Speculation: Summer buyout candidates

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
It’s actually scary how friendly a PLD buyout would be… yeah it would be 14 years, but the cap hit isn’t really that bad and, other than a few years, should be very manageable

Per Capfriendly

“A Pierre-Luc Dubois buyout spans 14 years, has a cost of $15,833,333 and savings of $31,666,667. Dubois is 25 years of age at the time of the buyout; therefore, the buyout ratio is 1/3. With $47,500,000 in salary remaining, the cost is $15,833,333, and the savings are $31,666,667. Buyouts span twice the length of the remaining years and because there are 7 years remaining in the contract, the buyout length is 14 years. The buyout cap hit is displayed in the Cap Hit Calculations table below.”

IMG_8303.jpeg

Reactions: Esq and CDN24

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m gonna go with Jeff Skinner. Doubtful they’ll pull the trigger as they’re closer to the cap floor, but that contract is brutal.

That said, if they can somehow land a couple guys in the offseason to finally fix that lineup I think Skinner could be let go.
The owner is so embarrassingly cheap that Skinner could score zero goals, bhave a goal scored on them every time he’s on the ice, flip off fans and take a dump at center ice and he wouldn’t buy him out.

A simple rule of thumb. If it costs a penny…Buffalo isn’t doing it.

31 other teams buy him out 100%. There’s only one “bad” hit and it is three million less than they’ll be paying him that year to be three years worse than he is now. But this isn’t a pro sports team. It’s a con man’s grift to collect expansion dollars and sit on a franchise that has already become 5X more valuable than he bought it for. It’s a sham. That’s how you get to 13 years, are stuck with the worst coach in the league, and hire an unqualified bozo for GM. Because no one else will hire them and they smile when Pegula cuts their budgets.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
It’s actually scary how friendly a PLD buyout would be… yeah it would be 14 years, but the cap hit isn’t really that bad and, other than a few years, should be very manageable

Per Capfriendly

“A Pierre-Luc Dubois buyout spans 14 years, has a cost of $15,833,333 and savings of $31,666,667. Dubois is 25 years of age at the time of the buyout; therefore, the buyout ratio is 1/3. With $47,500,000 in salary remaining, the cost is $15,833,333, and the savings are $31,666,667. Buyouts span twice the length of the remaining years and because there are 7 years remaining in the contract, the buyout length is 14 years. The buyout cap hit is displayed in the Cap Hit Calculations table below.”

View attachment 845932
I did not realize he was still under 26. It is tempting for LA but it is admitting you made a colossal F up. short of Blake being fired before then I don't see them doing it

Reactions: CanMerc

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

Per Capfriendly

View attachment 845932
I'm not familiar with the Kings ownership but would they be okay with a buyout of this length? Legitimately curious.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The owner is so embarrassingly cheap that Skinner could score zero goals, bhave a goal scored on them every time he’s on the ice, flip off fans and take a dump at center ice and he wouldn’t buy him out.

31 other teams buy him out 100%. There’s only one “bad” hit and it is three million less than they’ll be paying him that year to be three years worse than he is now. But this isn’t a pro sports team. It’s a con man’s grift to collect expansion dollars and sit on a franchise that has already become 5X more valuable than he bought it for. It’s a sham. That’s how you get to 13 years, are stuck with the worst coach in the league, and hire an unqualified bozo for GM. Because no one else will hire them and they smile when Pegula cuts their budgets.
They need to look into retention or a swap that matches cap dollars.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
From PIT - Acciari seems relatively likely. I'd also buyout Graves but I doubt Dubas would. Graves would hurt, but he hurts so much more being on the roster.

Outside shot of Rakell or Jarry but you're probably better off taking a chance on them rebounding.

I don't expect either to be bought out. I think Graves can be traded for another LD that needs a change of scenery.

Acciari i hope can bounce back. Especially perhaps with not playing on the same line as Harkins and Carter. Honestly bottom 6 is a joke removing those 2 and Acciari to wing could be great for us.

His Cap hit is 9.250 until 2029-30

In a buyout for years 2026-27 to 2029-30:

They'd come ahead in the next 2 years, but it's attrocious afterwards. He's not gret, but he's also not terrible outside of his contract, which is borderline buyout proof.

Yea just keep Nurse.
also honestly sure is he worth over 9? No. He had leverage after a bridge contract and an amazing year he played.

worth around 7 to 7.5 million. Overpaid for a player just have to accept it.

Kotkaniemi? If they buy him out before 26 they only have to pay him a third of his mammoth contract.

gotta love the offersheet and then into a 8 year potential buyout. Atleast it's really really cheap If they need to do it

I am on the fence.

16 goals - es 8 goals pp.
Only a -3 but playing under 17 on average a game.

On pace for 29 goals. Scored above 30 last 2 years. Definitely not worth 30 but is he worth a buyout.

I now am looking at the contract. Major savings this coming year with only a 1.44 million hit. This does turn into a 4.4 to a 6.4 then 3 2.4s.

Sure the cap is going up but that 2nd year and 3rd wipes any increase. Is a player getting paid let's say 4.6 million better than Skinner?

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Per Capfriendly

View attachment 845932

I think a team would take him at 1.5 - 2 million retained. And that would only be for 7 years not 14. Probably best course of action.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I did not realize he was still under 26. It is tempting for LA but it is admitting you made a colossal F up. short of Blake being fired before then I don't see them doing it
PL also has 11 points in the last 11 games. At least LA has another seven games of regular season in the playoffs before they have to make any decisions.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
No need to buy out either Armia or Anderson. They're not out of the rebuild. Armia has a year left. He'll be TDL fodder next year. Andy might get back to 20 goal pace. Even if he doesn't, they're not buying out three more years at $5.5 million. If a buyout is in his future, they'll wait another year. Otherwise, they'll eat half the contract and trade him or LTIRetirement him.
I actually wonder if they might extend Armia, if he'll sign a 2x2 contract or something like that. He clearly fills a need, and there's no one in the pipeline to replace him, with Ylonen and RHP both being deeply underwhelming this season.

I expect Anderson will be sent down to the AHL long before he's bought out. Right now, future cap room counts a lot more for Montreal than current cap room.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
For Detroit, I'd say for sure Holl, maybe Husso and Petry.
I can't believe how quickly Petry seems to have lost his entire game.

That buyout would impact 3 different teams, so if it happens it'll have some weird repurcussions.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
PL also has 11 points in the last 11 games. At least LA has another seven games of regular season in the playoffs before they have to make any decisions.
Just like last year when he played well in a contract year PLD has realized he is under 26 and maybe a buyout candidate, he'll revert back to his lazy self after his 26th b day.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Not one NHL team would buy him out next year. Zero.

You can stomp your feet as hard as you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad