, in which case he won't be back at Valencia.
  • Iniesta is not joining the J-League club Vissel Kobe after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad