Speculation: Summer buyout candidates

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Campbell would make a lot of sense but watch him get bought out, sign for cheap and win the Vezina. I'm fine going forward with skinner and Rodrigue personally. Risky for sure but a 50-30 split could work.

He's not going to win a Vezina at his age... heavily reliant on speed/reflexes and too many holes (like his 5-hole for one) in his technique.

I do agree he's going to have a few flash-in-the-pan revived seasons though. Much of his demise was due to Oilers contract situation this year. Still hoping they give him some games down the stretch with their saved $$$.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's not going to win a Vezina at his age... heavily reliant on speed/reflexes and too many holes (like his 5-hole for one) in his technique.

I do agree he's going to have a few flash-in-the-pan revived seasons though. Much of his demise was due to Oilers contract situation this year. Still hoping they give him some games down the stretch with their saved $$$.
What’s the point of giving him games down the stretch? The book on him has been written and closed.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yep these are 2 realistic buyout candidates. A lot of names posted in here are extremely unreasonable. It's like they don't use capfriendly to even see the buyout cost.

Or consider which teams actually need or want to use the cap space. Like, I'm not even sure Holl is a buyout candidate yet considering Detroit has over 25 mil in cap space.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'd be very curious if Skinner (Buffalo) is willing to waive his NMC.

His sporadic production is would be much more acceptable at 4.5M than it is at 9M.

I think a buyout makes a good bit of sense though. Only one BAD year of it (25-26) and the three trailing years we'll be at 100M+ salary cap.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd be very curious if Skinner (Buffalo) is willing to waive his NMC.

His sporadic production is would be much more acceptable at 4.5M than it is at 9M.

I think a buyout makes a good bit of sense though. Only one BAD year of it (25-26) and the three trailing years we'll be at 100M+ salary cap.

From what I've heard he signed in Buffalo partly because he wanted to be as close as possible to Toronto.

No chance the Leafs want him, so I dont think he'd waive his NMC.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
What’s the point of giving him games down the stretch? The book on him has been written and closed.

He played 5 of the first 11 games to Skinner's 6. Both had near identical stats. One got sent down because of cap and age. The other stayed up and recovered mostly due to the play of the team around him... a benefit not afforded the other guy. Neither of them were particularly good or bad the first 11 games of this season... much of that due to the play of the team around them.

I'm not saying Jack Campbell is an NHL starter. But to say he's not capable of being a quality back up (where his weak mental game would not be put to the same rigorous test) would be ignoring a whole lot of data to the contrary.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There are several good candidates for Montreal (Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak), but recently Josh Anderson stands out with a low level of involvement.

No one from the Habs will get bought out. Habs don’t have cap issues.

He played 5 of the first 11 games to Skinner's 6. Both had near identical stats. One got sent down because of cap and age. The other stayed up and recovered mostly due to the play of the team around him... a benefit not afforded the other guy. Neither of them were particularly good or bad the first 11 games of this season... much of that due to the play of the team around them.

I'm not saying Jack Campbell is an NHL starter. But to say he's not capable of being a quality back up (where his weak mental game would not be put to the same rigorous test) would be ignoring a whole lot of data to the contrary.
But no GM would take on Campbell even at 50%. Oilers will buy him out. No brainer.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
But no GM would take on Campbell even at 50%. Oilers will buy him out. No brainer.

That is not at all what was being discussed.

Of course the Oilers buy him out... the conversation you stepped into was about two things: 1) getting him games down the stretch so that he can be used BY THE OILERS if required in playoffs. ie is he a more suitable/experienced backup than Pickard. I say yes... and 2) speculation between myself and another Oiler fan that after buyout, he'll rebound somewhat (as a backup, likely at league min) with a new team. I take the over on that too FWIW

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That is not at all what was being discussed.

Of course the Oilers buy him out... the conversation you stepped into was about two things: 1) getting him games down the stretch so that he can be used BY THE OILERS if required in playoffs. ie is he a more suitable/experienced backup than Pickard. I say yes... and 2) speculation between myself and another Oiler fan that after buyout, he'll rebound somewhat (as a backup, likely at league min) with a new team. I take the over on that too FWIW
Agreed on 1) above. Might be a good idea to get him warmed up just in case disaster happens. Don't see any GM taking him on after the buyout unless its at league minimum salary.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He's also just a giant liability

it's one thing to put up points

but whether he's scoring or not he's bleeding goals by being a terrible defensive C despite getting the softest minutes on the team and it's not even close

When your A game is get a couple of points and break even and your B game is do nothing and be -3 there's nothing to be salvaged

Dude might be a good W when being carried--he's a big body with good hands and good vision to make ozone plays--but he's an awful C and not a line driver. You can't just hang onto him and pray.

Someone earlier asked about Kings' ownership's willingness to actually do so and while Blake has been absolutely burning their checkbook my thoughts are they've stopped him from making moves since the TM canning (see: inactive deadline) and will be cleaning house this offseason if this team doesn't perform. IF that happens--I can't imagine a new GM happy to inherit PLD and I imagine AEG will at least let them start with a clean slate.
They would get clowned for it for a while but it's the correct move imo

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
The Habs have tons including Josh Anderson, Price, Dvorak, Gallagher and Armia. So none will be bought out because these guys allow you to reach the capfloor. Secondly, their respective contracts will be up in 3 years for the most part. Armia had a bounce back year, so he might be easily tradeable. As for Price, you stick it out on LTIR.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I always thought a swap of Campbell for Johansen might make some sense. Said it the day the Flyers waived him.
Why would that make sense for the Flyers? Campbell has 3 x years remaining in that toxic contract. Johansen has 1 year remaining. Johansen can still play in a 3C capacity. Campbell would cost a minimum of 2 x 1st round picks to dump (possibly more).

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Then some GMs are idiots. If I was the GM of San Jose I would call up Edmonton and see what they would offer to include with Campbell even at full price. They are going to suck for the next few years, might as well get something out of it.

Campbell would cost a minimum of 2 x 1st round picks to dump (possibly more).

This has been shown to not be the truth time and time again. When will the collective of HFBoards learn?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Then some GMs are idiots. If I was the GM of San Jose I would call up Edmonton and see what they would offer to include with Campbell even at full price. They are going to suck for the next few years, might as well get something out of it.
They would be asking for at least 2 x 1st round picks ++. Is it worth it to Edm? Of course not. Buyout is the best option.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They would be asking for at least 2 x 1st round picks ++. Is it worth it to Edm? Of course not. Buyout is the best option.
Depending on the status of Logan Couture, it's possible that there's a deal to be made where if Couture is done, Edmonton could use the LTIR cap space Couture would provide while dumping Campbell. They'd still need to take one of Blackwood or Vanecek, I think but it's not completely impossible to do something else without needing two 1st round picks. I'd also probably do just the 2025 1st to take Campbell if Edmonton took back Sturm and Burroughs.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
123.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad