Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Tucker is a force out there. Exactly the type of guy we need to add on defense. Doubt it would happen as we're fighting Barrie for the division, but who knows maybe if Paps were to overpay for him. We take Pekar and Tucker off Barrie's hands for a boatload of picks for a run this season, and then next season we help Barrie out for their run by sending them Phillips and Murray and we recoup the picks back. This GM stuff is fun eh Cubby :popcorn:

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
That wasn't pretty at all. Neither team could make or accept a pass.
Impressed with Byfield patience with all the hacking and cheap shots he was taking. But it would be nice to see him just once drill one of those guys square in the face just to show that he can.
Poor officiating again.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
That wasn't pretty at all. Neither team could make or accept a pass.
Impressed with Byfield patience with all the hacking and cheap shots he was taking. But it would be nice to see him just once drill one of those guys square in the face just to show that he can.
Poor officiating again.

Both teams had no chemistry and it made for boring and messy hockey.

Byfield's smart and realize any trade that involves him going off the ice will just end in an advantage for the opponent and only cause them to go after him harder. It would be less of a problem if the OHL stopped allowing the mugging of star players to be a valid defensive tactic.

Not sure about the choice to run Ross up front tonight although he did do great.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Tucker is a force out there. Exactly the type of guy we need to add on defense. Doubt it would happen as we're fighting Barrie for the division, but who knows maybe if Paps were to overpay for him. We take Pekar and Tucker off Barrie's hands for a boatload of picks for a run this season, and then next season we help Barrie out for their run by sending them Phillips and Murray and we recoup the picks back. This GM stuff is fun eh Cubby :popcorn:

Don't even need to be creative, just copy how it’s done in the OHL.
Sure the Petes & ‘67s will be really, really good. Still, the timing could not be better for the wolves. Barrie currently has one 2nd pick over five drafts and Suzuki ? The rest of the central is not at all good. Next season will be a good time to be a seller as there will be two spots for OHL teams in the memorial cup. Papineau does not have any tough decisions as some have suggested. Just go pay near prices established long ago for the 3-4 obvious pieces the wolves need which are not necessarily WJC caliber

Last edited:
Reactions: howlman

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
If I may throw in my 2 cents about the trade front, my wish list would be a top 2 Defenceman and a goalie, someone like Ingham In Kitchener. As for the top 3 forward that would play with Byfield I would wait and see for a couple of things:

1. See if he makes Team Canada.

2. If he makes it, see who he plays with and if he develops Chemistry with said player, if that happens I would say that you target that player, assuming that that player is up for sale and also playing in the O.

3. If there is anything left after those 3 adds I would hope that Paps would add a depth 2nd/3rd line forward, just to put the talent farther down the depth chart.

Either way, Exciting times in wolves land.

Go Wolves Go!!

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If I may throw in my 2 cents about the trade front, my wish list would be a top 2 Defenceman and a goalie, someone like Ingham In Kitchener. As for the top 3 forward that would play with Byfield I would wait and see for a couple of things:

1. See if he makes Team Canada.

2. If he makes it, see who he plays with and if he develops Chemistry with said player, if that happens I would say that you target that player, assuming that that player is up for sale and also playing in the O.

3. If there is anything left after those 3 adds I would hope that Paps would add a depth 2nd/3rd line forward, just to put the talent farther down the depth chart.

Either way, Exciting times in wolves land.

Go Wolves Go!!
My wish list is a top liner then tender then d

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
My wish list is a top liner then tender then d
I agree that it is needed and that Byfield can play with anyone and make them look good, I just want to be sure it’s someone who can workout, it can be very difficult to do in practice, I understand. That’s the only rational behind waiting until the Jr’s.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I thought we were the better team last night and should've gotten it in regulation. I still can't understand how they didn't review that late chance that looked like it had gone in.

Barrie are still at this moment very much in the driver's seat for the central. Only 5 points back with 5 games in hand. Gotta go on a bit of a run of wins and hope Barrie slips up a bit to stabilize that.

I don't really care about those who say the regular season doesn't matter...I've long been annoyed about our last division title being in 2001. I'd very much appreciate a new banner.

Reactions: WolvesFan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I thought we were the better team last night and should've gotten it in regulation. I still can't understand how they didn't review that late chance that looked like it had gone in.

Barrie are still at this moment very much in the driver's seat for the central. Only 5 points back with 5 games in hand. Gotta go on a bit of a run of wins and hope Barrie slips up a bit to stabilize that.

I don't really care about those who say the regular season doesn't matter...I've long been annoyed about our last division title being in 2001. I'd very much appreciate a new banner.

I can’t imagine the wolves not winning the central if they buy. With Barrie having only one 2nd pick, Suzuki out, and the colts core 2001-03 ... it’s not their year.
I’m hoping for 2-LD & a RW. Depending where an incoming import plays and the cost, maybe a 2nd F or G. I have no issue moving out any/all of McCallum, Phillips, Samuelson, and Serensits or Stratis

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I can’t imagine the wolves not winning the central if they buy. With Barrie having only one 2nd pick, Suzuki out, and the colts core 2001-03 ... it’s not their year.
I’m hoping for 2-LD & a RW. Depending where an incoming import plays and the cost, maybe a 2nd F or G. I have no issue moving out any/all of McCallum, Phillips, Samuelson, and Serensits or Stratis

I don’t really want to see Phillips be moved.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t really want to see Phillips be moved.

Many feel the same way, he has a good future. But right now, he is a huge misfit in the top four (for a wannabe contender); and, I feel Ross is the safer play in a 3rd pairing. Imo, use the perceived asset to trade for player(s) that help this season.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Guys Phillips is probably gone after next season too btw, I'm assuming he gets drafted so he wouldn't play an OA season. Loponen is also rumoured to be looking to do a one and done and then go back to Finland so I don't expect him here next year. Murray will nearly definitely be in his last season next season, and Purboo, Hutcheson, Stratis, Samuelsson, Robinson, Serensits are all going to be OAs. Next year is our last chance before rebuilding again. It's why we need to get guys like Larmand, Ribau, Biondi, DeGrazia ice time. We won't have our first rounder in his D+1 season (or if we're lucky he'll play that one but not his D+2) like most teams will because Byfield is so special.

I see us as a midpack team next year but the year after this is who we will likely have still on the squad:
Ross (last year OA)
Manikis (last year OA)
Thompson (last year before OA but he will not play one he'll be picked too high)
Stillman
McCallum
Larmand

DeGrazia Smith Biondi and Ribau could all technically still be here but they're not even playing now I doubt they will be in two years as last year pre OA's. Weeks could be an OA but he won't be anywhere near worth it, Murray could be an OA but he's NHL drafted and putting up numbers, he'll be in the A, and Loponen has a 0% chance of playing an OA year rather than playing in the A or Finland where he could get paid. We're going to be thin after next year, so either go all in for this year or sell the farm while we have guys to trade.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I wanted to post some thoughts for discussion as the general consensus on the board appears to be that the team isn't where we'd all like at this point. Just questions about what's stalling this team and perhaps how they can fix things.

Is the loss of Bud, addition of Zack, and also Moxam moving from a full-time assistant back to part-time hurting development this season? Does this really matter?

Will our offense, (and maybe D also), be more consistent when we stop the line juggling, (and playing D-men upfront) or is this necessary with a struggling (at times) team?

Can Purboo be good enough to remain a starter that would allow us to bring in another sold goalie for a time-share, or do we need a true number one in the net?

Should we be developing the talent we have at Rayside to fill in holes and keep our regulars on consistent lines and positions rather than moving them around? Is this causing them to remain unsettled, particularly the young players?

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I wanted to post some thoughts for discussion as the general consensus on the board appears to be that the team isn't where we'd all like at this point. Just questions about what's stalling this team and perhaps how they can fix things.

Is the loss of Bud, addition of Zack, and also Moxam moving from a full-time assistant back to part-time hurting development this season? Does this really matter?

Will our offense, (and maybe D also), be more consistent when we stop the line juggling, (and playing D-men upfront) or is this necessary with a struggling (at times) team?

Can Purboo be good enough to remain a starter that would allow us to bring in another sold goalie for a time-share, or do we need a true number one in the net?

Should we be developing the talent we have at Rayside to fill in holes and keep our regulars on consistent lines and positions rather than moving them around? Is this causing them to remain unsettled, particularly the young players?
Id love to see consistent lines, this is what I want to see:
Bulitka-Byfield-Levin
Hutcheson-Murray-Stillman
Carson-Manikis-Robinson
Larmand-McCallum-Biondi/DeGrazia

Thompson-Loponen (guys this is a true 1st pairing in modern hockey, Loponens been really good and Thompson is one of the best D in the OHL)
Ross-Phillips (this has been a damn good pairing in the past and should be more than able to handle second pair duties)
Samuelsson-Serentis (shut down, mean pair)

Purboo
Weeks

After the deadline I want:
Levin-Byfield-New addition (Roth/Noel/Jenik/Tomasino/Kaliyev/etc)
Hutcheson-Bulitka-Murray
Carson-Manikis-Stillman
Larmand-McCallum-Robinson

New player (Tucker/Hatcher/Harley)-Loponen
Ross-Thompson
New depth player-Serensits

Goalie (Ingham?)
Purboo

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I have total faith in Papineau, most likely moves will be made, they always do, if nothing is done before Christmas, we know for sure at January deadline. I for one think we should go all in, we are still in first in our division, and second in the Conference. Watching Barrie play last night, I don't see them as a big threat. To me the contenders from the East are Ottawa, Oshawa, Peterborough, so I think some key moves we can make a nice run to Memorial Cup.

Reactions: howlman

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I have total faith in Papineau, most likely moves will be made, they always do, if nothing is done before Christmas, we know for sure at January deadline. I for one think we should go all in, we are still in first in our division, and second in the Conference. Watching Barrie play last night, I don't see them as a big threat. To me the contenders from the East are Ottawa, Oshawa, Peterborough, so I think some key moves we can make a nice run to Memorial Cup.

not a chance getting to a memorial cup, and very likely not getting to the OHL championship.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Id love to see consistent lines, this is what I want to see:
Bulitka-Byfield-Levin
Hutcheson-Murray-Stillman
Carson-Manikis-Robinson
Larmand-McCallum-Biondi/DeGrazia

Thompson-Loponen (guys this is a true 1st pairing in modern hockey, Loponens been really good and Thompson is one of the best D in the OHL)
Ross-Phillips (this has been a damn good pairing in the past and should be more than able to handle second pair duties)
Samuelsson-Serentis (shut down, mean pair)

Purboo
Weeks

After the deadline I want:
Levin-Byfield-New addition (Roth/Noel/Jenik/Tomasino/Kaliyev/etc)
Hutcheson-Bulitka-Murray
Carson-Manikis-Stillman
Larmand-McCallum-Robinson

New player (Tucker/Hatcher/Harley)-Loponen
Ross-Thompson
New depth player-Serensits

Goalie (Ingham?)
Purboo

sorry, Thompson & Loponen cannot be considered a top pairing for a good team for the 2019-20 season.

Chisholm-Paquette/Hudson
Hoefenmayer-Bahl

Notice the age/experience difference? That’s what the wolves have to contend with in round two. The depth D of the Petes & ‘67s is also much better than what the wolves have currently.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
sorry, Thompson & Loponen cannot be considered a top pairing for a good team for the 2019-20 season.

Chisholm-Paquette/Hudson
Hoefenmayer-Bahl

Notice the age/experience difference? That’s what the wolves have to contend with in round two. The depth D of the Petes & ‘67s is also much better than what the wolves have currently.
I take Thompson and Loponen over the first pair, I don't care about age. Half of why Thompson is flying up rankings is because he plays like a vet at 17. Hoefenmayer-Bahl are beasts but we won't have that, Thompson-Loponen is a modern day first pair. I'm not opposed to adding someone to have 3 top 2 D and drop one of the two down to play with Ross I just dont see the negativity.

Reactions: Patverbeek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad