Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Thoughts on the game tonight.

Part of me is royally annoyed with the fact that we blew a 2 point lead and ultimately lost in overtime.

The other part of me is happy about the fact that we got a point against a very good club in the Pete’s and we we’re leading for a big chunk of the game, also by the sound of what I heard on the radio, we played a pretty decent overall game.

What more can be said about Kirll Nizhnikov, here’s hoping that tonight is a glimpse of what is to come, 3 points is a good start in my books.

And Finally, it’s probably too early to know, but does anyone have any more info about what happened to O’Grady?

If you saw the game instead of listening to it you would have been more annoyed because of the terrible officiating. Some cough ups in their zone resulted in some quality chances but for the most part Sudbury played well. More execution on the PP chances would have been better. The new player did well and showed a brilliance touch with the puck. As for OGrady lets hope it looked way worse than it is. A feel for the guy he has had no luck with getting injuries.

WJ

Newbie2017

Nov 18, 2017
If you saw the game instead of listening to it you would have been more annoyed because of the terrible officiating. Some cough ups in their zone resulted in some quality chances but for the most part Sudbury played well. More execution on the PP chances would have been better. The new player did well and showed a brilliance touch with the puck. As for OGrady lets hope it looked way worse than it is. A feel for the guy he has had no luck with getting injuries.

WJ
Agreed....horrible officiating and Wolves need to work on PP....could have sealed this game

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Talk about the refs having an outcome in the game. The Wolves deserved a better fate than that. A terrible non call against OGrady that resulted in a serious injury. Fraser with a late hit with the player in a vulnerable position. Completely turned the game around. Wolves gave up two goals immediately following that. Then in OT the penalty to Pezzetta was terrible. He cuts to the net and takes the shot while 3 on 3. His stick on the follow through get tangled in Wells chest. A interference call is then given to Pezzetta. Results in an OT goal for the Petes on the PP. Thank you Lewis and Neeley for ruining a good hockey game.

WJ
The play with the OGrady injury wasn't a late hit in my opinion. Wasn;t even a hit. Fraser shoved O'Grady and he fell awkwardly with his leg bending the wrong way. The Petes lost Chisholm to an injury on a similar play earlier in the game. And besides the same play when O'Grady got hurt, Gogolev got a 4 minute penalty for the petes for what I don't know so the Wolves got a 4 min PP didn't they? How does that completely turn the game around? The goalie interference call was questionable I agree with you there.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
O’Grady had played half of the 9-10 minutes of the 3rd with the wolves trying to protect 4-2 lead. O’Grady being unavailable certainly played a part in the Petes comeback.
Losing Chisholm for any period of time is a very bad thing for the Petes, as well.
Overall, the officiating was poor. That’s standard for the OHL.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I watched the game and yes the hit on O Grady was questionable as he was in my opinion directed into the boards and he fell twisting his leg. The Pezzetta penalty was a joke but going 1 for 8 on the pp and giving up more chances to the Petes on the PP than creating them was the downfall. Goaltending was stellar once again as it could have been a lot worse.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Look on the bright side folks we got a point :)

Not a coach so I have no idea how to fix that PP

Played well but hopefully will get better protecting goal leads.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Not a coach no idea how to fix that PP

I think the D are improved. And, no matter what anyone thinks of Levin’s over all game, he is the key distributor on the PP.
Even if the team is looking more competitive, Lajeunesse and Sokolov have to be moved to make room for Levin & McConville and replace the 2018 - 2nd, 3rd(s), 4th picks used in trades this season. McConville at 17, has to get into the line up or moved before he just gets waived through the league.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

Not a coach no idea how to fix that PP

i think coach needs to put two defencemen on the PP, to minimize these shorthanded goals.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
i think coach needs to put two defencemen on the PP, to minimize these shorthanded goals.

I would agree with that if Rhodes were available. In the meantime, Sokolov & Nizhnikov are both left shot (better) RW and both most dangerous on PP; so, make it work coaches.
One forward on the point during PP can work very well if there is one player able to create enough space to set up in the offensive zone.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
So I read Rhoads was supposed to be back last night? Sure would help if O'Grady is out for any length of time. Really disappointing that the team couldn't hold a two goal lead in the third despite numerous power plays. Hopefully it will improve with the new acquisition and Levin back. As it stands they give up more than they generate, unacceptable, any kind of pp and the game doesn't go into overtime. Also, the acquisition of the new Russian fellow is perplexing and speaks to the rumour that Zulich wants playoffs at all costs. I wouldn't bet that anyone will be sold off at the deadline but we'll see.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
So I read Rhoads was supposed to be back last night? Sure would help if O'Grady is out for any length of time. Really disappointing that the team couldn't hold a two goal lead in the third despite numerous power plays. Hopefully it will improve with the new acquisition and Levin back. As it stands they give up more than they generate, unacceptable, any kind of pp and the game doesn't go into overtime. Also, the acquisition of the new Russian fellow is perplexing and speaks to the rumour that Zulich wants playoffs at all costs. I wouldn't bet that anyone will be sold off at the deadline but we'll see.

picking up Krill Nizhnikov, was a great pickup, it replaces Owen Lalonde pick. If he plays like he did yesterday I'm excited how he will develop in future with the Wolves. I think play it out until the trade deadline, it depends how team is performing at that time if serious moves will be made. My opinion i think need to move Sokolov at deadline, and hoping for a good return. i think they will hold on to Pezzetta and Candela. i could see Owen Gilhula being moved maybe for another Defenceman.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
picking up Krill Nizhnikov, was a great pickup, it replaces Owen Lalonde pick. If he plays like he did yesterday I'm excited how he will develop in future with the Wolves. I think play it out until the trade deadline, it depends how team is performing at that time if serious moves will be made. My opinion i think need to move Sokolov at deadline, and hoping for a good return. i think they will hold on to Pezzetta and Candela. i could see Owen Gilhula being moved maybe for another Defenceman.

I'm hoping for one win this weekend. It could happen. There close to winning a close game on the Rd against a tuff opponent. If they can move Sok and still move up the standings that would be ideal. It's possible. They need more D help. Not really a Candela fan.

Just don't know why Gilhula hasnt produced.

NewWolvesFan

Oct 1, 2017
I'm hoping for one win this weekend. It could happen. There close to winning a close game on the Rd against a tuff opponent. If they can move Sok and still move up the standings that would be ideal. It's possible. They need more D help. Not really a Candela fan.

Just don't know why Gilhula hasnt produced.

Being optimistic I think another 3 points this weekend is plausible. We really do need some solid defensemen that can make the first pass on the breakout and that can skate. My biggest complaint is they get beat in foot races all the time and never seem to be able to make a pass.

As for Gilhula, in my opinion it looks like the coach doesn't have any confidence in him. Yes he has gotten lucky in terms of injuries allowing him to play, but any mistakes and he is being sat. This happened the past few games and then scratched last night. Along with never playing with the same two wingers/linemates. I am not sure. Just my opinion.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As of now, the wolves D for next season will consist of three with one year, Philips - jr league, and Candela & O’Grady with four OHL seasons. I think it would take a silly good offer for Papineau to trade one of his two vet D.

As for Gihula, it is little early for a last place club to be giving up on its 2nd picked 2000 born. He is just a bit of a late blooming 17 yr old with up to three seasons left after this one. By comparison; Hutcheson, McConville, and Serensits look years older. The team lacks the speed Gihula possesses. I hope Gihula is still with the wolves for his age 19 & 20 seasons.

Last edited:

NewWolvesFan

Oct 1, 2017
As for Gihula, it is little early for a last place club to be giving up on its 2nd picked 2000 born. He is just a bit of a late blooming 17 yr old with up to three seasons left after this one. By comparison; Hutcheson, McConville, and Serensits look years older. The team lacks the speed Gihula possesses. I hope Gihula is still with the wolves for his age 19 & 20 seasons.
I agree. Although to an extent, I think the speed is one thing that almost hurts him on this team. No one is used to it, and cannot hit a pass. This goes for the few other speedsters we have. They suffer and you can see the frustration on everyones faces when passes are behind them or in their skates.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
As of now, the wolves D for next season will consist of three with one year, Philips - jr league, and Candela & O’Grady with four OHL seasons. I think it would take a silly good offer for Papineau to trade one of his two vet D.

not giving up on him, but he maybe can fetch solid defenceman. He can skate, i think he's been in dog house because of his defensive game, and seems to take some untimely penalties, but other guys have too.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
not giving up on him, but he maybe can fetch solid defenceman. He can skate, i think he's been in dog house because of his defensive game, and seems to take some untimely penalties, but other guys have too.

If Gihula can fetch a ‘99 or 2000 born D to slot behind Candela & O’Grady, do it. Otherwise, wait for the talent to mature.
I doubt Gihula is in the dog house because of his defensive game. Maybe, the coach felt (1/30 games so far) that Gihula was his 13th best option on the road against a team chock full of bigger 19-20 year olds.
Move on from Lajeunesse ASAP. Gihula, Levin (soon), & finding out what McConville has is much more important to team going forward than playing Lajeunesse, who will be unlikely to re-stock the 4th pick used on him. He was very useful during a troubling injury period. He should be thanked for his efforts; then, moved if possible.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If Gihula can fetch a ‘99 or 2000 born D to slot behind Candela & O’Grady, do it. Otherwise, wait for the talent to mature.
I doubt Gihula is in the dog house because of his defensive game. Maybe, the coach felt (1/30 games so far) that Gihula was his 13th best option on the road against a team chock full of bigger 19-20 year olds.
Move on from Lajeunesse ASAP. Gihula, Levin (soon), & finding out what McConville has is much more important to team going forward than playing Lajeunesse, who will be unlikely to re-stock the 4th pick used on him. He was very useful during a troubling injury period. He should be thanked for his efforts; then, moved if possible.

Gilhula is a minus-19 worst on team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Gilhula is a minus-19 worst on team.

+/- is a convenience stat. It is considered meaningless when using analylitics; but, pointed to when critiquing a player that is iked or disliked.
Pezzetta is -15, Carson is -6 in 40% of GP (-15 over 30 GP) in which time the team is considered to be playing better

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Game day wolves fans! The Wolf scents a win today!! Big big effort !!!

Mr. Snow is the call up.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How bad is the O'Grady injury? Saw it last night and it does not look good at all...

Significant time would be really bad for O’Grady and the wolves. During the last 6-8 games he was becoming that 1st round D the wolves paid 2,3,4,5 picks for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad