Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Well after an awful game last night the Wolves played a very decent game (with a very short bench) to end the season, firing forty five shots on net. A little more accuracy and they could have definitely won the game.
Best part about the game for me was the play of McGrath who came in for Frappier after the fourth goal and shut the Gens out with some stellar saves. He has the tools.
Now we can soon get on with putting this season behind. Interesting times to come.
Yeah the wolves had there chances hit the post a couple of times as well as the generals did, the generals were also missing there top players also and the rest we're just going through the motion, I think there was two hits in the game.
Sudbury season starts April 7th at the draft the 1st pick is a no brainer but have to hit a couple home run in the rest.have a great summer and get ready for the next hockey season could be a good one

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Getting Byfield is great (IF that's true, big IF) but our issues have been with drafting since 2010. If we could have another draft like last years plus a good Euro draft choice who will show up we could be in for a quick build just like Barrie did. Barrie knew they were finishing last and played their kids just like Stillman did this year plus there is some talent in all areas of the ice to build off of. It would be nice to upgrade the defense and the OA's if the price is right but the Wolves aren't in a bad spot going into the offseason. Papineau and the scouting staff need to make the right moves here unlike previous regimes.

Reactions: cub

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
It's always bothered me that so many people in Canada care about the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament but the average person seems to know a lot less about the (far superior) CHL Playoffs and Memorial Cup (obviously this is because of the dramatic single-elimination bracket format of March Madness and all the media attention it gets). I've always thought it would be fun though to fill out some sort of CHL playoff bracket but since I've never really found a good way to do it online, I decided to try creating my own for this year. Although it's a bit complicated and not the most user-friendly, there's step-by-step instructions on the website that should help. So even though the Wolves aren't in the playoffs this year, if want to give it a try go to: memorialcupbracket.weebly.com

Reactions: cub and Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
It's always bothered me that so many people in Canada care about the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament but the average person seems to know a lot less about the (far superior) CHL Playoffs and Memorial Cup (obviously this is because of the dramatic single-elimination bracket format of March Madness and all the media attention it gets). I've always thought it would be fun though to fill out some sort of CHL playoff bracket but since I've never really found a good way to do it online, I decided to try creating my own for this year. Although it's a bit complicated and not the most user-friendly, there's step-by-step instructions on the website that should help. So even though the Wolves aren't in the playoffs this year, if want to give it a try go to: memorialcupbracket.weebly.com
Great idea and good point. I was dumbfounded Friday night when someone in the season ticket lounge requested the Wolves game be changed in favour of college basketball and worse the less than friendly female attendant complied and was in agreement with the choice. In the Wolves season ticket lounge no less! Outrageous.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Yeah the wolves had there chances hit the post a couple of times as well as the generals did, the generals were also missing there top players also and the rest we're just going through the motion, I think there was two hits in the game.
Sudbury season starts April 7th at the draft the 1st pick is a no brainer but have to hit a couple home run in the rest.have a great summer and get ready for the next hockey season could be a good one
Thanks. The Gens could surprise in the playoffs, I like their depth.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I can see the wolves not taking a goalie until the 5th, I previously thought 3rd but the more I think the more I can see them looking for an impact player in the first 3 rounds. I'm hearing the wolves are looking hard at Owen Perala of the Vaughn Knights. He's from Thunder Bay with strong family ties to Sudbury. Just another player to think on. I'm really hoping we get Schleuting but I also really like the idea of a very offensive D. I can't see Hunter Brazier going very early, definitely after five but I'm hoping I'm wrong, since he's a Sudbury kid. Getting our NCAA players to report would be awesome but don't get hopes up. Finally I think Walker is more likely to stay but I know he loves the idea of playing hockey down south.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I’m really hoping McGrath can shine next year. Again he has the tools to be an excellent goaltender, not sure about Frappier (yet anyway). Jake’s problem has been consistency and possibly lack of confidence and mental toughness. Go Jake, I’m rooting for you.

Reactions: HockeyHell and cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I can see the wolves not taking a goalie until the 5th, I previously thought 3rd but the more I think the more I can see them looking for an impact player in the first 3 rounds. I'm hearing the wolves are looking hard at Owen Perala of the Vaughn Knights. He's from Thunder Bay with strong family ties to Sudbury. Just another player to think on. I'm really hoping we get Schleuting but I also really like the idea of a very offensive D. I can't see Hunter Brazier going very early, definitely after five but I'm hoping I'm wrong, since he's a Sudbury kid. Getting our NCAA players to report would be awesome but don't get hopes up. Finally I think Walker is more likely to stay but I know he loves the idea of playing hockey down south.

That make sense about Owen Perala, has a lot of family in Sudbury, also I believe friends with the Zulich family. Big boy, who plays a physical game, not sure exactly where he is projected. Imagine Byfield, and Perala that will increase the overall size on team.

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
That make sense about Owen Perala, has a lot of family in Sudbury, also I believe friends with the Zulich family. Big boy, who plays a physical game, not sure exactly where he is projected. Imagine Byfield, and Perala that will increase the overall size on team.
Last I heard the family wasn't even too sure but somewhere around 50. And yes Zulich friends. He's supposed to be quick as well as big. I don't know much on him, just heard whispers.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
How about Candella last night. Took a wicked follow through to the chops with around three minutes and change left in the third in a nothing game. How easy would it have been to go the room. The Oshawa announcers were quite impressed and beside themselves. As they said, that’s a hockey player. If that’s any reflection on his overall character he just gained a lot respect from me and would definitely weigh in my decision to keep him as an OA next year.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Last I heard the family wasn't even too sure but somewhere around 50. And yes Zulich friends. He's supposed to be quick as well as big. I don't know much on him, just heard whispers.

Im watching OHL Cup, so far what i see on Perala needs work on skating, I'm thinking he will be mid to later rounds.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Im watching OHL Cup, so far what i see on Perala needs work on skating, I'm thinking he will be mid to later rounds.
Exactly what I thought but I was confused as I heard that he was one of the fastest players on hs team and that he'd go about 50

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Exactly what I thought but I was confused as I heard that he was one of the fastest players on hs team and that he'd go about 50
No his foot speed is slow. See him getting picked around 6-8 round. I would stay away from him. We need speed and solid defensive guys.

WJ

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I agree, I say we take big, strong, elite skaters in the draft. We need a better skating team with some grit.

Agreed. Wolves need more players with break away speed, flying through the neutral zone.

Will be interesting to see what the "new team of scouts " have planned on draft day.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Sorry, trust me I want a much faster team, I’m of the opinion that speed is more important then size now and I wouldn’t pick for size. I was just stating what I had heard.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Perhaps but nothing is better than the combo of size and skill, likely why Byfield is so coveted. Obviously speed is key in today’s game but no way does that negate the need for or advantage of size and strength. North Bay doesn’t have that much speed throughought the lineup but they’re big and strong, and in the playoffs.

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
What the heck did Carson (indefinite) and Serentis (3 games) do to get suspended.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This is what I've been wondering and can someone please clarify the "Indefinite" suspension and exactly what that means
What the heck did Carson (indefinite) and Serentis (3 games) do to get suspended.

They attacked their opponent. There was not even a warning - we’re going whether you want to or not. Three for Serensits must be because it’s his first offence.
Something happened, some wolves were furious

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
They attacked their opponent. There was not even a warning - we’re going whether you want to or not. Three for Serensits must be because it’s his first offence.
Something happened, some wolves were furious
But when they say indefinite for Carson is that saying he can't play in the O anymore or they just haven't made a ruling on the length?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad