Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
OK then, if we picked up an OA goalie from the Dub, what would you do if you were the GM to get down to 3 OAs? Who do you trade and what could we get back? What other irons are in the fire? It might have been nice to claim Brkin or Myskiw but we weren't low enough in the standings to do so and to get them would require giving up an asset plus making a decision on an OA.

What there should have been is a backup plan for when Dichow didnt come over that didn't involve the WHL.

Yes there should've been a back up plan for Dichow especially after trading for Purboo who had only played 23 OHL games. It doesn't matter where you are in the standings. Successful teams are always thinking ahead one or two steps. I'm not going to speculate on something that cant happen now, nor is it my job to determine who stays and who goes. I look at this team and see areas of concern that may want to be addressed. There is goaltending issues, and defence issues. Those are the areas to start fixing. 3rd and 4th lines would be next and IF a cheap import is available, make that decision then. There are a lot of names out there that posters want, Thomas, Noel etc. but if this team had the assets to make these deals, they would be done already, or happening now. That's just speculation, the point is, very few people know what coveted players will fetch and who a team wants in return for said player. Most times, the price is too steep.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Yes there should've been a back up plan for Dichow especially after trading for Purboo who had only played 23 OHL games. It doesn't matter where you are in the standings. Successful teams are always thinking ahead one or two steps. I'm not going to speculate on something that cant happen now, nor is it my job to determine who stays and who goes. I look at this team and see areas of concern that may want to be addressed. There is goaltending issues, and defence issues. Those are the areas to start fixing. 3rd and 4th lines would be next and IF a cheap import is available, make that decision then. There are a lot of names out there that posters want, Thomas, Noel etc. but if this team had the assets to make these deals, they would be done already, or happening now. That's just speculation, the point is, very few people know what coveted players will fetch and who a team wants in return for said player. Most times, the price is too steep.
Disagree here, the big names wouldn't be acquired until after WJCs

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

You can fix the 3rd and 4th lines now and make depth trades but you wont land the big fish until the last minute. most bigger names move in the summer, directly before the season or at trade deadline

Reactions: hockieguy

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Disagree here, the big names wouldn't be acquired until after WJCs

Look, nowhere in any post did I specify WHEN ANY player should be acquired. What it CLEARLY states is two names of "big" players that have been posted as players to try and acquire. The reference to these players are COST and IF they wanted them, and could afford them then they would be here. It also says CLEARLY that there are other issues to address first. Goal tending situation, defence the 3rd and 4th lines, MAYBE an import. I also stated in earlier posts that scoring ISNT a problem. The trouble is the defensive side of the ice.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Look, nowhere in any post did I specify WHEN ANY player should be acquired.

Uh

There are a lot of names out there that posters want, Thomas, Noel etc. but if this team had the assets to make these deals, they would be done already, or happening now.

Teams shopping those big names are hoping for an '03 in return, and thus won't move them until after WJC, as @hockeynorth stated, contrary to what you CLEARLY stated.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Look, nowhere in any post did I specify WHEN ANY player should be acquired. What it CLEARLY states is two names of "big" players that have been posted as players to try and acquire. The reference to these players are COST and IF they wanted them, and could afford them then they would be here. It also says CLEARLY that there are other issues to address first. Goal tending situation, defence the 3rd and 4th lines, MAYBE an import. I also stated in earlier posts that scoring ISNT a problem. The trouble is the defensive side of the ice.
You said they'd be done already

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

you also said there should have been a backup plan after the Purboo move. That clearly refers to before the start of the season.

the season is far from over and we are in ok shape heading into Christmas break. Hopefully the team can turn it around. I’d like them to dress 12 forwards for once!

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
You can fix the 3rd and 4th lines now and make depth trades but you wont land the big fish until the last minute. most bigger names move in the summer, directly before the season or at trade deadline
I’ve been saying this since early October! The Wolves are icing their youngest team in the last five seasons at this point. So it really confuses me as to why they signed so many young players this year and dropped McConville. A player who also could dropped the mitts, make solid checks and kills penalties and is a good teammate from all accounts.

WJ

Last edited:
Reactions: bigtimefan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You are so far off base regarding that post. If you don't understand what is written, that's ok. The jest of the post wasn't to go out looking for Clarke..... The quote stated that when a player cheap shots you, there are times when YOU address it instead of running to the bench and EXPECTING someone else to take care of it. There are times when a player has to stand up for himself and stop being a diaper to be dumped in every game. There are players at the next level that will be "on him" until he stands up for himself. Its not the idea of him running around, but regarding the Clarke incident, Byfield should have addressed that immediately or the next shift.

yeah, every player has to take care of themselves...thought incident took place I last seconds; so, thought potential suspensions was reason nothing at all occurred

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
What will be the first domino to fall:

Starting tender, or a backup

A defensivemen or a forward.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Really, IMO, frustrating times. If this team is going to challenge for a championship this year, they need a different starting tender in addition to a couple other parts, which is going to empty any draft picks we have and likely mean McCallum traded out as well. Without the goalie, there is no sense in going for it. We can't win with what we have.

If we stand pat, we likely lose Byfield next year, and I don't see us really competing for at least 2-3 years and I'm not sure that selling really gets us much closer any faster. Mediocrity forever.....

Personally, I've been a season ticket holder and fan for a very long time, but I think I'm really starting to lose interest in the Wolves and the OHL in general. Really starting to lose hope that this team will ever win.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Becoming more clear that maybe Paps doesn't really see us as a threat for a conference title especially seeing what Oshawa just did. I think we are seeing the results of the rebuild that has been going on for the last three years. What you see now is it and he will probably just run with it.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Becoming more clear that maybe Paps doesn't really see us as a threat for a conference title especially seeing what Oshawa just did. I think we are seeing the results of the rebuild that has been going on for the last three years. What you see now is it and he will probably just run with it.
BS as far as I'm concerned! If we're not ready to compete it's on him.

Reactions: dirty12

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I said Oshawa was going to trade Antropov... and that's a cheap price too. Noel next

Reactions: WaW

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
You don't build your team only to end up with petty cash. Unacceptable.
Teams around them got better and drafted well and developed their players. Not saying the Wolves did not, but seems some teams did it a little better unfortunately for us.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You don't build your team only to end up with petty cash. Unacceptable.

Exactly; after trading Bowman, Lyszarczyk, 1sts-Lalonde, Pezetta, & O’Grady, Sokolov, and Ali, Baker, Garagan, & Tabak, Papineau has/had the assets required to make a run this season

Reactions: Lycanthrope

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Exactly; after trading Bowman, Lyszarczyk, 1sts-Lalonde, Pezetta, & O’Grady, Sokolov, and Ali, Baker, Garagan, & Tabak, Papineau has/had the assets required to make a run this season
I think you nailed it. We seem to have a problem with over rating players, especially our own.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
No excuses for Paps. Like I've said, we will soon see what he's made of as we head towards the trade deadline. If he sits pat or does lateral moves, it will be a failure of epic proportions. This talk of the Wolves not having enough assets is all bull. I've already listed all the picks we have to deal with plus McCallum plus one of Ross/Phillips. We just need a GM with the balls to go for it and turn Sudbury into contenders. Help is needed and some key trades can fill some holes and upgrade this team for a deep playoff push. Getter done Paps, Sudbury fans have suffered enough. We want a winner badly

Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad