Summer Prediction: Does Jeff Blashill finish the 17/18 season as HC?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You act like Todd Nelson has been bad in the NHL when in 30ish games he had great success with a worse Edmonton team than this current Detroit team. If McDavid doesn't get drafted, and they don't do this brand new everything ********, Todd Nelson is still the coach there.

Todd Nelson deserves an NHL coaching gig.

Didn't watch but the World Championships are a completely different thing than to day in and out NHL schedule. He still managed to lose in the QF. Blash is a terrible coach.

But why would he want the Wings job? Put yourself in his shoes and evaluate the Wings' roster. Now consider the shelf life of a head coach on a rebuilding team (which is what we really are). Nelson is going to take the job that gives him the best opportunity to be successful, which isn't the Wings.

Re: Blash, if he was going to be fired, he would have been axed already. My money says that he is here through the end of Holland's contract.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Doubt that will be a problem, Holland is probably gone after this year any ways same with Blashill, We will seek another GM and hopefully Nelson takes over for Blashill after the season is over.

God I hope your right. Not sold on Nelson though. Hopefully a julien type becomes available

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's sounding like more and more that this will be Hollands last year in Detroit

Based on what? 2 months ago Chris Illitch publicly said he has 100% confidence in Holland.

I'd like this to be true, but I haven't seen any indication of it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Based on what? 2 months ago Chris Illitch publicly said he has 100% confidence in Holland.

I'd like this to be true, but I haven't seen any indication of it.

Chris Illitch needs to use some common sense here, Because we all know that Holland is ruining his team and i can't understand why he can't realize that as well. If he has 100% confidence in Holland that's really scary.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Chris Illitch needs to use some common sense here, Because we all know that Holland is ruining his team and i can't understand why he can't realize that as well. If he has 100% confidence in Holland that's really scary.

So you really don't have any authority for your original comment...

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I chose fired between games 36-70. I think the Wings will struggle, and in an attempt at displaying control over the situation, Holland will fire Blashill, buying himself some relief.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Depends. If Blashill can't show anything new and sticks to shell defense dump and change, I hope he gets fired sooner than later.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You got a link? I don't remember that coming to light, and would like to read the article.

It's true but sadly I can't find the link and I don't want 2 because I have to scroll down until March or something I think :laugh:

A lot can change in 2 months so I don't see why that matters

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The team finishes bottom 10, but Blashill still does not get fired.

I agree with everything here, but I'd change the bottom 10 to bottom 5. We are brutal.

Our forwards are "meh". Average depth, lacking superstar power, overall right around 15-20th in the NHL.

Our D are terrible. We could have the worse D in the NHL.

Goalies are bottom 5 as well without Mrazek. With Mrazek, we're average, but with a Howard-Coreau tandem, easily bottom 5.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
You got a link? I don't remember that coming to light, and would like to read the article.

It's true but sadly I can't find the link and I don't want 2 because I have to scroll down until March or something I think :laugh:

A lot can change in 2 months so I don't see why that matters

I too remember the article but am too lazy to look for the link since I'm so attenuated from the argument made.

But in a general rebuttal to all, I'd say that endorsements of a coach/player/GM in pro sports only evinces modest confidence and loyalty. We've seen plenty of owners voice confidence in their employees only to hack them off months/weeks/days later.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Depends. If Blashill can't show anything new and sticks to shell defense dump and change, I hope he gets fired sooner than later.

The problem is that you cannot really hire his replacement in earnest until you decide what you are going to do with Holland. No coach who is any good is going to accept a job from a GM who may be gone six months from now. You need to extend Holland before you fire Blash (provided you want something more than one of the current assistants).

Also, teams that play super defensive systems do so because they lack offensive talent. If you are expecting this team to look a lot different under the next coaching regime, you will likely be disappointed.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I really think it all depends on weather guys grasp the 2 way style of play he's trying to bring to the Wings.
If they do he'll stay. If not I'd saying after the season.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
The problem is that you cannot really hire his replacement in earnest until you decide what you are going to do with Holland. No coach who is any good is going to accept a job from a GM who may be gone six months from now. You need to extend Holland before you fire Blash (provided you want something more than one of the current assistants).

Also, teams that play super defensive systems do so because they lack offensive talent. If you are expecting this team to look a lot different under the next coaching regime, you will likely be disappointed.

Well, his style is supposed to be a little more up-tempo and offensive. We definitely have speed on our team. Now that there's no streak to preserve, I'm hoping they let him try some new things. If they're not concerned with the W/L column, as I suspect they might not be anymore, we could see some change. If not I will definitely be disappointed.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well, his style is supposed to be a little more up-tempo and offensive. We definitely have speed on our team. Now that there's no streak to preserve, I'm hoping they let him try some new things. If they're not concerned with the W/L column, as I suspect they might not be anymore, we could see some change. If not I will definitely be disappointed.

Blashill installed aggressive transition hockey setups at all other levels. Similar to what Lavy, Sullivan and Cooper run. That was the earmarks of his system. Now you can say his isn't sophisticated enough or whatever else. I think we don't have the talent to do it. But make no mistake, the system I have seen Blashill deploy at other levels is a lethal high paced offensive transition system. Of course that relies on an outlet pass actually being in the arsenal of more than one defender....

I feel bad for him, I hope someday Blashill gets a better opportunity, I think he is DeBoer. A good coach in a bad situation. But I think stylistically he wants to run an uptempo system which is where the game is going, he just doesn't have the horses. Unfortunately he needs to have more than one thing in his arsenal, but my guess is that will be the big learning lesson he takes forward when he does move on and we will see him again if he doesn't choose to build a big time NCAA program and stay there long-term. We will see what happens with the new hire at MSU, I think it was a good one. I would be elated though if Blashill wound up there.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
At this point I think the organization is far too loyal to fire a coach mid season. If the team does not improve I think he is done after this upcoming season though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

well, if Holland really wants to go all out and try to make the playoffs, I think this is the first step he should take. Might be boring, but the guy's a good coach.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

well, if Holland really wants to go all out and try to make the playoffs, I think this is the first step he should take. Might be boring, but the guy's a good coach.

I'd be thrilled if he went after Tippett. You're right that he's an excellent coach and I can see him generating interest around the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad