Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
not sure what players are missing for Saginaw wasn't that impressed by them. We had our chances not sure why we try the extra pass when great opportunities to shoot sometimes.

I've liked Konyen game this road trip, playing well.
Speaking of Konyen after scoring the 3rd goal at about the 5:30 minute mark of the third period, he never got back on the ice until last 20 seconds. Makes you wonder…

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Speaking of Konyen after scoring the 3rd goal at about the 5:30 minute mark of the third period, he never got back on the ice until last 20 seconds. Makes you wonder…
it would have been nice to get a whistle last few minutes unable to get a time out and have all the guys to set up for a push. I think that's what happened in Konyen case.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I’m ok with the pull. The coach and fans are sick of watching him let in goals that 99% of goalies can save. It’s like he can’t track a shot (especially from a longer distance)
This describes all three of our tenders. Krawchuk and Vonenberg(His Sudbury games) are tied for the best sv% with an .877%

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
it would have been nice to get a whistle last few minutes unable to get a time out and have all the guys to set up for a push. I think that's what happened in Konyen case.
I don’t think you need a whistle to get fresh players on the ice. He scored at 5:30 remaining in 3rd, that’s a full 2.5 minutes before goalie is pulled. You don’t need a whistle to get fresh 19 year old player on the ice who has 14 goals.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Let’s put it this way. McCallum had way too
Much icetime tonight for not winning one face off all night.

Way too many individual rushes tonight where plays died at the blueline.

Misa line badly outplayed Goyette line and had much of the puck possession and offensive zone time.

Our defence did not move the puck out with crisp passes. Always battling with the puck in the corner under pressure.

Chucky didn’t make the stop and that wasn’t good enough for KMac. Not his fav obviously.

Team needs another driver up front. Someone with speed and who can score. Romani or Wakely or Lavoie would be a nice add.

WJ

Reactions: justawolfan

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Also 3rd game of a 3 in 3 with a road game last night in Sarnia
Well, as far as that goes it’s a hell of a lot closer to Saginaw from Sarnia than it is from Sudbury to Michigan, not sleeping in your own bed.

I think tonight was a perfect example of why Musty didn’t get an invite for the world juniors. A lot of giveaways, blind passes risky plays at the blue line, individual play, scares me every time he has the puck.

I agree with pulling Krawchuck. As someone else said we’re sick of seeing soft goals go in and take us out of games. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s pretty much it for him.

I’m still not 100% sold on Vandenberg and 2 3rd round picks sure seems like a steep price, so far anyway. When it counted we were outplayed in net.

Special teams also not up to par yet again along with some I’ll timed penalties. Wolves still don’t shoot enough and make too many passes. Also they don’t put nearly enough pressure on the points and are far too passive on the penalty kill. Not a terrible game and certainly one that proves the Wolves can be right there.
It will however take more in several areas to push them over the top. First things first we are going to need stellar and not just adequate goaltending to be a real contender. That and the special teams need to be better.
Going to be tough against London with the short turnaround.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I don’t think you need a whistle to get fresh players on the ice. He scored at 5:30 remaining in 3rd, that’s a full 2.5 minutes before goalie is pulled. You don’t need a whistle to get fresh 19 year old player on the ice who has 14 goals.
yes, they went with third line after his line went off then back to 1st line around 2 minute mark.

They had two D, and 4 forwards on. DeAngelis and Collins, McCallum, Goyette, Musty, and Villeneuve. Who would you take out on the final 6?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
yes, they went with third line after his line went off then back to 1st line around 2 minute mark.

They had two D, and 4 forwards on. DeAngelis and Collins, McCallum, Goyette, Musty, and Villeneuve. Who would you take out on the final 6?
I saw Mania on in last minute and felt there would have been better options (Konyen being one of them). Hard to judge watching on TV but after scoring I just thought he deserved to get back on the ice in a one goal game..

Reactions: MGOBlue

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Well, as far as that goes it’s a hell of a lot closer to Saginaw from Sarnia than it is from Sudbury to Michigan, not sleeping in your own bed.

I think tonight was a perfect example of why Musty didn’t get an invite for the world juniors. A lot of giveaways, blind passes risky plays at the blue line, individual play, scares me every time he has the puck.

I agree with pulling Krawchuck. As someone else said we’re sick of seeing soft goals go in and take us out of games. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s pretty much it for him.

I’m still not 100% sold on Vandenberg and 2 3rd round picks sure seems like a steep price, so far anyway. When it counted we were outplayed in net.

Special teams also not up to par yet again along with some I’ll timed penalties. Wolves still don’t shoot enough and make too many passes. Also they don’t put nearly enough pressure on the points and are far too passive on the penalty kill. Not a terrible game and certainly one that proves the Wolves can be right there.
It will however take more in several areas to push them over the top. First things first we are going to need stellar and not just adequate goaltending to be a real contender. That and the special teams need to be better.
Going to be tough against London with the short turnaround.
I know our focus is on goaltending and if it is good enough? Yes last goal allowed by Chucky was a stinker, but he was awesome in the first period.
Focus must be aimed at lack of defensive structure and a lack of commitment for some to play a 200 foot game. There are some privileged players who only know a 100 foot game and until that changes the best goalies in the world will be exposed.
Sorry, Vandy was fine coming in cold in a relief appearance, the GWG was batted out of the air. Who is stopping that? We need more discipline when it comes to shift length and back checking into the DZ and always staying below the puck.

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
konyen and Walton deserved to be on the ice based on that game. KMac has no reward system he sticks to his game plan . This is why I think he’s outdated.

The pk has been sub par last Month but he doesn’t adjust. He has it all figured out.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
konyen and Walton deserved to be on the ice based on that game. KMac has no reward system he sticks to his game plan . This is why I think he’s outdated.

The pk has been sub par last Month but he doesn’t adjust. He has it all figured out.
This is exactly the case. Mackenzies only trick in his bag is play his horses and hope they score with talent. Fortunately he’s got the best line in the league and they sometimes come through. That will be the game plan moving forward. Zero systems and/or development.

Reactions: MGOBlue

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018
Seems like the other guys dont get pulled EVER. Not like Vandenberg did THAT much better than him. I hope this isn't the end for him.

Krawchuk is not an OHL goalie, and the sample size is big enough to prove that. Too many awful goals, that demoralize a team. I wanted him to succeed this year as much as the next guy, but he clearly isn't it. Not sure what games you are watching, but I see a scared goalie who won't challenge any shooters, stays deep in his net, and fights almost every shot. Team stabilized when Vandenberg came in.

Dude has been solid in net for us when compared to the other 2 goalies we have

Lol, yeah ok.

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
This is exactly the case. Mackenzies only trick in his bag is play his horses and hope they score with talent. Fortunately he’s got the best line in the league and they sometimes come through. That will be the game plan moving forward. Zero systems and/or development.
Has the accountability portion figured out with quick goalie hooks and benching for undisciplined penalties but the coaches gotta figure out ways to make ALL players feel they belong and are valued by giving defined roles (which I think are in place) and holding the top players equally responsible when they make bad turn overs, don’t back check or stay on too long. Protz takes a questionable Interference Penalty early 2nd period leading to Sag’s first goal and he barely sees the ice again, other defence continually make mistakes and they are not held to same level of accountability. Bottom six guys and BUGs need to be included and values and top six guys need to be held responsible for lack of effort, undisciplined and selfish play similar to the standard set for bottom 6. I’ve watched all levels of hockey for many years and I can’t recall too many Championships won in the backs of a few players. Better teams beat individual play/talent.

Krawchuk is not an OHL goalie, and the sample size is big enough to prove that. Too many awful goals, that demoralize a team. I wanted him to succeed this year as much as the next guy, but he clearly isn't it. Not sure what games you are watching, but I see a scared goalie who won't challenge any shooters, stays deep in his net, and fights almost every shot. Team stabilized when Vandenberg came in.

Lol, yeah ok.
Easy to be demoralized when you know your coaches don’t trust you…

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Has the accountability portion figured out with quick goalie hooks and benching for undisciplined penalties but the coaches gotta figure out ways to make ALL players feel they belong and are valued by giving defined roles (which I think are in place) and holding the top players equally responsible when they make bad turn overs, don’t back check or stay on too long. Protz takes a questionable Interference Penalty early 2nd period leading to Sag’s first goal and he barely sees the ice again, other defence continually make mistakes and they are not held to same level of accountability. Bottom six guys and BUGs need to be included and values and top six guys need to be held responsible for lack of effort, undisciplined and selfish play similar to the standard set for bottom 6. I’ve watched all levels of hockey for many years and I can’t recall too many Championships won in the backs of a few players. Better teams beat individual play/talent.

Easy to be demoralized when you know your coaches don’t trust you…
This pretty much sums it up!

As much as Pharand has struggled this season I have found the last couple of weeks he has been way more effective. He needs to play down the middle. I would of had him take some draws over McCallum down the stretch. The bench bosses need to recognize who is on their game and make adjustments. The bench management on this team has to be questioned. At one point of a PP I saw Mania and Signoretti on the point. I had a what the heck moment there!!!

WJ

Reactions: Duke of Wellington

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
This game showed how important speciality teams are as we stand right now I am not convinced we jeopardize the future by going all when at best we are a long shot with this present team

Lol, yeah ok.
Volume is obviously an important factor but the stats don't lie;

1702831062469.png

Vandenberg - 3 GP / 81 SH / 71 SAV / 10 GA / 3.85 GAA / 0.876 SAV%

Satistically he is the best goalie on the team. I can see how it might be tough to be confident when your coaches have no confidence in you. They might as well trade the kid at this point. They keep finding ways to bench him lol

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Volume is obviously an important factor but the stats don't lie;

View attachment 785171

Vandenberg - 3 GP / 81 SH / 71 SAV / 10 GA / 3.85 GAA / 0.876 SAV%

Satistically he is the best goalie on the team. I can see how it might be tough to be confident when your coaches have no confidence in you. They might as well trade the kid at this point. They keep finding ways to bench him lol
The team brass have no confidence in Chucky! That was evident last year. I just wish they would of signed the kid from the 5th round out of camp. And let him back up Vondras this year. Then the pick of Vandenberg would have made much more sense. But the kid has gone to NCAA. I'm not sure what the plan is for Gaulton in the future. Does he have what it takes? Wolves will have no choice to run with an OA goalie in Vnadenberg next year.

WJ

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Not feeling super hopeful today, will be happy if they can keep it close and get out of there without any more injuries heading into the break. Anything above that is a bonus.

Atelast Swayer Boulton is already suspended, one less London goon to worry about.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
And again KMac starts the same line that is always on defence at the opening draw. I have yet to see this line go on the attack at the opening draw. Bad coverage on McCue as well.

WJ

Reactions: Muskyslayer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad