Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Given the recent quotes of Alexis, how long before he abandon ships United?

Can't say I expected him to mesh too well with Mourinho. Not that I consider that by any means a unique stance. His contract is for four-and-a-half years though, I'm sure it's a bit early to be coming to conclusions about a possible departure. I suppose the question may relate more to how long Mourinho will last there, though the team seems to be sticking with him for now. We may be a bit wiser come end of season.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It’ll be interesting to see how Ibra does. He wasn’t very good with United this season but then again Schweinsteiger wasn’t either and he came in and made Chicago a playoff team so

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It’ll be interesting to see how Ibra does. He wasn’t very good with United this season but then again Schweinsteiger wasn’t either and he came in and made Chicago a playoff team so
The gulf in quality of the leagues is night and day. I'm sure that he'll do very well.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

He’ll be a superstar there. His lack of pace won’t be an issue and he’d be the most talented player in the league. He’ll kill it.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The gulf in quality of the leagues is night and day. I'm sure that he'll do very well.
The problem is the quality might be different but the MLS relies on physical attributes rather than skill especially at striker. He will be fine in the strength department but speed worries me.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He’ll be a superstar there. His lack of pace won’t be an issue and he’d be the most talented player in the league. He’ll kill it.

It’s the pace that worries me. Technically one of the very best and I have no doubt he will score goals but his pace will be an issue.

The MLS summed is what they lack in skill, they make up for in physical attributes like speed and strength. Obviously Zlatan’s strength will be absolutely fine but his speed will be a problem.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It’s the pace that worries me. Technically one of the very best and I have no doubt he will score goals but his pace will be an issue.

The MLS summed is what they lack in skill, they make up for in physical attributes like speed and strength. Obviously Zlatan’s strength will be absolutely fine but his speed will be a problem.

I don’t think it will. He’ll be so much better and smarter than every player in the MLS that once shouldn’t hamper him much IMO. Unless his team plans on feeding him through balls the entire game, then that could be an issue.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

You think that the EPL doesn't have its fair share of 'speed and strength'? Or France?

I think you're overrating the athletes in the MLS compared to other leagues.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don’t think it will. He’ll be so much better and smarter than every player in the MLS that once shouldn’t hamper him much IMO. Unless his team plans on feeding him through balls the entire game, then that could be an issue.
I really haven’t watched the Galaxy this season (hate the Galaxy) but with Alessandrini and the dos Santos brothers, he very well could just sit in the box and feed on crosses and he won’t be playing every game as the Galaxy just traded a lot to get Ola Kamara.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You think that the EPL doesn't have its fair share of 'speed and strength'? Or France?

I think you're overrating the athletes in the MLS compared to other leagues.
I think you’re underrating the athletes. The EPL and France definitely have their athletes but honestly it’s a night in and night out competition. Now I did just remember Zlatan won’t be playing every game but still. I feel like his time will be similar to United where he spends half his time injured.

Would love to be proven wrong though so let’s just wait and see

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
On the bright side it'd be impossible for him to be less popular with Galaxy fans than Gio dos Santos is or Gerrard was.

My expectations are limited overall, but I do eagerly anticipate the couple games where he'll inevitably just toy with the opposition.

Reactions: Gecklund

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think you’re underrating the athletes. The EPL and France definitely have their athletes but honestly it’s a night in and night out competition. Now I did just remember Zlatan won’t be playing every game but still. I feel like his time will be similar to United where he spends half his time injured.

I don't think there's anything true in this, but to each his own. Plenty of washed up stars (or players who couldn't handle top European leagues), well past their physical peaks, have gone to the MLS and thrived. The 'speed and strength' of that league is nothing to leagues like the EPL, France, etc.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't think there's anything true in this, but to each his own. Plenty of washed up stars (or players who couldn't handle top European leagues), well past their physical peaks, have gone to the MLS and thrived. The 'speed and strength' of that league is nothing to leagues like the EPL, France, etc.
And the MLS has also been rapidly growing and getting better.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Plenty of washed up stars have come over and been godawful too.

If Steven Gerrard wants to come back to LA that lazy ****er better wear a helmet :laugh:
Well I mean, you can see the difference in effort and dedication to actually doing well in the league between say someone like Gerrard and Lampard.

I mean...the top players of the league are guys like Villa, Alessandrini, Piatti and Giovinco...

I'm sure that Zlatan can play there until he's 45 if he wants to.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well I mean, you can see the difference in effort and dedication to actually doing well in the league between say someone like Gerrard and Lampard.

Most definitely. Gerrard wound up being the classic example of a retirement contract, only signed because of Liverpool rightly moving on from him. Everyone sorta expected Lampard to be the one to do that, but the proof is in the pudding with those two. Both got hurt rather quickly; one battled back and put in the work, while the other flew back-and-forth halfway around the world for an analyst gig while his teammates played.

Gerrard's head was never in the MLS, it was always with Liverpool. That kind of loyalty is awesome if you're on that side of it, and infuriating on this side. I definitely am not worried about loyalty being a thing with Ibra, one way or another...

Reactions: YNWA14

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I mean...the top players of the league are guys like Villa, Alessandrini, Piatti and Giovinco...

I'm sure that Zlatan can play there until he's 45 if he wants to.

Um, obviously Zlatan will be successful here, and it's obviously untrue that he will be able to play there until he's 40 (see Pirlo), but it is true that his pace will be a factor to some extent.

I'd actually be quite surprised if he was even top three in goal scoring due to lack of pace. His greatest impacts will come from passing and creating for other players, like Higuain in Columbus. His team has quite a few fast players who can do the running for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad